Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

An integrated sheet hammock

My daughter is three and I've already got her swinging free in her own hammock. Many moons ago I made her a GE hammock that was smaller and made from some random piece of fabric I had at home.

Daughters hammock by pappy2012, on Flickr

Fast forward to this current moon and I've updated my GE porch hammock to include mini-spreader bars. I wanted to do the same for her and at the same time add a bed sheet layer to the hammock that is more pleasant against the skin.

IMG_0565 by pappy2012, on Flickr

I made my hammock the width I wanted by cutting a piece of fabric in half and sewing them along the edge of the main fabric piece. It ended up being to wide so instead of cutting it off I just shortened the channels and left the fabric hanging. This ended up being really nice because it was like having permanent small blankets on each side to wrap up in when I nap or when its a bit chilly out.

For my daughters hammock I wanted to include the blanket feature. but instead of small ones on each end I sewed the layers together so all the extra fabric was on one side.

IMG_0567 by pappy2012, on Flickr

I sewed on tie outs so the blanket can be gathered when not needed.

IMG_0566 by pappy2012, on Flickr

For the mini-bars I used endcaps I made for a bridge hammock and bamboo to make the spreader bars. I didn't have any amsteel around so I used 550 cord. A thirty pound girl barely makes the 550 cord stretch so I wont be changing the rope anytime soon.

IMG_0564 by pappy2012, on Flickr

IMG_0563 by pappy2012, on Flickr

This a porch and park hammock so weight isn't much of an issue. Having the mini-bars for a short, thick, and multiple layers of fabric hammock really makes it comfortable and I would say an essential feature. The blanket/sheet mod is really convenient and I think from this point on if I make a lounging hammock that I will include the this feature. This isn't the typical type of hammock on the forums but I thought it might be useful for those who also like to have a lounging hammock at home.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Some good thinking outside the box here. The blanket attached along one edge of the hammock is a cool idea, especially for small child, or a 50 year old child like me.

I sleep full time in a hammock but even after a couple years the one thing i still struggle with is how my blanket or top quilt gets all twisted and bunched up. I may experiment with your idea.

Thanks.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I may experiment with your idea.
    Please share what you create! Here are some photos of my hammock which is made from muslin and some decorative/drape fabric. I have 13 inches worth "blankets" on both sides. Its fine for naps and relaxation but I'm not sure how great it would be for overnight sleeping. I'm sure my daughters hammock would be ideal for your purposes. Since my blankets used to be channels the folded over sides do not allow for each side to lay across the hammock perfectly.

If you do attach the sheet make sure to attach it under the end channels. Actually, you probably would only need to attached the sheet from the foot end up to the point where you most commonly lay your head. Another thought would be to attach the foot end of the blanket under the channel and then the head end so folds around the channel so it doesn't want to cover your face. I'm sure you will come up with a plan that is amazing. Like an old woman I took care of used to tell me, It's your world!

IMG_0574 by pappy2012, on Flickr

IMG_0575 by pappy2012, on Flickr

IMG_0577 by pappy2012, on Flickr

The image bellow is of the end channel.

IMG_0573 by pappy2012, on Flickr

The arm in the previous picture belongs to the bigger guy.

IMG_0571 by pappy2012, on Flickr

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Paprika, This is an interesting idea. I'm trying to understand it all from the text, but most of the photos seem to have disappeared ("Unavailable") on Flickr. Could you please post the pictures again, maybe in the Hammock Forums gallery? Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    For some reason my photos just disappeared from flickr. I emailed flickr about the issue and they had no clue as to what happened. I guess some things can disappear from the internet! I took some new photos to show you what I did. Both hammocks have the blanket/sheet from end to end. I've been wondering if that is necessary and was thinking that a person could have the sheet start lower on the hammock side and still cover up them up nicely.

photo 1 by pappy2012, on Flickr

photo 3 by pappy2012, on Flickr

photo 4 by pappy2012, on Flickr

photo 5 by pappy2012, on Flickr

photo 2 by pappy2012, on Flickr

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Paprika, thanks for the new photos! Yes, things DO disappear on the internet. I know several people who have lost photos they put up on Flickr, Picasa, PhotoBucket, etc.

I like your mini spreader bars. You did a really nice job on this! I agree -- perhaps the covers could be attached only about 1/3 of the length and still stay put well enough. I may need to make this for my grand-daughter. She loves to sleep in my "guest" hammock when she comes to visit, but she gets all tangled up in the coverlet. This could be her very own hammock, sized to fit and in her favorite colors. Thanks for sharing this idea!

• + New Posts