Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle

Quest for developing the ultimate, multipurpose camping quilt.

It's very unlikely that I'm the first to think of this but I can't seem to find anyone else having done this before. Have given up on wading through all the top and under quilt projects on here...Anyway, this is the idea:

I want to make a multi-purpose down quilt. I'm thinking 60"x70" to provide a size that I can use as for camping with my better half (she doesn't camp in cold weather so this would be enough warmth. The quilt would have two footboxes.

I would then like to re-purpose this as a sleeping bag by attaching the sides (likely with a zipper) and the bottom with shock cord. When you get into the bag, I would then just need to put my feet in one foot box, and then the other to close off the bottom. I'm thinking that if this doesn't stay put well over the night then I can look into velcro or magnet solutions to help secure the foot boxes together.

Finally, it would serve as a "complete quilt" for hammock camping with the shock-corded bottom and having half of the head edge with shock cord. To pull the edge up to the hammock there would be a cordlock at the edge and the shock cord could be secured, inside the sleeve, at the middle of the head edge. (probably just do both sides)

I don't really foresee any problems with the quilt and sleeping bag but I can imagine there is going to be some difficulty getting the "sock quilt" idea to work. Either it makes a closed off tube and accumulates lots of condensation or there is a big hole near the head.

How I'm thinking I could solve this problem is to have the side edge attach to the hammock, curl underneath and then attach again to the other side (providing an under quilt with lots of extra quilt hanging free. The leftover quilt bit can be tucked and placed as needed around me. Essentially, have an under quilt that is twice as wide as needed and the extra width becomes the top quilt.

I know it's a bit of a read so I'm not expecting to get a lot of feedback and I very much appreciate what I do get.

Images
    Jacks R Better has what your talking about. Z-packs just came out with 2-person quilts.
    Jrb ships stock next day, zpacks are custom made to order. Also, other quilts makers such as Underground Quilts that are custom made to order will make you whatever you want.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/quilts/
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/product-...t-accessories/
    http://zpacks.com/quilts.shtml
    http://undergroundquilts.com/
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...0&postcount=54

Hammock
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle

Alternate title: "Hammock sleep system that can work for ground very well."

I realize now that I never really specified the part of my idea that I felt is unique and I needed feedback on....That would be the hammock side of it. I don't own a hammock sleep system yet so I'm curious if an under/top quilt setup is necessary or if a modified double quilt can be wrapped around.

While I saw some impressive gear via the links above, I didn't find anything that would accomplish what I'm trying to do...I'm sure I could custom order it, but I like to work with my hands and enjoy this kind of thing anyway.

...I'm thinking that if I'm going to make a sleep system I might as well try and make one that I can use for all my camping -- double quilt that turns into a single bag or a combination under/top quilt for hammock.
    I'm curious if someone who has more experience with hammock sleep systems sees any problems with this so that I can try to avoid problems before I come across them...looking to order my materials and start on this early October so there is no rush...just excited to give this a shot

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe your thinking Pod System.......
    I used a Western Mountaineering Alpinelite bag.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Sounds like you could make your own Speer PeaPod if you want it to also be used as a TQ/UQ. Just make it wide enough for the two of you, and to wrap around your hammock. Then install a full length zipper so that it could be zipped up around the hammock or yourself. Sew channels in the ends to string some sock cord through that would allow you to cinch up the ends.

Just remember, when you lay directly on top of your insulation, you compress it. That is why most use an UQ, or some type of pad that doesn't compress.

Dang it! Shug beat me to it. Here it is anyway.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    You have a good idea running through your head guy .. keep at it ...below is a link to a Speer Peapod .. essentially what you're trying to accomplish is a combination of everything .. most of the people here like myself .. once we have a system dialed in with a hammock as our system .. we avoid the ground at any cost .. I grew up bivy and tarp camping so my roots are always there .. and those scenarios remain there in my gear selection as well .. the gear we hang with can be utilized on ground as well .. a tarp is tarp..double layer hammocks can be stuffed with leaves/pine needles .. top quilts used no matter where you're sleeping .. a screened hammock makes a bivy on the ground .. the possibilities are endless .. and so is your imagination .. figure out what works for you .. thoroughly test it .. and enjoy it .. you'll have a tons of satisfaction laying warm in hammock or tent ..with gear you designed and made yourself .. as questions arise ..come here .. seek and you will find .. I look forward to seeing your ideas come to fruition ...

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    dang..you both beat me to it .. posted while I was typing ..to funny
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    Thanks to all 3 of you! That's hilarious that everyone posted the same product so that's encouraging (can't see youtube at work but I'll take a look on my phone during my lunch that is coming up soon).

@BlackWolf --Off topic but it might explain my purpose for this since you were already on the trail -- I started with a double layer 1.1 ripstop hammock even though 1 layer should be enough for my 160lbs...I've also got an 8x10 tarp with extra tie-outs so that I can have a "closed door" at their end. The idea for the double layer is so I could bring along a pad with my hammock setup and regardless of what the area is like around me, I can set up as either ground or hammock setup...use the hammock/bug net as a bivy and then the tarp is the same...this is exactly the reason I'm trying for a "do it all" quilt.
    I have used a regular sleeping bag and pad down to around 40F and it was toasty but I'm thinking anything under 30F will require an under quilt solution. The lowest I normally experience is 15-20F and that would be the absolute lowest I'd try to make this for.

Will be posting back in about an hour to comment on the PeaPod thing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    Work picked up quite a bit.

As for the PeaPod, it's very similar to what I'm looking to make. I can definitely make the same thing out of my quilt by adding length to meet their dimensions at 72x114. However, it appears that extra length is added to cover the person's entire body and close at both ends, which seems like it would allow for condensation to build up in the down.

Seeing the PeaPod pretty much will set me to work now. I'll start looking for a good place for cheap, decent down (700FP or more) to make a prototype with and get started in a month or so...just about to start on a double walled tent for a friend.

I'll be sure to post back (a video if possible) afterwards with some feedback on it.

• + New Posts