HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    Sarge
    I will check the cords to the site we found and post them later tonight or tomorrow.
    If i remember correctly, the easiest path would be the road. I might try to get out there in the next couple of weeks to scout the area and find the best route to the pond.
    Yah. The map just shows the pond as a dot near the trail, but it does look like a fairly short distance----to the dot at least. (It would be ironic if we were within a hundred yards of the pond while on the trail----but perhaps we shouldn't admit that publicly)

It would be great if you can get out there to see if FS211A and FS231 are open. If either one is, it makes the entire enterprise a whole lot easier.

I will be watching this thread. I am scheduled to be on call that weekend, but it is usually pretty easy to switch. I'm hoping to do some kind of backpacking out there in the next few weeks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Yah. The map just shows the pond as a dot near the trail, but it does look like a fairly short distance----to the dot at least. (It would be ironic if we were within a hundred yards of the pond while on the trail----but perhaps we shouldn't admit that publicly)

It would be great if you can get out there to see if FS211A and FS231 are open. If either one is, it makes the entire enterprise a whole lot easier.
    Well 100 yards through most of that area is not a easy task.

I'm still a little confused about the route - you're planning to camp the first night on the LLCL trail, but then hike back up to the trailhead (#1) to get on themain LSHT for saturday hiking?

And the Pole Creek Trail doesn't appear to intersect FS211A at all - but the LLCL trail does.

This is the map I'm looking at that has all the small trails named
    http://lonestartrail.org/maps/simple/01wilderness.pdf
    Last edited by palameto; 09-06-2012 at 20:11. Reason: addition

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palameto View Post
    I'm still a little confused about the route - you're planning to camp the first night on the LLCL trail, but then hike back up to the trailhead (#1) to get on themain LSHT for saturday hiking?

And the Pole Creek Trail doesn't appear to intersect FS211A at all - but the LLCL trail does.

This is the map I'm looking at that has all the small trails named
    http://lonestartrail.org/maps/simple/01wilderness.pdf
    Friday nite's campsite is a clearing 1/2 mile down the Little Lake Loop. To hike the Main LSHT, we'd have to hike back to PL #1 where it starts, or bushwhack due east to intersect the LSHT.

You're correct that Pole Creek does not intersect FS211A. We will hike the LSHT to where it intersects the Pole Creek Trail and then go south on it to where it intersects the Little Lake trail, and from there loop back north to near where it intersects FS211A.

Sorry for the confusion. I've highlighted my copy of the trail map and did that last section in yellow, without realizing there are two trails involved.
    Last edited by sargevining; 09-06-2012 at 21:23.

Great, thanks for the clarification! How have the mosquitoes been out there? Are your hammocks treated or double layered? I'm considering treating mine with permethrin...

Quote Originally Posted by palameto View Post
    Great, thanks for the clarification! How have the mosquitoes been out there? Are your hammocks treated or double layered? I'm considering treating mine with permethrin...
    The last time the mosquitoes where not bad but I did have my cloths and hammock treated. I would recommend treating your gear.
    Better safe than sorry...

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I think the tree frogs have eaten all the bugs (except the spiders!!!! We will find plenty of them across the trail)

But, I would treat if you have the ability. It just makes life easier.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

I did not forget about the gps cords but my son decided it was a neat idea to hide the GPS unit from me. When I find it, I will post them.

I was out hiking and tried to find that pond today near FS211A and failed miserably. I mean, I didn't try that hard - I walked off into the woods from the LLCL trail about where I thought it should be and then turned back north toward the road. Not only did I not find it, I missed the trail walking back down the road and walked too far east til the road starts to curve south. Anyway, I made it back okay.

If I am able to make it on this trip I will be very interested to see this mysterious secret pond!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast