'Tenting' an ENO double

So, Im a newbie to hammocking and have been recently setting up a hammocking rig. So far, so good. ENO Double with whoopies, structural ridgeline and a DIY PLUQ that I sewed to accomodate a windshield reflector. I have been tweaking the whole system in my yard. While hanging in it tonight, it occurred to me that the ENO DN has so much extra fabric that you can pull it around you and kind of 'tent it' up to the ridgeline. I did this with some binder clips, and really noticed alot of heat retention. It also occurred to me that by doing this you might be able to skip the bug net and save weight. I figured that someone here has already thought of this, and maybe has developed a slick way of doing this without cheezy binderclips. If a thread already exists for this, Id appreciate if someone might redirect me.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I would get a real bugnet to use with the hammock. It would allow you to see out and allow for fresh air. Plas those bugs will figure out a way to get thru the gaps in the hammock
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've read some people use the excess fabric to wrap themselves for a bit more warmth but if you lay on a diagonal, I don't know if you can get enough fabric tented to totally enclose you. If you lay in line with the hammock maybe but thats typically not a comfortable position for sleeping the whole night. Can't say I've seen anyone do this but I could be wrong. I actaully cut off the excess fabric because it was floppy and annoying when laying in the hammock. My DN with the sides cut off is still wider than a SN and it is just the right width for me.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    [QUOTE=Bubba;811607]I've read some people use the excess fabric to wrap themselves for a bit more warmth but if you lay on a diagonal, I don't know if you can get enough fabric tented to totally enclose you.

When we went to look at hammocks the guy in the Sporting Goods Store, told us to wrap the hammock sides around us. Kind of funny I thought.

If I want to on a lazy summer afternoon, I can wrap the hammock around me, to get a tiny bit of warmth. I am not a little person and there is lots of material for wrapping. Under is what gets cold, anytime you are sleeping or sitting around you want your side that is toward the ground to stay warm. You can pile on tons of top blankets, bags or clothing, that just does not matter as much as having the underside warm and blocked from drafts. Keep experimenting, there is still a lot to learn.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I'd still get a bug net. Mosquitoes can bite through the material of a ENO.

• + New Posts