Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    My latest personal hammock is a double layer Nylon Taffeta. (Nite Grid Camo outside & Black inside) It's pretty sweet.
    Hmmmm... I just ordered a DB72 standard configuration. Now I read this stuff and begin wondering...

I've never felt nylon taffeta. Is its stretch characteristics similar to ripstop? Currently I'm using a 1.1 ripstop double layer and it feels pleasant enough against the skin. Good enough for a hammock I suppose. What characteristic does nylon taffeta have that might make it more plush/soft? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_p View Post
    Congrats on a great hammock. I have a hammock stand on my back porch and sleep outside in my DB dbl as much as possible. Wondering where I can store my high-dollar bed and move stand to bedroom.
    Don'n store it, sell it and buy some nice quilts or some cuben.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsemod View Post
    Hmmmm... I just ordered a DB72 standard configuration. Now I read this stuff and begin wondering...

I've never felt nylon taffeta. Is its stretch characteristics similar to ripstop? Currently I'm using a 1.1 ripstop double layer and it feels pleasant enough against the skin. Good enough for a hammock I suppose. What characteristic does nylon taffeta have that might make it more plush/soft? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I believe Hennessy Hammock uses this same material in the Ultralite Backpacker and Explorer Ultralite. Their website lists the fabric as "70D nylon taffeta, 160 x 90 high count"
    Disclaimer - I've never seen or felt either of these 2 particular HH models.

Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics has the Black in 110x80 count. The Night Grid Camo and Olive Green are 160x90 Hi Count. The Olive Green is kinda light in color with a slight yellowish cast to it. Not objectionable, but not a deep olive green. The Night Grid Camo is a one sided fabric and doesn't look great from the back side (just like me ). These fabrics weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.8-1.85 oz/yd.

I've used these fabrics several times in single layer and double layer hammocks without issue. My guess is that the stretch and strength would be close to the same as an equivalent weight ripstop, but this has a nice, softer finish that feels better than the "plasticy" feel I get from nylon ripstop.

These fabrics weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.8-1.85 oz/yd.
    So does that make your grid / black setup "heavy"? Sounds comfy... just wondering how beefy it is.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterbrown View Post
    So does that make your grid / black setup "heavy"? Sounds comfy... just wondering how beefy it is.
    A standard DangerBird using 2 layers of this fabric would weigh around 38-39 oz. give or take.
    A single layer would weigh 27 or 28 oz.

This particular test hammock (not a DangerBird), single line suspension with 6ft whoopies, experimental gear shelf, 10ft tree straps in the stuff sack, ready to hang weighs 33.25oz.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    well, well, well, and all this time i thought it was tablecloth blanks that you were using on your hammocks PS. My apologies... I might have found my next hammock...again...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Unfortunately, the only photo I have isn't very detailed.

The fabrics used are from OWF

Details about this particular test hammock:
    I took this one for a week-long hike on the AT this past July. My main goal was quick and easy setup. It's an integrated net hammock, but has no internal ridgeline to hold the net up and no side tie-outs. The tarp features an integrated Lash-it ridgeline built through the ridgeline seam and connected directly to cinch buckle suspension. If there's interest, I can start a new thread so we don't de-rail this one.
    Randy: color me interested in this project.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12