DIY Hennesy
    Tarp
    Sml asym & LG Rect
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    If you are making a sandwick with the synth in between pin pin pin. If you are going to turn it to hide the seams inside then _always_ put the synth insulation on the bottom. You may need to adjust the presser foot tension but if the insulation is on the top it is going to snag on the presser foot and cause no end of blue air. Don't ask me how I know this.
    You are right, I should have used a lot more pins. I put them every 8 inches and it was not nearly enough. I also had a hard time keeping the fabric from getting folds sewn in. I ended up having to do a bit of seem ripping. Sewing the silnylon is also tricky because it is so slick.
    "I wish I had a swing like that in my back yard"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Sorry if I sounded harsh. The reason I brought it up is I've heard dealers and people with a vested interest in sales make the same comment. It just don't make sense to me. Go with the older machines with out a care as long as the needles and bobbins for them are available. With some really ancient machines this can be a problem but most rotary bobbin machines can still be outfitted.
    No worries. I was speaking more out of speculation.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies /straps
    Images
    We got a Kenmore that had been used maybe twice for $50 off Craigslist. Still had box and all paperwork. Looked like it just came from the store. I convinced the wife she would enjoy sewing knowing good and well I would use it more. You don't need anything fancy, just a half way decent machine that you clean and oil like you are suppose to. I think practice and patience are more important. Oh, and when working with nylon especially, MORE PINS!!!!!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I bought and older machine from GoodWill for $29.00 USD. It is a Brother, nice shape, works great.

Then I was poking around the Salvation Army shop, I found a Kayak PFD for $3.00 and a Singer Slant Needle, 1977, everything included, manual, accessories and a walking foot all for $9.00 USD. So now I have two elderly sewing machines, then I went to a yard sale on Sunday afternoon, I stopped to look at a machine, the guy told me it was not working very well. He also said if I bought his parachute he would give me the sewing machine, a US Army duffle bag and a pet carrier, we made a deal for 20 dollars.

All three machines are metal, really heavy, sew better than my newer fancy machine. On the Sally Ann machine I just wanted the Walking Foot, the machine and accessories were cheaper than the walking foot alone.

Keep looking read the Rev's suggestions, they will guide you. Sometimes you can make an offer of a price much lower than the asking price and get the lower price. I make a effort to be respectful when I negotiate for a lower price.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I bought and older machine from GoodWill for $29.00 USD. It is a Brother, nice shape, works great.

Then I was poking around the Salvation Army shop, I found a Kayak PFD for $3.00 and a Singer Slant Needle, 1977, everything included, manual, accessories and a walking foot all for $9.00 USD. So now I have two elderly sewing machines, then I went to a yard sale on Sunday afternoon, I stopped to look at a machine, the guy told me it was not working very well. He also said if I bought his parachute he would give me the sewing machine, a US Army duffle bag and a pet carrier, we made a deal for 20 dollars.

All three machines are metal, really heavy, sew better than my newer fancy machine. On the Sally Ann machine I just wanted the Walking Foot, the machine and accessories were cheaper than the walking foot alone.

Keep looking read the Rev's suggestions, they will guide you. Sometimes you can make an offer of a price much lower than the asking price and get the lower price. I make a effort to be respectful when I negotiate for a lower price.
    I fully understand. I am going back to the store today to check it out again. I work in law enforcement so they usually cut me deals anyway, but seeing how I didnt even know what VSM was I figured I would ask. I have now googled and know who makes it. When I go back I will double check model. it was a newer looking (ie plastic not medal and newer looking buttons not dials) . I am sure I will have a huge learning curve regardless of which one I get, I was just trying to make sure i could get something that isnt a POS.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234