View Poll Results: Would you use a Motorcycle Hammocking Thread?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 40.91%
  • No

48 54.55%
  • Inappropriate

4 4.55%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    eno double nest, 12'r, 90x132"r
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12 :D
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    id like to see this too.

motorcycle camping isnt like canoe or car camping. very limited space. and weight limits. uneven loads can cause handling issues. so weight and compact-ability is still important to us non touring bikers. i ride a sport bike and only have a total of 80L of storage, most of which is stuff to repair the bike on the roadside. so yes please
    Last edited by ahhhgladius; 08-30-2012 at 05:59. Reason: rebuttal
    Glory to the Fallen, Honor to the Lost. Faith to the Missing. Carry on Forever.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    Is it separate topics or separate posts that count?
    Topics. The forum is organized by threads. It wouldn't make sense to have a subforum with just a handful of threads in it.

If you do an advanced search using canoe or kayak in topic, there's only 8 topics that come up, and 2 of them are not in Paddling.
    Actually, there are 62 results for canoe and 104 for kayak and they share a subforum. But searching for words used only in titles in a bit erroneous. Those words often get used in titles for hangouts and trip reports, etc. For what it's worth the same search for motorcycle shows 26 threads, most in the hangouts forum.

I think it's great that you are passionate about motorcycle hammock camping! It sounds like a great way to travel and camp, and no doubt there are any number of topics that are specific to it. How to pack a hammock kit on a bike, how to balance that load, whether to plan tarp coverage for the bike, etc etc. All great info to bring up.

Nobody is saying you can't talk about those issues here. We're just saying that there just aren't yet enough threads to need a subforum for it. Keep posting though, I'm sure there will be.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    As sa biker first and hanger second, I would support this. Personally, I haven't posted any questions on it here for two reasons: i) I'm quite new here, so it hasn't really ocurred to me :-) and ii) I wouldn't have wanted to be off-topic. The latter point is my strongest argument for such a forum, because with it I would post questions which I otherwise perhaps would think didn't belong in this forum. Maybe I'm just too self-restrictive with forums..

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    There aren't enough motorcycle/hammocking threads right now to justify a subforum for organizational purposes. That is the reasoning behind why/when subforums get created.

If you want a subforum for that, then post more discussion topics specific to traveling that way with a hammock.
    OK then, fasten your seat belts...unless you are a rider.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    In a forum dedicated to hammock camping I do not see anything unique about motor cycle camping compared to backpacking/canoeing/car camping. That puts the question of what would be special about it that needs a separate group the rest of us would not be either interested in or capable of making useful comments on occasion. Answer that and you may have a point to talk from.
    Dual purpose takes on a whole new world with moto travel. Like I can use bungee cords for my tarps and moto luggage (my gas tank can fill my multi fuel stove too). Balance is huge when loading as is space (more so than weight though weight is still a consideration) and my aluminum side cases serve as bear boxes. There are occasions when your motorcycle can be used in setting up camp. There is a big difference between carrying your kit on your back and in a cage (car for you non riders) and an even bigger difference between motorcycle camping and the first two.

Ultimately Moto hammocking is a fairly new venue for many and riders are beginning to have specific questions in lands (read sites) where the language is normally not spoken. We are not understood on moto sites and even at times on sites primarily oriented to backpacking.

Oh and as a rider (obviously) I support a motorcycle slot in the basement here. It would be extra useful for riders looking for more specific hammock info and yet another draw to donate. HF would get much attention from major moto sites like Adventure Rider (many members here already) and Pashnit simply because we refer folk here when they have questions. Is that enough? I could go on...
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 08-30-2012 at 11:56.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    How many separate topics does it take? How many total posts?

Are you a motorcycle camper?
    Read some of those other threads and you'll see that I am a motorcycle camper.

I just haven't seen all that much interest so far to warrant a sub-forum. AS and the other mods would know that better than us though.

I wouldn't mind a sub-forum. I just personally don't see the necessity. I would participate though.

Vote away! It's a free country.
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 08-30-2012 at 12:56.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    eno double nest, 12'r, 90x132"r
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12 :D
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    i can carry my tarp, suspension and hammock in a small tank back. but that doesnt account for my insulation. or other gear.

Images
    I get my hammock "Fix" here...

I get my moto camper "Fix" here..
    http://www.motocampers.com
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    If you post you questions and include MC or motorcycle in the thread or title they are easly searched
    Just my figuring

I have riden for years,
    many different types of bikes, Brits, American, and Japanese,
    but not a unicycle, only crazy funny people would dare do that.

You can drive a screw,
    You can drive cattle,
    Your ol' lady can drive you to drinkin' and driving a hot rod Lincoln,
    and you can even Richard Drivis,
    But you can never drive a motorcycle,
    you ride it, and hopefully with finesse. )

Just me drinkin' . . . I mean thinkin'

PS.took out the unessesary parts
    Last edited by Bradley; 08-30-2012 at 19:27.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    When you want to camp a ways away from where you leave your bike, do you do anything to secure it? I'm considering the wisdom, or foolishness, of a camo cover, and laying it down to cover it with brush if the tank won't leak, etc.

My worry is the bike won't be where I've left it. A local meetup hiking group is having a rash of car break-ins where they park to hike. What's to keep them from rolling a bike into a pickup?

Maybe I'm concerned over nothing, but I'd like to hear what others have done about securing your bikes when you hike and hang away from them.

Thanks in advance.

This type of conversation doesn't really fit in any other forum, yet is very part and parcel to hammock camping, hiking, etc. when a motorcycle is part of your transportation and recreation.

I just figure there's no harm in a motorcycle sub forum to make things a little more friendly and welcoming to hanging riders. Having a motorcycle space would encourage more posts, just as the number of paddling posts rose in 2009 when they got their own space.

Maybe we should make more motorcycle topics instead of stacking them hundreds deep under one topic... Maybe also include the word "motorcycle" in your signature so that ups the counts as well. Maybe that would help justify the creation of such a sub forum.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Maybe also include the word "motorcycle" in your signature so that ups the counts as well. Maybe that would help justify the creation of such a sub forum.
    That won't help, and will actually harm search results. We count threads, not search hits.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast