ULTRALIGHT tarp for hammock and ground

hello everyone,
    so finally after crying about the weight of a hammock, i stopped being such a baby and bought a HH hyperlight, and i've become quite a fan! i'm thinking about making it my shelter for my summer transamerica bicycle ride. however i'm also thinking about doing the JMT in the same summer (when im out in yellowstone, be a shame not to!) realistically i realize that i wont be able to find 2 suitable trees/structures all the time, so I'm looking for a lightweight tarp that can be used over my hyperlight and when i go to the ground. what would be an ideal dimension? for instance a rectangular 10x5 or something? i did the AT this summer with a ground set up with a poncho tarp, so i dont need a palace, i just need to make sure i've got enough room to be dry. i've got an 8x10 foot sil tarp lying around, but it's sooo heavy and big! any advice? remember think lightweight and versatile (and cuben is to bright for stealth camping imo)
    thanks!
    mike!
    (beershake!)
    p.s. Cannibal from florida, dude! p.m. me sometime, i wanna hear how your hike went! (we hiked together a little bit in PA, and that nice BBQ place, and that town i dont remember )

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeshift1 View Post
    hello everyone,
    so finally after crying about the weight of a hammock, i stopped being such a baby and bought a HH hyperlight, and i've become quite a fan! i'm thinking about making it my shelter for my summer transamerica bicycle ride. however i'm also thinking about doing the JMT in the same summer (when im out in yellowstone, be a shame not to!) realistically i realize that i wont be able to find 2 suitable trees/structures all the time, so I'm looking for a lightweight tarp that can be used over my hyperlight and when i go to the ground. what would be an ideal dimension? for instance a rectangular 10x5 or something? i did the AT this summer with a ground set up with a poncho tarp, so i dont need a palace, i just need to make sure i've got enough room to be dry. i've got an 8x10 foot sil tarp lying around, but it's sooo heavy and big! any advice? remember think lightweight and versatile (and cuben is to bright for stealth camping imo)
    thanks!
    mike!

(beershake!)
    p.s. Cannibal from florida, dude! p.m. me sometime, i wanna hear how your hike went! (we hiked together a little bit in PA, and that nice BBQ place, and that town i dont remember )
    Mike,

JRB 8x8 Tarp....9.4 oz....currently $20 off.... color choices too..

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Figures. I just ordered the WeatherShield and suspension system and now they're on sale.

Images
    if you want protection from the wind as well, you will need sides that come 4' or so down each side (8' wide) if you want the absolute minimum size, go with the hh stock tarp. most experienced hangers seem to opt for a bigger tarp for the added wind protection.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been thinking about using my http://www.thetravelhammock.com/products/at_hybrid.htm for my up coming Grand Canyon hike in December. I can use it like a hammock when the weather is dry and there is trees and I can use it like a tarp if it is raining or there is no trees. I may change my mind as I have done so about 4 times so far. Thought is could be a possibility for your set-up. You may be having more of a chance of rain where you are going and need a tarp and a hammock. In any case it sounds like a great trip.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    If cost isn't a problem, perhaps you could make you own out of Spinntex or Cuben fiber. This way, you can tailor the tarp to exactly what you want. If you don't feel that your not quite up to for making your own gear yet (or if you ever want to) sevearl manufactures make a very light weight tarps. (I know that the usual JRB and MacCat have been metion, so Ill mention the others.)

Gossamer Gear's SpinnTwinn is a really nice tarp. Though it was desgined for tarp camping, nothing says that you can't use it over you hammock. It was a shorther ridgleline length of 117 in (shorter than most hammock specific tarps at around 120").
    It also has a cat cut ridgeline, so the "head end" is higher than the "foot end". Not the best for a hammock, though, again, no thing it won't work.

Another UL option is the Hex Fly from MLD. This was made for hammocking w/ a longer ridgeline as well as a flat cut body. You can get it made from Sil, Spintex, and Cuben (though fairly expensive).

I also know that Bozeman Mountain Works is coming out with a reworked line of tarps, but I dont know when. I would imagine sometime soon, but who knows. In the end, look at how much you want to spend cost and weight wise, and go from there.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

OES is doing Spinntex tarps currently.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/index.html

thanks everyone for responding! pan thanks for responding, and i really am looking at the tarp, it would be a little short for a standard A-frame for me though, but i'd imagine setting it up like a diamond or something would be pretty bomber.. and man is it cheap! dutch i really like that hammock, cool idea! yeah i might have to go custom... i'm going to talk to ron at MLD and see what he thinks...
    thanks!
    mike!

• + New Posts