Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Permethrin spray

I used the Sawyers (24oz bottle) spray to treat my hammock and bug net. I keep reading about folks that say permethrin creates a "no-fly zone" for skeeters. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't use enough because they don't seem to mind too much. If the zipper is open they'll come on in. I know I've read posts about folks that use permethrin and no bug net, so what am I missing here?

I will say that I had a dead spider on the outside of the netting, so apparently it's doing something

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Permethrin isn't perfect. It's good...really good...but not perfect at keeping skeeters away.

Picaridin or DEET applied to your skin (I prefer the former; it works better on ticks and won't melt your hammock the way that the higher concentrations of DEET can) combined with Permethrin is probably about 98% effective against mosquitoes for the first two or three hours after application.

Which works for me; the mosquitoes are worst right around sundown around here. So, once the effectiveness has worn off some, the mosquitoes have mostly gone to bed anyway. Which means that the netting and layer of nylon around you should suffice with the Permethrin to keep you essentially bug-free.

I occasionally have a mosquito wander into my hammock. Usually, they're dead by morning. Camping Darwinism at work? I dunno...either way, I find that Permethrin enhances my outdoor experience by making it more comfortable.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Thanks FLRider!!!! What picaridin product do you recommend? I see REI has a few options.

Hammock
    eno dblnest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/usmss
    Suspension
    tree staps/whoopie
    i sprayed just my bugnet a few days ago, i have to say for me it works very nicely. my backyard is so bad with skiters that you can't go out there without losing a pint of blood (ok maybe not a pint but you get the drift). i find that since spraying it i can even stand outside of the bugnet but next to it and have yet to be biten near it. i used about 6oz spraying the net. instuctions said 6oz is enough for one set of clothes. mine isn't sawyers brand mine is 3m ultrathon, but the guy at rei said that it works just as well but was cheaper. it has the same amount of permethrin as the sawyers (i checked).
    i would reccomend to try spraying more on the bugnet.

Hammock
    eno dblnest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/usmss
    Suspension
    tree staps/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Picaridin or DEET applied to your skin
    the 3m brand says do not allow to contact skin till dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Omgak View Post
    i would reccomend to try spraying more on the bugnet.

Around here (NC) they hang out in the garage waiting for me to open the door. I'll be applying more spray this weekend.

Hammock
    eno dblnest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/usmss
    Suspension
    tree staps/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterbrown View Post
    Around here (NC) they hang out in the garage waiting for me to open the door. I'll be applying more spray this weekend.
    i know the feeling here you can practicly see them drooling

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Well, it is a repellant. They have to be within an inch or so of it. So leaving your bugnet open, is just inviting them in. They sense YOU. So if you want to leave the net open, then treat you also.
    Recomend to treat yourself! Here in the Dallas area, we have a widespread outbreak of West Nile. My wife got it, probably from going out at sunrise without long sleeves and no DEET on. We walk everynight, but apply DEET and don't get bit. I apply DEET to exposed skin. One night after a rain, our walk (this is on concrete pathways around the neighborhood) took us over a bridge. Our backs were COVERED with nats! They just lighted on our shirts. They didn't light on the exposed skin. So repellants keep them of the surface it was applied to. It isn't a force-field bubble surrounding us (or you in you hammock).
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    +1 on what rhjanes says: Permethrin isn't really a repellant in the usual sense--it's a contact insecticide. If the mosquito doesn't land on the fabric, it's gonna be okay. Use permethrin more for creepy crawlies like ticks.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterbrown View Post
    Thanks FLRider!!!! What picaridin product do you recommend? I see REI has a few options.
    I believe it repackaged from the license-holding maker. You want the 20%, which I hae seen several ways, including a tampon-size spray bottle from Sawyer. On that, though, read the small print if you also buy, in easily confused package, the 100 Deet.
    I also have a pump-spray bottle of picaridin with the Repel brand name.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast