Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

grand trunk stock suspension

I am sure there is a link in here somewhere, but I can't find it. I just got a grand trunk with standard suspension. S clips on each end and 2 pieces of cord. What knots loop or whatever to I tie.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Moss Parawing
    Insulation
    REI Sub-Kilo
    Suspension
    webbing 'n 'biners
    Treestrap - to GT cord with around 4 overhand knots tied in it to make multiple lengths-then "S" hook to hammock's loop. Change which loop of the overhand knots your "S" hook connects to to lengthen or shorten the suspension for comfort/optimum hang.

The GT stock rope and "S" hooks are technically functional but there are MUCH better affordable setups for suspension available in both DIY and Commercially available from the forums vendors. I often switch back and forth between DIY woopie slings (< $20) and webbing with pairs of descender rings or carabiners(<$30), both my setups are DIY and very easy to adjust to get the lay of the hammock just right.
    Last edited by 2.ooohhh; 08-28-2012 at 16:19.
    “Rivets are the new duct tape.”

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Moss Parawing
    Insulation
    REI Sub-Kilo
    Suspension
    webbing 'n 'biners
    I couldn't find an illustration of an overhand loop that I liked so I just tied and example set for you. It's my headphone cord doubled then I tied a pair of overhand knots and a figure 8 as the last knot at the loose ends.

Whole shebang.

Overhand.

Figure 8.
    “Rivets are the new duct tape.”

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.ooohhh View Post
    I couldn't find an illustration of an overhand loop that I liked so I just tied and example set for you. It's my headphone cord doubled then I tied a pair of overhand knots and a figure 8 as the last knot at the loose ends.

Whole shebang.

Overhand.

Figure 8.
    thanks very much. I will give it a try if its not raining tomorrow. I have read a great deal about custom suspension, and even have some amteel on the way. I was just trying to hang what I got in the package.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    well I wouldn't call it a success, but I tried it out in my backyard. Tied one end to my sons swingset and the other to a splitrail fence. I had some stretching and creaking but it held. That would be my hammock and knots. Next time I will take pictures.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    I'm going to carabiners at both ends of the whoopie slings. At the lower end I can then treat the hammock as another piece of equipment like the adjustable ridge line and underquilt, all working independently for maximum flexibility. I imagine all kinds of things will end up hanging from the carabiners! LOL

I used a chisel and three-pound mallet to take the S-hooks off the GT UL. At first I tied the suspension directly to the hammock's rope but now all will hang on the carabiners, handy as they are. I'm a big fan of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    I'm going to carabiners at both ends of the whoopie slings. At the lower end I can then treat the hammock as another piece of equipment like the adjustable ridge line and underquilt, all working independently for maximum flexibility. I imagine all kinds of things will end up hanging from the carabiners! LOL

I used a chisel and three-pound mallet to take the S-hooks off the GT UL. At first I tied the suspension directly to the hammock's rope but now all will hang on the carabiners, handy as they are. I'm a big fan of 'em.
    I just got a grand trunk ultralight in the mail. To keep it simple I just replaced the stock black cord and iron S-hooks with climbing carabiners through the sewn end of the hammock. I'm going to marlin-spike my 6' webbing cargo straps using the top side of the carabiner as the spike while the hammock fabric gathers on the thin end. The cam buckles on the cargo straps are ridiculously heavy, however I'm going to keep these cargo straps intact in case I need to use them as motorbike tow straps.

I see a lot of complex setups for suspension, and mine seems to be much simpler. I could add a ridgeline onto my carabiners with some cord and a tautline hitch or just dial in 83% length with non-adjustable knots.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMoto View Post
    I just got a grand trunk ultralight in the mail. To keep it simple I just replaced the stock black cord and iron S-hooks with climbing carabiners through the sewn end of the hammock. I'm going to marlin-spike my 6' webbing cargo straps using the top side of the carabiner as the spike while the hammock fabric gathers on the thin end. The cam buckles on the cargo straps are ridiculously heavy, however I'm going to keep these cargo straps intact in case I need to use them as motorbike tow straps.

I see a lot of complex setups for suspension, and mine seems to be much simpler. I could add a ridgeline onto my carabiners with some cord and a tautline hitch or just dial in 83% length with non-adjustable knots.
    Sounds like a good solution, DC. A webbing and buckle system is very nice but I'm happy with carabiners.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie&amp; strap
    Images
    get rid of those stock suspenson cords and do anything else ,mine failed the first time i put any real weight on them.
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    get rid of those stock suspenson cords and do anything else ,mine failed the first time i put any real weight on them.
    they made a lot of noise with my fat *** in the back yard. I have amstel coming and will look to do a diy tree straps. I was just asking because thats what came with it and I wanted to play with my new toy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast