Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hankster747 View Post
    been looking to try group hang and am intrested. Canoe trip is a plus! Any imfo that i might need would be a great. Thanks
    Howdy Hankster.

Info?

Well, on the canoeing side, my first question would be how much paddling experience you have? The trip won't be too arduous. Little Trout's about 10 km in, so if we stay there then expect 2-3 hours of paddling. If we chose Ralph Bice, half that. It's really just a short jaunt into the Park.

On the hammocking side, again, what's your experience and gear level? The nights can get pretty chilly in late September, so you'll want to have gear appropriate to the forecast plus a bit for a safety margin. I've got my standard 3+ season kit that's taken me through summer to deep winter's low minus twenties celcius. Overkill perhaps.. To each their own.
    Last edited by Chard; 09-10-2012 at 08:15.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

Should be a nice little paddle.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    We went through there in the spring. Most of the hits and catches were on Little Trout Lake. We stayed on Queer Lake .... and the fishing sucks there.

Check the fishing regs .... you might only get one day of fishing before it closes.

The portages are all nice and easy with very little elevation change. The put in at Ralph Bice was a bit mucky both times I was through there. The paddle is awesome. For new or inexperienced paddlers, there is lots of places to keep out of the wind, if need be.

After almost 20 years of interior camping in APP, saw my first black bear that wasn't in the visitor center. He was about half way along the 2400m portage at the end of Queer Lake.

Kinda upset that I can't make this trip.....was so looking forward to a fall hang in the park. Enjoy
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodster View Post
    We went through there in the spring. Most of the hits and catches were on Little Trout Lake. We stayed on Queer Lake .... and the fishing sucks there.

Check the fishing regs .... you might only get one day of fishing before it closes.
    Yeah, we did also did way better on Little Trout, part of the reason I want to camp there. Season closes Sept 30th, so we'll be okay for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodster View Post
    The portages are all nice and easy with very little elevation change. The put in at Ralph Bice was a bit mucky both times I was through there. The paddle is awesome. For new or inexperienced paddlers, there is lots of places to keep out of the wind, if need be.

After almost 20 years of interior camping in APP, saw my first black bear that wasn't in the visitor center. He was about half way along the 2400m portage at the end of Queer Lake.

Kinda upset that I can't make this trip.....was so looking forward to a fall hang in the park. Enjoy
    Well sorry you can't make it, but thanks for the trip tips. Maybe there'll be time for another quick trip before ice-up.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I HIGHLY recommend the site on the south shore, right at the first 4 in 447 on the map in Chards last post....gorgeous site!
    Chard is afraid of bears, so he'll probably want the island
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    3 season plus gear for chard means shorts and a wool sweater, LOL. Sounds like a good route, I'll talk to the old man when I get home.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    Chard is afraid of bears, so he'll probably want the island
    And lions and tigers, Oh my!!

Afraid!?! Me? Indeed sir! My manly pride has been wounded! Pepper sprays at dawn! Actually what I fear more is the ridicule and perpetual "told-you-so's" my wife and kids would unleash on me if ever anything did happen!!

Islands!?! da-mn straight!! In all the years I've canoeing, I've always preferred islands. I just think that they're less likely to encounter a random bear wandering the shorelines. At least that's the theory, and it's panned out for what's is technically 3 or 4 "coon's ages".

A word of advice: Please don't feed the bears!!!! Family photo of one of our typical trips in Algonquin. I survived, but he licked all of the hair off the top of my head!!! I've been bald ever since.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I am getting antsy already. Gonna be a long 3 weeks!

Hammock
    WWBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    Burrow&Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing or whoopie
    Sorry for not getting back to you but work crazy hours! I have been canoe tripping for years and should have trouble with this. I have been sleeping in hammock in warm weather the past five years and love it but not for my spring trips (still crossing over).
    I know i can get a few days off to make this and am looking forward to it. I got my own boat and will be coming solo. Any fee other imfo let me know
    I do have a 16' prospector so would be more than happy with any body who want paddle with me as its a pig to paddle solo if it's windy!
    Last edited by hankster747; 09-11-2012 at 03:19.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hankster: That's good to hear... I just checked Kearney's 14 day forecast (for what it's worth) and saw that for the week preceeding our trip, the daily highs averaged around 17C and the lows around 10C. Even though I expect the park to be a few degrees colder, that's still not too bad. If you want, post some details on your sleeping gear (top/bottom). The EGL has some amazing gearheads, and a good many of us have built our own gear. I'm sure you'd get enough tips and suggestions to keep you warm and snug. I've also got a small one-man tent (Eureka Mountain Pass 1XT) that's available.

Group:
    Quick check on canoes: As we get a little closer, we can start to think about partnering up. As far as I can tell, we have upwards of eight people coming so far and three canoes (mine, Hankster's and Dant8ro's). Arrangements will have to be made closer to the end of the month. Car-pooling's always a sensible way of doing things.

Quick check on food: No doubt there'll be a fire both nights so grilling's an option (mmm. lamb chops). I know everyone likes to experiment with preparing and bringing their own food, but is anybody interested in some group meals, like a repeat of the awesome goulash or some clam/trout chowder as a side-dish for dinner? Maybe some bacon and eggs/pancakes for breakfast? I'm fine either way.

Quick check on group gear: As always, depending on the weather forecast, a couple of group tarps might be in order. I have a large guide's tarp (4mx3m) that I'll throw in the car just in case. Also, the site will likely have a grill, but we may want to bring in a smaller one just in case. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Chard; 09-11-2012 at 10:32.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast