Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    I have actually only used my RR on two weekend hikes. I find it very comfortable, the UQ is a great design and is super easy to use and very effective. The Cloudburst tarp is huge and provides expansive living space.

But in the end it makes a relatively large and heavy package to carry, and I find traditional hammocks more comfortable. My current set up is a Darien UL and a Hammock Gear cuben tarp. I am going to sell both of my bridge hammocks and associated gear.
    Well, that makes sense. Like I said, if you don't find a bridge at least a little more comfy, then it hardly makes sense to deal with all of the bridge extras. Of course, plenty of people do find them more comfy, and enough so to deal with it.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    wow that cloud burst is a monster, his website states like 10x12 ft. i believe?? man it looks way bigger than my HH Hex witch is the same size, maybe it isnt? I want 1, can any1 clear this up 4 me. is it bigger than the hex

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I received my second RR of which is a single layer with no bug net about 4 weeks ago, and been sleeping in it every nite. This hammock is strickly stock with no modifcations on the dog bones, or suspension, and I am using the 4 inch extension in it. I was previously using a 40 degree UQ from Te-Wa with a extra oz of down and it weighs in at 10.7 oz and fits the RR perfectly and was getting rather too warm in it and switched out to my modified to fit the RR with a 50 degree Jarbidge Synthetic quilt by Arrowhead which weighs in at about 14 oz, and is my perfect to use, hot summer, UQ vented. The lay in this stock RR is as perfect as my modified if not better slightly, so just wanted to post in this thread to keep it going for BillyBob58. Temps at nite are 67 with the air blowing directly on me with a 50 degree TQ from Underground Quilts, and sleeping in the all but buff. And as perfect a lay is this its the greatest for my back of which I havn't had a lower vertebre problem now for going on 15 months.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar View Post
    wow that cloud burst is a monster, his website states like 10x12 ft. i believe?? man it looks way bigger than my HH Hex witch is the same size, maybe it isnt? I want 1, can any1 clear this up 4 me. is it bigger than the hex
    There are 2 HH hex tarps, a sil-nylon and another one. The ( about $139) is 12 ft long by 10 ft wide, 18.6 oz. The other one is $79, weighs 23 oz, and weighs 23 oz, and has the same length/width. I have had both. The sil-nylon indeed has a 12 ft length, but my cheaper/heavier model had an 11 ft RL. I notified HH and they said they did not realize this, and they would change the specs. It's about 5 or 6 years later and I see they never corrected this. But the one I had was not as big as the sil-nylon model.

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I received my second RR of which is a single layer with no bug net about 4 weeks ago, and been sleeping in it every nite. This hammock is strickly stock with no modifcations on the dog bones, or suspension, and I am using the 4 inch extension in it. I was previously using a 40 degree UQ from Te-Wa with a extra oz of down and it weighs in at 10.7 oz and fits the RR perfectly and was getting rather too warm in it and switched out to my modified to fit the RR with a 50 degree Jarbidge Synthetic quilt by Arrowhead which weighs in at about 14 oz, and is my perfect to use, hot summer, UQ vented. The lay in this stock RR is as perfect as my modified if not better slightly, so just wanted to post in this thread to keep it going for BillyBob58. Temps at nite are 67 with the air blowing directly on me with a 50 degree TQ from Underground Quilts, and sleeping in the all but buff. And as perfect a lay is this its the greatest for my back of which I havn't had a lower vertebre problem now for going on 15 months.
    This is a clear example- seems to me - of someone who fits in the category where the extra weight, wide spreader bars(vs tarps) and length are all well worth the trouble.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-09-2013 at 21:38.

Images
    The CB has an 11' ridgeseam and is 10' wide, we always list our specs like this as do most companies, length is the ridgeseam length, width is the widest part, so for instance the MJ, the CB and the SF all have 132" ridgeseam and are 10' wide at their widest, but that doesn't mean they're the same size...one is a hex, one a rectangle, and one has doors on the ends so the coverage is different. Square footage would be a good spec but nobody does that currently and it can be hard to figure with curved edges and such. A 11'x10' rectangle will have alot more coverage than an 11'x10' hex. Two 11x10 hexes may (will likely) have different coverage depending on how much taper there is (how long the ground edge is in comparison to the ridge seam) often companies shorten the ground edge of a hex to shave weight or lengthen it to provide better coverage at the ends, for instance we recently changed the Edge dimensions, we made the ground edge longer for better end coverage

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    I would have to agree! After spending 3 nights in a row in the hammock, it is the most comfort and ease of use (perfect lay) I've ever had in the woods.

For a 9oz weight penalty, I'll cut elsewhere in my load out to allow a great night sleep. I found myself spending a large portion of the day lounging in the hammock because the bugs in southern VA this time of year are insane. No discomfort, or learning curve at all. Just pitch the foot end a few inches higher than the head, and it lays just like your bed at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

WBRR and Cloudburst combo

I'm still a little on the fence about the setup. I just received my cloudburst to go with my WBRR and spent a night in the back yard. Right after I set up the tarp to get the guylines installed we had one of the worst storms of the summer blow through. I watched out the window and saw the tarp flap and puff but it stayed put and there was as big dry spot under it when I checked later so it did the job. The soft sandy ground here in FL, the way I had it rigged, and the tarp stretch added to the flap but it was certainly manageable.

After the storm I went out and re-hung it in a much lower and tighter pitch and set up my WBRR. I rigged up my hiking poles to cantilever and pull out the tarp sides at the head end more than the foot. For the first time I'm rigging the tarp under my CRL due to the slightly cat-cut ridgeline on the Cloudburst. I'm still on the fence as to how I like this vs having the tarp over the ridgeline. As a compromise I might just run the CRL through the end loops to give it a bit more structure. The Cloudburst has a bit more stretch than I'm used to on other tarps (OES) since it doesn't have a tape edging. This will probably be an advantage once I get used to it and it's certainly lighter.

Since the Cloudburst has an 11' ridgeline I'll probably want a little extra coverage at the head end if really nasty weather rolls in. Next step is to figure out a good way to rig my poncho as a beak. The suspension triangles do hang out but I don't see that as a problem. I keep meaning to add some drip lines but just keep forgetting to do it. I believe any water running down the suspension will be minimal and the majority will run and drip once it hits the aluminum bits that hold the spreader bars.

When it comes to comfort I'd have to say I agree that my Hennessy Explorer UL is more comfortable. That's very subjective though. The gathered end just seems to wrap up and around me but without really squeezing any one area. The WBRR has a much better view, it's easy to insulate (just cram a pad in the sleeve). It reminds me just a bit of laying on a military cot hanging in mid air. The lay is much flatter but the narrow section around the waist just bug me a bit when I move around.

Overall this will be my cool weather, short hike or car camping setup. A had Brandon send me the heavy duty pole for the head end (better safe than sorry) so the weight penalty (bridge+pad or gathered+UQ) advantage goes to the gathered by quite a bit. My hiking poles won't really work as spreader bars and I use them to put the tarp in "porch mode" or to help pull out the sides anyway.

I love both setups and will simply use them in different ways. I also drive a beater import to work (good gas mileage) and then have a big thirst pickup at home for other trips and projects. It's all about the right tool for the right job I guess. I don't believe this is a "one size fits all" solution...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    WB CB w/Pole Mod
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL 0
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I keep meaning to add some drip lines but just keep forgetting to do it. I believe any water running down the suspension will be minimal and the majority will run and drip once it hits the aluminum bits that hold the spreader bars.
    I'd suggest adding the drip lines. I didn't have them initially, and after an all-night steady rain, the entire head end panel was completely soaked. Drip lines took care of it on the next outing and the hammock stayed completely dry.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbren View Post
    I'd suggest adding the drip lines. I didn't have them initially, and after an all-night steady rain, the entire head end panel was completely soaked. Drip lines took care of it on the next outing and the hammock stayed completely dry.
    My RR came with a little plastic bag that had drip lines in it.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle | UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Traverson View Post
    My RR came with a little plastic bag that had drip lines in it.
    That's what those were.. I had no idea what they were for, so I used them for draw strings on the stake and pole bags I made..

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast