Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
Big tarp, block the wind.
Hot water bottle, it warms the hammock and quilts. Wrap the bottle in an old sock to retain the heat longer.
Wool or fleece, avoid cotton anything.
Layers.
A ground mat along with a good size groundcloth. A simple ccf pad on the ground will keep your feet warm and dry during change of clothes. Clear any snow from the area, the pad can become a sled.

Location. Pick a spot out of the wind if possible. Use any trees or terrain to your advantage.
Stay dry. Condensation and sweat will be an issue. Plan a way to dry out your gear and clothing. After a few days your quilts will absorb any moisture and freeze, so keep the trips short or have a way of drying things.

Frozen ground can be problematic for staking. Have good stakes.

Test hang at home in your gear. Floppy gloves and mittens will be a "learning experience" when dealing with lines. Plan on extra time.
Extra Fuel. It will take more fuel to warm your food. And you'll probably drink more warm liquids.
Extra batteries. Light fades fast in winter. You'll be using your lights much more.

Big Fire!!
Perusing through old topics I started and since my first winter hang is a few weeks away, I'd figure it would be cool to check this particular thread out. Man, you got it covered! I think I might have to try ALL of those

Thanks to everyone, I feel ready to hit the woods for a colder experience... Just hoping that it actually SNOWS in late December and NOT rain