DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

DWR on DIY UQ

I'm converting a down bag to an UQ. It seems that it might need a DWR on the outer shell. What works best?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Try this, haven't personally used it but I have used their other products...

http://nikwax.com/en-us/products/pro...=3&fabricid=-1
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If you don't want to have to wash your quilt, use this one. I use it on all my clothing, too.

http://nikwax.com/en-us/products/pro...-1&fabricid=-1
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    Thanks, guys.

I saw a thread on using a water repellent breathable fabric stem to stern. That would double as a wind breaker and add insulating vaue, right? I could stitch the modified bag right to it. But that negates the UQ's independent suspension so the question becomes how often one slides the UQ down to cool off.

When I first read "full length" UQ I thought it meant the full length of the hammock, which made sense to me. Then I saw it means only full body length. I was confused because it seemed that warm air would spill out the ends. This was confirmed by a Shug video in which he said his feet got cold. But in another video he was warm in a pea pod.

The UQ "protector" thread gave me the idea that a truly full length solution can be had. Even if I cannot afford more down to fill the voids at head and foot there are things that can be stuffed in there. I'd have to make up approx. 16" of a quickly dimenishing triangle at both ends.

What's the critique of my idea?

Mike

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    Well, I had planned to take my down parka in case it got really cold. But sleeping in it in a hammock is not like sleeping on a pad in the tent. The down would compress. So I am considering sacrificing it, too, along with my older Marmot, to the underquilt role. Together they would do what I envision: respective ends of the hammock could be strung through the foot of the bag and the hood of the parka to prevent warm air spilling out the ends. Their combined length is 114" of premium down insulation.

I suspect that shutting the door at the ends of the hammock is well worth the extra weight, which I had planned to carry anyway. My go-to Mountain Hardware bag will serve as the top quilt. If I truly sacrifice these items by cutting off arms, the hood on the bag, zippers, velcro tabs, cords, et al, then that will actually reduce the weight.

This will cost me nothing but some dutchware, which seems like excellent equipment to me.

The question arises what I will do for a parka during the day if it is that cold. Frankly, I never liked wearing that thing, even in Maine. It got too hot chopping wood, for instance. I always took it off anyway so will have to solve that problem as it occurs. I'm thinking wool (and alpaca for another thread). Many of these things are new to me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Thanks, guys.

I saw a thread on using a water repellent breathable fabric stem to stern. That would double as a wind breaker and add insulating vaue, right? I could stitch the modified bag right to it. But that negates the UQ's independent suspension so the question becomes how often one slides the UQ down to cool off.

When I first read "full length" UQ I thought it meant the full length of the hammock, which made sense to me. Then I saw it means only full body length. I was confused because it seemed that warm air would spill out the ends. This was confirmed by a Shug video in which he said his feet got cold. But in another video he was warm in a pea pod.

The UQ "protector" thread gave me the idea that a truly full length solution can be had. Even if I cannot afford more down to fill the voids at head and foot there are things that can be stuffed in there. I'd have to make up approx. 16" of a quickly dimenishing triangle at both ends.

What's the critique of my idea?

Mike
    I have only had cold feet a couple of times.....but I have used my winter Yeti 3/4 UQ and put my pad in the foot-box of my TQ...wore two pairs of loose socks (Possum Down against foot and thick wool ones over those)...added my down parka over the foot-end of my hammock and was toast footed all night below 0º.
    See it in this video......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    Thanks, Shug, I enjoy your videos!

My dad was an architect so I think in terms of defining and enclosing space. "Form follows function," was the mantra at my house growing up. So tell me, did you like the pea pod or 3/4 Yeti better?

Mike

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    As the dual problem of cold and lack of funds develops in my thinking possible solutions present themselves after a good night's sleep. I've washed the bag and parka and laid them out in the spare room, contemplating a pair of scissors and a sewing project for Mrs. Ivy.

But I've thought better of the scissors for now. Instead, the idea for a flexible cool-to-freezing system has emerged, using several inderpendent parts that can be deployed as needed:

1. Rig the LL Bean 2nds down parka as a 3/4 length UQ, using Shug's suggestion of the sit pad under my feet. I could even make channels by sewing the arms to the body. The detachable hood would be used in 3 below.

2. Rig the Marmot for use as a "full length" UQ.

3. Together, overlapping at the kidneys, with zippers and velcro tabs intact, hang them truly full length of the hammock for an effective pea pod. This would require openings in the hood and foot for the ends of the hammock to pass through on its way to the suspension but the pea pod concept shuts the front and back doors to keep the warmth inside the heated space.

4. When funds are available add an UQ protector made of M50. I like red. ;-)

5. When funds are available make a wind sock. A wool/acrylic blend in black at $5 a yard might work.

Of course, I'd have my other down bag as an OQ in any event.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    Well, live and learn, right?

I discovered that the parka will work best as a parka!! The down baffles are through-sewn with an outer shell.

However, the spare bag is long enough for a full length underquilt and, having mocked it up on the actual hammock over the weekend, will be more than sufficient: Mrs. Ivy doesn't sew any more but Mrs. Payne will sew channels for the shock cord and modify the foot so that it will slip over the hammock end and shut the back door, while the parka stowed topside will close the front.

Mike

• + New Posts