WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner

Hennessey whoopie conversion issue

I just converted this morning over to whoopie slings and I am running into some issues with how Hennessey sets their hammocks up.

First, my setup for the conversion is a 12 inch "dog bone" of amsteel to secure the end of the hammock, to a Dutch biner, then to a 6 foot whoopie sling. The issue I'm having is in the prussik knots that secure the tarp to the suspension. One, they fall on the constrictor part of the hammock making adjustments a pain. Two, the prussik no longer bites into the slick Amsteel like it did on the previous line. Now it just slides easily back and forth on the sling without holding tension on the tarp.

Do you have to use a different type of cordage for your prussiks when using Amsteel?

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe & WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 0° Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies or ropes
    Are you using the stock hennessy prussiks? I might be wrong, but I think the whole concept of prussik knots & co works only with a rope significantly smaller that the one it is wrapped around.

That being said, I really don't know if you can use prussiks with something as slippery as amsteel. Curious to have more experienced opinions too.

Seems to me that almost all the whoopies users might have a separate rigdeline for their tarp.

IIRC, Amsteel is too slick for a traditional prussik, I think some people have found an alternative, myself, I ran a pair of guylines with Figure-9s on them, and I run my tarp on it's own suspension to my 'biners at my tree-straps. You can still get it nice and close like the stock set-up, plus since your tarp is no longer attached to your hammock set up, you can set it up first if it's raining.

HYOH, but that seems to be my most elegant solution, other than running a seperate ridgeline for my tarp. To me, this is simpler.

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    If prussiks don't work on amsteel, I think the solution of a line running to the carabiner would be a decent compromise. I could still contain everything in the snakeskin, and retain the quick setup that is a huge pro of owning a hennessey, just with a slight mod to the original setup.

Anyone have experience using a prussik with amsteel in the tradition hennessey method?

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    Anyone have any luck with a Klemheist knot on Amsteel?

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
    If prussiks don't work on amsteel, I think the solution of a line running to the carabiner would be a decent compromise. I could still contain everything in the snakeskin, and retain the quick setup that is a huge pro of owning a hennessey, just with a slight mod to the original setup.
    One problem with keeping the tarp in the snake skins along with the hammock comes when hiking in several days of rainy weather. Packing the hammock inside the wet tarp day after day can lead to a damp and smelly nest. I stopped packing this way just for that reason.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    I just ordered a whole new setup for my tarp.

I went with a separate ridgeline and bishop bag as suggested. Be ready for about $60 to accomplish this is a professional easy to use manner. I spent a while researching my setup and hope it was worth it. To change to Whoopies and update the tarp setup cost me $100 bucks. Ahhh the price of lightweight adjustability!

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    depends
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I purchased a hammock that already had the conversion. I am not sure it is done right. Can someone who has seen one done properly take a look at these pics and tell me if it looks right. Also, I have never used whoopie slings before, but mine look a little frayed. Is it okay for them to look like this? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by froggfeathers; 05-20-2012 at 22:55.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The prevailing approach for tarps is to tie off directly to the trees...Easy , fast, taut and does not sag upon entry into the hammock.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    MazGear
    Tarp
    MazGear/SuperFly
    Insulation
    MazGear/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by froggfeathers View Post
    I purchased a hammock that already had the conversion. I am not sure it is done right. Can someone who has seen one done properly take a look at these pics and tell me if it looks right. Also, I have never used whoopie slings before, but mine look a little frayed. Is it okay for them to look like this? Thanks in advance!
    In my opinion it looks to me that your whoopie to the hammock needs a couple more wraps ....here is a link to one of the ways its done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CorthADuXs......I have done this conversion and have had no problems.....also they do look a little worn and frayed.....so you may need to replace sometime soon....hope my two cents help!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast