Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Yep I got mine from thru-hiker. I bought 4 yards... 2 for UQ and will be using the other 2 for a TQ.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good looking quilt. I really like the color combination.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

If I may ask, what pattern did you use for the job? The quilt looks great, and from the pics, the translucent quality looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    If I may ask, what pattern did you use for the job? The quilt looks great, and from the pics, the translucent quality looks good.
    I didn't really use a pattern. This was my first attempt and I'm happy with it. Now I just need some cool weather.

I basically read a ton of threads and decided that I wanted a full length (head to toe) under quilt since I tend to get cold. I figured 72" x 55" inch length would do for me. What I ended up with (after the loft of the insulation) was about 70" x 53".... which is still fine.

It took me longer to measure and cut the fabric than it did to actually stitch it all together.

Here's an illustration of what I did (not my ideas here, just my version)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by scooterbrown View Post
    I didn't really use a pattern. This was my first attempt and I'm happy with it. Now I just need some cool weather.

I basically read a ton of threads and decided that I wanted a full length (head to toe) under quilt since I tend to get cold. I figured 72" x 55" inch length would do for me. What I ended up with (after the loft of the insulation) was about 70" x 53".... which is still fine.

It took me longer to measure and cut the fabric than it did to actually stitch it all together.

Here's an illustration of what I did (not my ideas here, just my version)...
    Thanks for such a quick and complete response, and I do hope you totally enjoy the fruit of your labor.

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    So one layer of climashield might get you 30 degree? I may go this route instead of insulex.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make sure the CS you use to get down to 30* is 5 -6 ounces per yard. I have taken my CS HL 6oz down to 29* with adequate clothing and top insulation.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie

UQ Project

Our troop put on a DIY UQ project as part of the (unofficial) hammock camping merit badge. I was able to get some real deals (some even donated materials) so we got the "lab fees" down to $25 per UQ. For Climashield 4.0 oz. Apex, 7/64" Amsteel whoopie slings with aluminum tubing toggles, tree straps and good quality materials I thought that was a great price.
    Last edited by mountain_man_mike; 02-28-2013 at 20:02.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Nice Mountain Man! I wouldn't mind a Climashield UQ for $25.

Thanks for the simple UQ idea scooter. This will be on my list of projects this coming fall.

Has anyone seen plans combining Climashield and Insutex in a UQ? I looked but cannot find anything. But if you ask my wife, I can never find anything so it probably exists. I am wondering how a a multi-layered insulated UQ would work. Do layers like the example below work well together?

Ripstop Nylon
    Climashield APEX2.5
    Insultex
    Climashield APEX2.5
    Insultex
    Ripstop Nylon

It would essentially be the same loft as the Climashield APEX5 but with two layers of Insultex. Would this have any significant increase in insulation compared to the simpler (and cheaper) single APEX5?

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterbrown View Post
    It was supposed to be brown, but with the fabric is translucent so it ended up being more of a golden color
    Very nice job. On the fabric color surprise, I just did that to myself. I thought the fabric as to be a brownish gold color. It was that color when it is all nicely folded. When I layed the nylon out after cutting it, the color was bright yellow. Wow, I am going to need sun glass when I go to bed. Clear silnylon, bright yellow overcover. I am not going to be doing any stealth camping with this set-up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast