Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Walmart Fabric
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Strap & Carabiner

Florida Panhandle Hangers Support Group.

Hi, I'm Fred... and I'm addicted to hanging.

Darn you Shug!

I caught some interest in the idea of hammock hanging. Shug and his videos really helped fan the flames.

I've done several hammock overnighters since I caught the bug. My original plan was to use it while camping on the bicycle. I had given up on hiking, because I had been spoiled by my days of backpacking in the mountains of New Hampshire.

A much younger version of myself, and Oscar.

Well, I recently did a very short solo backpacking trek through a local swamp, and had a blast.

My wife and I did a car camping trip, and she even gave sleeping in the hammock a try, and loved it. What we did was mostly car touring of Blackwater State Forest, what a great place!

She's quite the catch...

I've been to Blackwater on two other over night trips. One where I mostly drove around scouting for a future trip. The other was when I was giving my bicycle packing system a trial run.

I know there's more like me out there. I've seen you posting not he forums. The first step is to admit we have a problem. The next step is to gather up our gear, and get out and enjoy our addiction. So, feel free to give your own testimonial, and maybe we can get a few folks out on a group hang for the area.

I know I just got here, and this is crazy, here's my hammock, hang with me maybe?

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    There are several of us on here from the Panhandle area though I have yet to meet them. I am in Tally. When 'ell freezes over, er, when it cools off around here we should get a weekend hang organized. I would suggest the primitive area at Torreya or maybe the state park at St. George.

Me at the beach in the Blackbird this past summer. It was so windy I couldn't put the trap up.

--Louis
    Last edited by louisfb; 08-29-2012 at 10:30.

Hammock
    DIY Walmart Fabric
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Strap & Carabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by louisfb View Post
    There are several of us on here from the Panhandle area though I have yet to meet them.
    Hello Louis! I was noticing how many people were on here that were in the area, and was surprised that there was no gathering of the folks yet.

Thanks for joining in, maybe we can get some people together here.

Buffalo Skipper has mentioned the site at Torreya, and it sounds great. My only concern is the "legality" of hanging in the parks. As I understand it, they have a rule against tying things to trees, and the number of either dedicated trees, or installed hammock posts is probably somewhat limited.

I'm planning on checking out Pine Log State Forest for potential hiking/camping.

I've got a friend who wants me to join him on a bike trip through Tate's Hell. I dunno, after the last trip I went on with him, I'm not sure I want to trust him taking me to a place with Hell in the name...

Blackwater State Forest has unlimited options. Unfortunately, the Point Washington State Forest doesn't allow any overnight use of it's property at this time. This is really sad since I am just about surrounded by it.

Lake Talquin State Forest has a 9 mile hiking trail that loops, with camp sites long the lake.

The first map doesn't show the camp sites, but is a clearer map. The second map while a little fuzzy, shows the camp sites.

I'm sure there's also plenty of WMA's available. I did a very short hike on the Lafayette Creek WMA recently. The Florida Trail cuts through this area. There's a section that Buffalo Skipper wrote about that's just west of where I hiked, but it's on Eglin Air force base land. Not a big deal, but they do require a permit to use the land, as well as a permit for camping.

As to the FL trail, it also cuts through a pretty long stretch of the Econfina WMA. I noticed on the website they have a group camping form, I'll have to look into what that's about...

Hmmm, just noticing there's quite a few places for hanging listed here, it might make a good spin off thread of it's own...
    Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 08-29-2012 at 11:02.

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    You can hang at designated areas in FL state parks now, you just have to use tree straps. The great thing about the primitive are at Torreya is it is high on a bluff overlooking the Appalachicola river and there is some good hiking trails there.

You mentioned the Florida Trail. The Apalachee Chapter in Tally will be doing a hike of the 150 miles that they maintain in November. I plan to join for at least 10 days and will be taking the hammock. Both the Panhandle and Apalachee Chapters have meetups with all their hikes listed.

--louis

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by louisfb View Post
    There are several of us on here from the Panhandle area though I have yet to meet them. I am in Tally. When 'ell freezes over, er, when it cools off around here we should get a weekend hang organized. I would suggest the primitive area at Torreya or maybe the state park at St. George.

Me at the beach in the Blackbird this past summer. It was so windy I couldn't put the trap up.

--Louis
    your profile pic ,is that the steel bridge on hwy 90 over the suwannee?
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Yep, was on a day hike testing out my new pack last spring.

--louis

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    sweet, been on it many times. it was interesting when there was traffic on it them were the days. I have a place on the river just down from there in Dowling Park
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    All you NW florida hangers, don't forget the 3rd Annual Florida Hang in Ocala in Jan.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    All you NW florida hangers, don't forget the 3rd Annual Florida Hang in Ocala in Jan.
    Already signed up and told the wife I am going. Looking forward to it.

--louis

Hammock
    DIY Walmart Fabric
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Strap & Carabiner
    Is there a link to more information on this gathering?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast