Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Motorcycle guy from Connecticut

First off I want to thanks the people responsible for this great forum.

I'm looking to buy a hammock for motorcycle camping. I normally go on one big trip and this year it was Nova Scotia and a couple weekend trips.

All the longer trips are with a couple rider and camping always comes up but in the end we want to see so much and get so many miles in that hotels make more sense.

I'm looking at hammocks because it would be nice to have a light weight option so maybe we could camp some of the time.

I would like to get something in the next couple weeks for some camping in the NY finger lakes in early Oct.

I'm looking at a WBBB 1.1 DL and was thinking about going with the 2 pads listed on the site.

I was also thinking about a cheapo tarp for my first hang and if it works out to get something nicer.

I ride a Ducati which isn't the first bike you think of when you picture someone moto camping but it goes just about anywhere I want short of real single track trails.

Oh well that is enough about me. Basically I wanted to thank you all for the info, Say Hi, See if anyone had any advice for me about what to buy and I guess if anyone has a used WBBB or tarp let me know.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Welcome motocamper...yet another rider on HF, good times! I have two WBBBs (1.1 dbl and 1.7 dbl with adjustable webbing suspension) and one Traveler. Like them very much and have found they are perfect for moto camping. One thing to keep in mind (I did not listen when first here ) is space and then weight. After the hammock I'd recommend you consider launching into a good down UQ/TQ just for comfort and packing convenience. I went cheaper and bulky first then spent more cash on the kit redo so it would fit in my paniers while leaving room for other necessities.

My prefered kit is;
    WBBB 1.1 dbl adjustable webbing.
    HG Incubator UQ.
    HG Burrow (custom wide) 20 degree TQ.
    AHE Toxaway tarp.
    Nite-Ize adjustable bungees for attaching gear to the moto and tarp set up.

Enjoy HF and stand by to learn acronym language.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Never been out to the East Coast - yet! Hello and Welcome from Canada! Are you riding a Multistrada?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    One of the reasons I went to hammocks, aside from the comfort, is that you no longer need bulky pads. In my motorcycle gear, the large pad used to take up most of my room, that is why you see them lashed on wherever they can fit them,...frees up a lot of room not using pads.
    For backpacking, it's also nice to not have to figure out how to strap a pad on a pack.
    An underquilt may the most expensive part of a hammock set-up, but it is also the part that makes everything work properly.

hmmmm, OK so the UQ is making more sense now.

Question, if I got just a 3/8 foam pad and had a sleeping bag do you think I would be warm enough into maybe the high 40s? Right now I would prefer to get the WBBB and basics to test it out then I can add on the good stuff.

If I like hammock camping I could get a UQ for next season or any colder camping?

Dragon the Ducati is a monster.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Nice bike, and welcome to the forum.. You will find all kinds of great information here. Good luck.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by motocamper View Post
    hmmmm, OK so the UQ is making more sense now.

Question, if I got just a 3/8 foam pad and had a sleeping bag do you think I would be warm enough into maybe the high 40s? Right now I would prefer to get the WBBB and basics to test it out then I can add on the good stuff.

If I like hammock camping I could get a UQ for next season or any colder camping?

Dragon the Ducati is a monster.
    3/8 should be plenty warm, but remember a std 20" wide pad will not wrap around your shoulders.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, Eno DN
    Tarp
    MLD Trailstar
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Man I hope you have an aftermarket seat on that thing for touring! I use a ninja 650 r and hammock along the way, its much cheaper than a hotel and i think more comfortable. Welcome to the forum! Also what model duc? Low front handlebars say sport but the exhaust isn't under the tail and is throwing me off!

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Bentspoke View Post
    3/8 should be plenty warm, but remember a std 20" wide pad will not wrap around your shoulders.
    Do you think 3/8" minicel foam 72" x 48" would be a good size?

Quote Originally Posted by zetroe View Post
    Man I hope you have an aftermarket seat on that thing for touring! I use a ninja 650 r and hammock along the way, its much cheaper than a hotel and i think more comfortable. Welcome to the forum! Also what model duc? Low front handlebars say sport but the exhaust isn't under the tail and is throwing me off!
    Hey Zetroe,

The 650r is a great bike. My bike is a 07 S2R1000, I do have a gel seat but I find I can ride it all day without any comfort issues. But I am not a tall person I think that helps when you ride a Ducati all day.

I'm going to fab up some kind of rack system this winter. Right now I strap a pelican box to my seat and then put the soft saddle bags over that to keep them off the exhaust.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast