WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Warbonnet Question from a Newbie

I am getting ready to purchase my first hammock! I would like to get one that is lighter weight if possible because I plan to use it pretty often for short backpacking trips. (I am trying to go lightweight on all my gear if possible.) I have decided on the Blackbird DL but I don't know which fabric I should get.

I am currently 5'10" and 268 lbs BUT I have been working to lose weight and I hope/plan to be down to 230-240 by this May when I do a multi-day hike along the AT.

SO do I:

A. Save the ounces long term since I am using it backpacking and get the 1.1 DL, sacrificing SOME comfort now knowing it will probably feel better once I lose some weight?

B. Go ahead and get the 1.7 DL for comfort (with my weight range) and take the 7 ounce penalty (even though I may wish I could have saved the weight later)?

I am itching to pull the trigger soon so I would love any feedback to make this IMPORTANT decision!! Thanks!

P.S. - Below is what he says on his site but I was wanting to know from experienced users as well. (Yes, I know everyone's comfort level is a little different but would appreciate the thoughts.):

225-250 LBS:
    Double 1.1, double 1.7 blackbirds and Double layer RidgeRunner. Choose double 1.1 Blackbird if looking to go lightweight. In this weight range the double 1.7 Blackbird will provide you slightly more support, choose double 1.7 Blackbird for maximum comfort and double 1.1 Blackbird if you're weight conscious at all. Double layer RidgeRunner is also appropriate.

250-275 LBS:
    Double 1.1, double 1.7 Blackbirds You can certainly still go double 1.1 if you're looking to cut packweight, but in this weight range the double 1.7 Blackbird starts to be noticeably flatter and more supportive. Double 1.1 is recommended for those looking to go lightweight, double 1.7 recommended for those looking for maximum comfort. Double layer RidgeRunner is only rated to 250 LBS.

Images
    So what is the difference, about 6 or 7 oz? I would try to find out which one is most likely to be most comfortable at my most likely body weight, or even the low end of likely weight, and I'd go by that before getting too concerned about ~ 6 oz. Or like I ask myself sometimes: could I just loose 1 pound body weight, and then I could go with the heavier hammock and still be 1/2 lb ahead! Sadly, the answer is more likely I will just gain 1 more lb rather than loose it!

Hammock
    WBBB & HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    SF, HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3,EERevX20
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie Sling
    At risk of sounding glib, I'd take the hammock that fits your current weight range (1.7 DL), then if you reach your desired weight and don't want the extra 7 oz, either lose another half a pound, cut 7 oz elsewhere, or celebrate by buying the 1.1, and resell the 1.7.

As an experienced cyclist, I used to really be conscious of purchasing lightweight gear, so as to have less to truck up hills, etc. I eventually became much less gear-weight conscious, and much more body-weight and conditioning conscious. (Also much cheaper and healthier to lose the body weight and have more comfortable gear.) ex:I went with a steel frame bike over aluminum -heavier, but much more comfortable with less vibration. I rode more often and longer, and more than made up for the extra weight in personal body weight loss.

Gear weight is generally over-rated in my experience, unless you are talking extreme weight or distance. I often pack my heavier gear for short trips, because I like the gear and the extra workout/training.

By the way, check out video: Forks Over Knives on Netflix. A life changer. Really.

Good luck.
    J3

"No Matter where you go, there you are." -B. Banzai
    -Crede quod habes et habes-

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm 270lbs and I use a SL 1.7. For your projected weight I think a DL 1.1 would be comfortable for you.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    JumpinJackJim:

You are exactly right! 7 ounces seems silly to fuss about when I have a lot of body weight I could lose. I used to be really in shape and did a lot of endurance events but a couple injuries and a very stressful job caused me to pile it on over time. I am minus the stressful job now and looking to get back in shape - thus the backpacking idea (something both me and my 10-yr-old love and will enjoy together).

So I know it is only 7 ounces but my dilemma is that I am trying to go as lightweight as possible (thinking longterm) so I was wondering if there is really a noticeable difference between the two from 230-270 lbs.

If so, I will do just as you said and stick with the 1.7 DL. I want to be comfortable for sure! But If most people that have used both think it is negligible then I would like to go with the lighter version since I plan to be at a lower weight the more I use the WBBB.

I have a great tent and could stick with it if I were just going to car camp but the hammock is something to get me out on the trail a good bit more and actually enjoy getting in shape, giving me a few goals in the process (like the AT hike).

So anyone else out there have experience with both? Thanks in advance!!

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I have a DL blackbird and DL blackbird XLC. I went DL for flexibility of pad or under quilt use. That amount of weight difference is not a concern from my use perspective. Best of luck.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I agree with mumbles. Dl1.7 will always be comfortable regardless of weight. I think camp comfort outweighs hiking comfort.Besides if you havent noticed our packweights are still lighter than a tent packweight even with some of the heavier more durable types of camping hammocks available. Get the 1.7dl and sleep in sweet comfort my friend.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'm just recently a hammock convert, but even when using a tent previously I've always adhered to the fact that nothing is better for the body and mind after a long day's hike then a good night's sleep.

My philosophy has always been to seek out the lightest gear that provides me the greatest comfort. By definition, this will rule out most ultra-light gear, but going UL is a philosophy of its own and often sacrifices many things, comfort being only one. Even then, successful UL hikers usually get their weight down over time, by consistently readjusting their weight levels through experience.

I would suggest that you don't look too much towards what you think you may want or need in the future, but purchase what's best for you now. You'll wind up enjoying yourself more and gain the experience you'll need to make those weight adjustments later.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Buy the hammock that you need now and start enjoying it.

When you loose the weight go for the lighter version.

David

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Great thoughts.

Thanks everyone.

• + New Posts