Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Satisfied owners of many Hennessy and Clark hammocks --the first a major market supplier, the second maybe no larger than Warbonnnetoutdoors -- would not be surprised. They sleep comfortably in many 8 foot x 4 foot hammocks, using an effective area that's not much different from what is in your 7 x 5.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    How tall are you?

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmoe View Post
    How tall are you?
    I'm 5'11" and weigh 210 lbs.

If you are trying to go UL, or SUL with your hammock kit then I would suggest you take a look at this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20614 you could make the hammock smaller than what SGT. Rock made and come in lighter than him!

I just realized that I didn't post my hammock specs on my last post....sorry..... mine is made from 1.5 rip stop 9'x58" with two pieces of elastic sewn into the hem at the head and foot area, this was made for me by another forum member as I have absolutely "NO" thread injector skills. I am 5'9" 190#

This is the most comfy hammock I've ever owned, and I think I could go shorter, but I think somewhere around 4" or so would be need to be added to the width then.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Satisfied owners of many Hennessy and Clark hammocks --the first a major market supplier, the second maybe no larger than Warbonnnetoutdoors -- would not be surprised. They sleep comfortably in many 8 foot x 4 foot hammocks, using an effective area that's not much different from what is in your 7 x 5.
    Thanks for the info. I have yet to look at a commercial hammock; I like the idea of DIY It probably wouldn't hurt to take a gander the next time I'm at a store that sells them. Besides Walmart, the only other store in the area, that I know sells hammocks, sells Eno hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    If you are trying to go UL, or SUL with your hammock kit then I would suggest you take a look at this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20614 you could make the hammock smaller than what SGT. Rock made and come in lighter than him!

I just realized that I didn't post my hammock specs on my last post....sorry..... mine is made from 1.5 rip stop 9'x58" with two pieces of elastic sewn into the hem at the head and foot area, this was made for me by another forum member as I have absolutely "NO" thread injector skills. I am 5'9" 190#

This is the most comfy hammock I've ever owned, and I think I could go shorter, but I think somewhere around 4" or so would be need to be added to the width then.
    Thanks, CrankyBear. I'll check out the link shortly. My main hammock (one that I sleep in each night) measures 7'x60" and is just as comfortable as when it was 9'x60" (and that was very comfortable!).

Edit: Yep, I had read that thread a while back. Thanks!
    Last edited by mrmike65; 09-16-2012 at 11:09.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If it works for you then that is all that counts
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmike65 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have yet to look at a commercial hammock; I like the idea of DIY It probably wouldn't hurt to take a gander the next time I'm at a store that sells them. Besides Walmart, the only other store in the area, that I know sells hammocks, sells Eno hammocks.
    Nothing whatever wrong with DIY; I didn't imply that, nor that these commercial hammocks satisfy your desire to be UL. You hardly have to have the interest and capacity to sew, even by hand, to make a hammock, it just takes DIY spirit, and I applaud your going against a grain of greater size. (If you're sleeping alone, is a single-size bed hardship? No.)

I pointed these commercial hammocks out only because they were not large, and some not inexpensive. Not particularly light, the makers could have found other ways to reduce weight than to keep size small.

I am about to pack a Nano 7 for the day. Mine is just over 8' (x 4'), and no more complex, lighter, or better than what you and others DIY.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images

micro-hammock experiment results

OK, so this is just a bit of research to see how low I can go (and still be off the ground!). I want to see just how small (both hang size and packed) and lightweight I can get and still get a decent night's sleep. I'm thinking of something that would be appealing to someone who wants a sub-8 lb pack, such a trail runner or bike racer. I believe it's just a matter of finding a compromises. One of the compromises that I put in place was to limit the seasonal scope to 3-season (Spring/Summer/Fall), mostly because I feel that if you can achieve the 3 seasons, the fourth is just a matter of changing up the insulation.

Last night's experiment:

Hypothesis: Having been able to successfully nap for an hour in my hammock chair, with my feet lodged up on the suspension, it seems possible to spend the night in similar fashion with the addition of weather protection and insulation.

Conditions: In the back yard, 60* with 5-10 mph wind and clear skies.

Gear: 1.1oz silnylon Hammock Chair (5.5'x4', cinch end, with 3' whoopie slings, 5' tree straps, 2 biners. total weight: 7 oz. I also used my modular sock (bottom, top and 4 stakes, 15 oz) and a reflective pad (5 oz) made from a car sunscreen. I also used my top quilt (30 oz). The TQ doesn't really qualify as meeting the scope of the experiment, but helped to support the focus: the feasibility of using a hammock chair overnight.

Observations:
    1. The first hour was comfortable. but then the suspension started messing with my leg circulation as I shifted about. Re-aligning my legs on the suspension eased this, but had to be done periodically.

2. I tried using my top quilt to suspend my feet. By putting my feet in the TQ's footbox and draping it over the suspension line, one foot on each side, my feet were held up as if in stirrups. I did something like this the other night, but it didn't seem to work as well this time.

3. With regards to 1 & 2, and the duration of comfort, it occurs to me that the key difference is that in previous setups I had positioned the hammock chair in lounge mode - one end higher than the other. Last night's setup had the hammock with both ends the same height. I think I will have to try this again with the hammock in lounge mode.

4. With the flat setup, it seems like another foot in length would have added considerably to the comfort level. This would bring the dimensions to 6.5'x4' and weigh approx. 8oz. with the suspension. However, extending the length of the hammock might not be neccesary if other factors can be adjusted (changing to lounge mode, modifying the foot suspension to take some of the wieght off the back of the legs)

5. I think that if I can resolve the issue of suspending the feet comfortably through the night, I will make another sock to the dimensions and function of this particular setup. This could mean reducing the size of the sock bottom by nearly 33% (new weight:5oz) and the sock top by nearly 25% (new weight(6oz). I don't see how to reduce the size of the TQ, but getting one that is lighter and has a smaller footbox would help. I've heard of TQ's coming in at 1lb, but I'm not sure if they would be rugged enough to hang over suspension with the weight of my lower legs in it.

6. I would give this current setup a 5 out of 10 on being able to provide a decent night's sleep.

Any thoughts?

One possible change to the set-up could be the use of a PeaPod, which could eliminate the need for a TQ and UQ, add in a space blanket or a pad like the thin 1/8" evazote pad from GossamerGear (http://gossamergear.com/sleeping.html)!

The POD could be DIY'd to the exact size/spec you need.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast