Tarp
    Homemade Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles

Talking about the tablecloth hammocks.

Got me to wondering.

We know the wonderful fluffyness of microfiber fleece and how warm it keeps you in winter.

You can get a throw for cheap. Why not sew it to the outside of the hammock then sew another layer over top of that just to keep it cleaner? So you have a nice triple layer... your favorite color of taffeta for right next to your skin, microfiber fluffyness to keep you warm underneath, and then another layer to stop the wind?

You could even leave the gap accessible to stuff more insulation in there with you if you wanted to. Ideas? Opinions? thoughts? sew your channel that the rope goes through in the taffeta only. Then the microfiber and the outer layer just as a pouch so you can open it up from either end and feed it through.

Think it'd work?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The major drawback to fleece from a backpacking standpoint is the weight and lack of compression compared to down. Ounce for ounce down does better than fleece or other synth insulation. Will it work? Sure.... I've used fleece in my home setup where weight and bulk are not an issue.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I haven't tried fleece myself for the reasons Ramblinrev listed above, though I do love the warmth of fleece! As far as your hammock idea, I have something of a variation of what you are discussing in the thread linked in my signature. The second layer is fully detachable and can handle about any kind of insulation you want to throw into it.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I wouldn't sew Microfiber to my hammock. I'd come home and the neighbors would be using my hammock to shamois their cars, I just KNOW it!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kattelyn View Post
    Got me to wondering.

We know the wonderful fluffyness of microfiber fleece and how warm it keeps you in winter.

You can get a throw for cheap. Why not sew it to the outside of the hammock then sew another layer over top of that just to keep it cleaner? So you have a nice triple layer... your favorite color of taffeta for right next to your skin, microfiber fluffyness to keep you warm underneath, and then another layer to stop the wind?

You could even leave the gap accessible to stuff more insulation in there with you if you wanted to. Ideas? Opinions? thoughts? sew your channel that the rope goes through in the taffeta only. Then the microfiber and the outer layer just as a pouch so you can open it up from either end and feed it through.

Think it'd work?
    I like your idea for an indoor hammock concept and as soon as I make one I'll make a review on your post giving you the credit. Thanks for the idea...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

• + New Posts