Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2 hour documentary about a hammock camper alone in the wild for 3 months.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There was a thread about that a year or so again. Thanks for posting it again though as I'm sure others will want to see it and I am reminded to watch it again too.

I loved the psychological issues he had to go through. Crazy!

Fronkey

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    +1 on the psychological issues ,the mood swings were crazy. Given everyone is different i'm sure pretty much anyone would go through some sort of psychological issues with no human contact for that long. I even started feeling bad for eating pizza while watching lol.

I bookmarked it for later viewing...thanks
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    Interesting. I'll watch it on the TV a bit later.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    hm this should be pretty cool and interesting thanks for the share

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I remember that show. Wasn't it on Nat Geo? Wish he would have found a stable food source.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    eno dblnest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/usmss
    Suspension
    tree staps/whoopie
    i would love to see a gear list, but google couldn't find any

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tattoo View Post
    +1 on the psychological issues ,the mood swings were crazy. Given everyone is different i'm sure pretty much anyone would go through some sort of psychological issues with no human contact for that long. I even started feeling bad for eating pizza while watching lol.
    I think he was probably an extrovert which is the problem.

I'm a serious introvert and really dislike people. Dislike isn't the word I guess. I dislike humanity, people are awesome I guess.

If I go without people for a long period of time I'm fine. The only side effect is that I become shy and my people skills fade so getting back into so society is a bit weird.

OF course I've NEVER done anything like this guy. I always had SOME sort of human interaction. Even if it was just 1-2 people.

Images

WOW! Is it just me?

Okay, first of all, I think this is definitely something I would like to do. I know I probably will never have the opportunity to do so, wife, kids, job, obligations, obligations, obligations....once you are on the hamster wheel there is very little chance of getting off.
    I think Ed's biggest problem was he just was not well prepared. He went in with one plan and not really any back up plan. He believed that all he had to do was find the salmon run and he would be okay. He kept referring to the "big lake" having a larger river running out of it, every shot I saw the river running into the lake? I have several friends that have canoed the boundary waters and other Canadian lakes, they ALL say how easy it is to catch fish. They eat so many fish they get tired of them. His A plan did not work out and he shut down. In this sort of scenario, it is survival, you have to set your goals or successes up each day and celebrate the accomplishment. It seemed more like he was a squatter going thru rations, counting the days till the end. For me, it would have to be that every day was about food, you wake up and start scouting and eating everything wild, berries, greens, SHOOT THE FREAKIN SQUIRRELS you hear in the background of most of those crying fits he was having.

All the crying was too much for me and it almost seemed to be for the camera. I completely understand the fear of bears, but he saw one bear (and did not even manage to get that one on camera) in 50 days!

His shelters, WTF, it was not even a lean to, more of a 10' wall? I'm no survivor man or grylls, but WTF? He did not appear to be prepared to build a real shelter or have back up plans for food other than salmon or the 2 porcupines he stumbled across. This was a made up situation where he had to abide by the hunting regulations, in a real "live off the land situation" he would have eaten an eagle, a caribou, 2 moose and probably that swan he filmed flying over the lake.

I don't know, he seemed way too emotional and not set up for the situation, he has climbed Everest twice? and various other expeditions?

His shelters? Really? So. Ugh, so much for anything close to LNT, the size of the trees he cut down? I thought he was going to build a log cabin.

His therapist is probably making a fortune off him now. Did it say he had Queen songs on a loop in his brain? WTF? Really? He probably cries while taking long walks in the rain....

Just my two cents.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast