Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    I like the design. But....I have been on quite a few backpacking trips where it started to pour down on me and I needed to get my shelter setup. Just thinking to myself of how bad it would have sucked if I had to set up my hammock first in those heavy downpours, just to get my tarp up. That is why I removed the Rain-Fly from my HH and gave it, it's own suspension.

Sometimes I may not want to set up my hammock, but just the tarp instead, so I can wait out the heavy part of the rain, then move along the trail again.

I would bring a fall back plan just in-case. Of course, that will add the weight back on that you saved in attaching the tarp to the hammock in the first place.

I guess just keep a sharp eye out on the weather.
    With the biner (or soft shackle) attachment of the tarp, I could see carrying a couple of 12' long pieces of Zing-it and Dutch hooks to use for a "tarp only" pitch. That would weigh about 1/2 ounce extra.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    With the biner (or soft shackle) attachment of the tarp, I could see carrying a couple of 12' long pieces of Zing-it and Dutch hooks to use for a "tarp only" pitch. That would weigh about 1/2 ounce extra.
    Yes, I carry those anyway. Thanks
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I put four more photos on the opening post to show the 19 nto 28 inch whoopies and the soft shackles. The soft shackles should be 1 to 2 inches longer because they take the place of the loop and prussic that used to be attached to the end of the BB and the cinch buckles. Added Sketchup drawing here and on initial post. Click on link below to see Sketchup drawing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mule; 09-02-2012 at 10:47. Reason: add photo

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm impressed... a two-way whoopie! That makes you the coolest dude on the block
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'm impressed... a two-way whoopie! That makes you the coolest dude on the block
    Thanks, yes it has twice the range in length adjustment.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I think FLRider's snakeskin suggestion is a good solution to the "hanging in a storm" scenario. As long as they are waterproof, the hammock stays dry until the tarp is deployed.

Of course it adds a bit of weight but oh well.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Two questions come to mind:

One: I like the idea, my biggest problem is it appears to take away the choice of how high to hang the tarp? If weather is good, I hang my tarp high so I can stand up underneath it, if it looks stormy, I'll hang it close to the hammock. I always try to hang my hammock the same height so I can comfortably sit with my feet on the ground. Am I wrong about this?

Two: Also, from the pictures, it appears you have two structured ridge lines, one on the hammock itself and one up near the tarp. Couldn't you get rid of the one on the hammock and have the same lay and thereby save a little bit of weight?

Thanks,

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Looks great, Mule. So, you don't have any trouble with the tarp ridge line going slack when you get in the hammock? How do you manage that? I'm very tempted by this system but worry about that. Thanks for the info and pics!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    Two questions come to mind:

One: I like the idea, my biggest problem is it appears to take away the choice of how high to hang the tarp? If weather is good, I hang my tarp high so I can stand up underneath it, if it looks stormy, I'll hang it close to the hammock. I always try to hang my hammock the same height so I can comfortably sit with my feet on the ground. Am I wrong about this?

Two: Also, from the pictures, it appears you have two structured ridge lines, one on the hammock itself and one up near the tarp. Couldn't you get rid of the one on the hammock and have the same lay and thereby save a little bit of weight?

Thanks,
    Bear Bag Hanger,
    Hey! You are probably right on possibly getting rid of one ridge line. Also, the height of the tarp I think is a good compromise for me. Since the cinch buckles are higher by quite a bit, the tarp is certainly high enough for setting in the hammock, though I do sometimes pitch it higher yet. I will put some thought into getting rid of the hammock ridge line. One thing to think about is that the hammock ridge line stays 100 inches no matter how tight you pitch the hammock, and the tarp ridge line keeps the length of the space between the tarp attachment points the same so as not to put too much stress on the tarp itself. If I got rid of the hammock RL, then it would hang a little differently. I am thinking if I got rid of it and wanted to maintain the exact same lay, I would have to lengthen or shorten the tarp RL to get that, but you have a good idea. I may not need the hammock RL.
    After taking a look at the sketches again, I think the tarp RL would actually get shorter to maintain the same lay, so, consequently, the angle from hammock to tree would get steeper, the attatchment point on the tree would go higher, the length of the hammock to cinch buckle would get longer and the tarp would get pitched higher.
    With both RLs left on it for awhile we could tweak those three variables to our liking.
    Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Mule; 09-03-2012 at 08:19.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Looks great, Mule. So, you don't have any trouble with the tarp ridge line going slack when you get in the hammock? How do you manage that? I'm very tempted by this system but worry about that. Thanks for the info and pics!
    Hey Pips, if I read it correctly, he has shock cord/bungee at the ends of his tarp. When you get in and would have the slack, the shock cord would still pull it tight.

I had a DIY stand, and until I changed the design, the tarp ridge would go slack when I got in, (the uprights would flex, just enough). I added shock cord to the tarp ridge line to take care of the problem......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast