1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Local thread sources

I am all set to start my DIY UQ this Friday and just realized I do not have thread.
    Its too late to order from a HF vendor. We have Hancock and Walmart etc.
    Hancock does not carry Gutterman's. I think they have Clarks and Coats.

What am I looking for?
    Polyester? Uphostery thread? Diameter?
    Thanks

Hammock
    assorted Hennesy Hammocks
    If you want guttermman I would call some of the local quilt shops. It looks like your area has a few to choose from.

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Hancock near me carries mettler metrosene plus which honestly has higher ratings than gutterman.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    If you end up at Wal-Mart (like I did), most of theirs will be Coats & Clark. I've been using what they call "carpet thread." It's 100% polyester, very robust and strong, and easy to work with. I figure it should take exposure to weather pretty well, being poly.

On a strange sidenote: It may be something to include in your pack because it works really well for stitching up bad cuts or gashes (yes, in skin) ----- yaaaah, fer-izzle! A nurse friend trying to console my wife (who nearly fainted while winging-out over me sewing my own finger back together) said that the poly thread should be fine, and will come out easily when its time to remove the stitches. She was right, and you'd be hard -pressed to tell which finger I doctored if I showed you my hands. Hey, we're all about multipurposing our gear and tools, right?!?

-Klauss

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    There is nothing special about Gutterman. It is one thread company among many and certainly several large ones. To specify a company and not the thread, of which companies make dozens or hundreds, is to potentially waste time and money. American and Efird is a company which doesn't get mentioned here as often as it should.

Patronize your DIY shop, but ask them for details on what they are selling you. Nothing wrong, to get optimal performance, with using a different thread for a tarp and then for a hammock and then for quilts, and then for straps. It won't be the same Gutterman thread for all of those.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the replies.
    I didnt mean to imply I was brand loyal to Guttermans.
    I know it is often recommend here and I have used it before.
    In the past I ordered from vendors here and knew they would send what I need.

This time I will probably have to describe to the sales clerk what I need.
    After all, its a quilt shop not a do it yourself under quilt shop.

I am using 1.1 for the UQ and probably tulle or organza for my baffles.
    I think I need 100% polyester.
    Is there any other quailty I need?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    All you need is a high quality 100% polyester thread of normal weight and strength. The Coats and Clark sold in Wal Mart may be an inferior thread to the stuff sold in sewing and quilt shops. I've had good result with C&C but I do like a higher quality brand for high quality projects. Generally speaking shops which cater to the hobbyist and advanced stitchers are very particular about the merchandise they stock and the quality they maintain. After all, their clientele know quality and expect it.

+you can get as involved in the explanation as you want, but a quilt is a quilt is a quilt. A good shop should understand the difference between a sewn through quilt and a baffled quilt. We don't do anything really so different except maybe in the manner of decorative quilting stitches. Those are usually reserved for synthetic fill anyway.

Good luck and have a good time.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    One thing to look out for...........my wife picked me up some cheap polyester thread they had on sale at walmart the other day. The thread was fine, and the price was right, but much to my surprise, the thread spools look like a normal spool, but are a bigger diameter on the inside, so there is only about a 1/8th of an inch thickness of wound thread on them! They didnt lie about how many yards of thread were on the spool (its in the fine print) but its kind of deceptive, and looks like something its not. (I've run into the same thing with motor oil---some companys 4 quart jug looks exactly like a 5 qt jug from the front, just a little thinner- (and usually the same price) you have to really pay attention, other wise you will get home and be a quart short ) When all is said and done, the 6 doller economy spool of gutterman thread I bought at Joanns fabrics a few months back, was a much better deal than the 1 doller spool at walmart!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts