Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    winter lynx

Is a clark any different than gathered end hammocks

Do you sleep on the diagonal in a clark? Is there pressure on the calves from ridges?
    Is there a foot box? These are problems that make me use a bridge hammock.

Is a clark cut any different then any other gathered end hammock?

I am 6' 4" and full time side sleeper and cant find comfort except in a bridge

I like the look of the Clarks but have not had the chance to try one.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by senecio-joe View Post
    Do you sleep on the diagonal in a clark? Is there pressure on the calves from ridges?

In order...
    I don't get pressure from ridges on calves, but I don't have that problem with any hammock I've tried yet so it may be me.
    There isn't a foot box as such, though with the NX 200 I have there's enough bed width to get there for me functionally. I sleep better in my Clark then I do in my HH which is an asym.
    I'd have to defer to others on cut differently, I don't have enough experience to say I feel comfortable.
    I'm a quasi side sleeper in a hammock. In bed full time side sleeper, in a hammock I'm at like a 45 angle. Benefit of the Clark with mosquito proof bed is not worrying about face bites, and not having to resort to chemicals to get there.

Son is 6'4", his issues are knees with hammocks. Will have to get him to try the Clark to see if it works for him.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images

clark

I have a Clark Tropical 2 (the old, shorter version) and feel it's the most comfortable hammock I've used. This includes Hennessy (my first), Mosquito Hammock, War Bonnet Traveler, WBBB and now the Clark. I'm 5' 6" and weigh about 190 lbs (yes, I know, got to lose some weight).

1st question: I don't typically sleep diagonally, but can, but being it's narrower than other hammocks, not as much.

2nd question: no foot box, but don't seem to need it as much.

3rd question: It must be cut a little differently, but can't tell you how. I can't really explain why the Clark is so much more comfortable than all the other hammocks I've used, including the WBBB.

4th & last question: If you get a Clark, get one of the larger ones, I'd recommend the NX-200. I sleep on my side all the time without discomfort.

One last recommendation - don't get the ones with the sectioned poles at each end. I broke two of them on a four day trip and gave up on the NX-150 and replaced it with my present Tropical 2. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Clark NX270 NX250, 2- Flex 180's
    Tarp
    Underground WD
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 10 &20
    Suspension
    straps/cinch buckl
    I bought the Clark Flex 180 its the flattest hammock they have per Clark.
    I will be in it for a week at the end of the month and will post a review but from the ones that I looked at this was a flat lyer one that I wanted to try
    Bill

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    I had the nx 150 it gave the worst caf presure i have eved had .bear bag hanger if you dont mind how did you break poles?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Calf pressure is subjective

Ridges and furrows are not.
    You can find many instances, usually on the subject of leaks of UQs, of photos in which the presenter shows his / her setup declaring it to be well sealed and leak free. I see deep ridges and furrows and cannot see that there are not air leaks.

Same applies to calf pressure. There will be ridges and furrows, unless there has been tailoring and maybe a rigid (curved?) arc flattening the fabric coming off the gathered end and flattening extra fabric, the same way your back and shoulders flattens the hammock bottom at the head end. Leave it to an engineer to say whether the ridges will be easier to flatten if the stretchiness of the fabric differs in warp and weft directions.

Further, the appearance of a particularly prominent central ridge, not unlike the "tunnel" running front firewall to trunk in most cars, will be more or less, according to the tightness of the hammock, the weight of the occupant, and the way the occupant positions herself. There can be quite a hump that doesn't bother the occupant lying straight with one calf in each of the deep furrows on either side.

So, it is all dynamic and also subjective. And I will opine that the further away the gathered end is from the calves, the fewer the ridges and furrows. When a European maker substitutes cords for fabric at the end of one its camping hamocks, it is undoubtedly to interrupt and minimize the formation of furrows and ridges before they reach the occupant.

I doubt the Clark has fewer or more furrows and ridges than another gathered end hammock.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Leave it to an engineer to say whether the ridges will be easier to flatten if the stretchiness of the fabric differs in warp and weft directions.
    And the engineer would tell you that there are too many variables and just design a safety factor into it

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Further, the appearance of a particularly prominent central ridge, not unlike the "tunnel" running front firewall to trunk in most cars, will be more or less, according to the tightness of the hammock, the weight of the occupant, and the way the occupant positions herself. There can be quite a hump that doesn't bother the occupant lying straight with one calf in each of the deep furrows on either side.
    I sleep typically with my legs crossed at the ankles, occasionally in the Ian Anderson pose. I do put my feet to one side or the other, but not enough to be "diagonal" in my book. Difference between the NX200 and NX250 is the hoops. If you're someone who gets excited about those kind of things they will excite you, I'm not particularly but I don't have anything against them either just view them as one more potential failure point with no real appreciable benefit to me personally, but regardless I don't think there's any difference in the actual lay of the bed of the hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'm not claiming the hoops change anything much but the visuals. They don't generate enough tension. For that, you'd need a bridge. The point swallowed in my verbiage is that your torso flattens out the very same ridges at the head end that bother people at the foot end where there is not a broad, heavy press to spread and squash them. I can't recall that anyone complains of "neck pressure."

Which takes you to the mini-spreader bar. Or even one that is as wide as found on bridge hammocks. Not for flatness, but to wipe out the ridges and resultant calf pressure.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images

X-150 pole breakage

Quote Originally Posted by rngn View Post
    I had the nx 150 it gave the worst caf presure i have eved had .bear bag hanger if you dont mind how did you break poles?
    They don't have anyway to keep the poles together, they are just supposed to stay attached to each other. They come loose when you get in and out (I have to pee several times a night) and they break right at the ends, maybe about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the end will break. The first time, you can sometimes get away with jamming it back in, but by the second break, it's too short to fit anymore.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Not my experience. I wonder if you were not always set up too tight.

I'm enjoying the NX-150 I bought from you, without complaint, thank you, and glad to have it for a companion, lending out the best bed at the camp site.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast