Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did I just ruin my sleeping bag?

I just made an international move and had limited space. I had ship my sleeping bag compressed and just now got it. It was compressed for....4 months and its a TNF Cats Meow (synthetic bag). Its been in the basement unrolled and I keep fluffing it but its a shadow of its former self. Did I ruin it?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    You could try washing and drying it well and see if that improves the loft. It probably won't help like it would in a down bag, but worth a try. My dad refuses to hang his sleeping bag and has always stored it stuffed (but not compressed) year after year. It's probably 15 years old and he never seems to have a problem.

I'm not 100% convinced about the "proper" way to store sleeping bags, so I just leave them somewhat loose in large pillow cases or the included mesh storage sacks.

Yeah, mine was in the stuff sack all tightened down to the size of a football all that time...hopefully I don't freeze my first night in it.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Run it in your dryer with a couple of tennis balls. Run the heat on delicate ... low or no heat at all. I think you'll notice a big difference

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    I have a meow too. It's never stored stuffed, but it is compressed fairly tight when I travel.
    Last trip I could have sworn it didn't loft as well as last time and I was colder than expected...
    Maybe these guys don't like compression?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I'd wash it and dry it in a tumbling dryer with tennis balls or old sneakers. There is a good chance a lot of the filler is stuck together with the sizing the factory uses to keep the fiber manageable while handling and sewing. Washing will remove a lot of that letting the fibers loft better. In your case probably a lot better.
    Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I too had a cats meow-------loved it and used it alot, but made a mistake---used a compressor stuff sack a few times (I didnt know better) Between the age (6 years?) use (?) and over compressing it, the loft was gone. I would say it went from a 20 degree bag to a 50 degree bag. (that is one big advantage to down---its longevity if properly stored )
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My experience with synthetics is that over one summer of VERY active use (35 nights or more of packing/unpacking), my daughter lost about one-third of the loft.

The old "rules" still apply...synthetics are cheaper, heavier and not so durable. Down is expensive, lighter and can last for many years.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    UKHammocks Woodsmanx
    Tarp
    hilleberg tarp10ul
    Insulation
    Pad and Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Wash it then dry in in the tumble with tennis balls at least 4 of them then of you can sit dry it further and shake it often and it will came back.

another vote for fluff (no heat) cycle in the dryer with tennis balls or dryer balls.
    if it's not dirty, I'm not sure I'd mess with running it through the washing machine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast