Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

But what if I have to go to ground?

I get a big kick out of the "But what if I have to go to ground?" threads. It's not a fear I share. Rather, I would avoid camping in places without trees, or take a tent instead, but not both.

But it got me thinking, are there places in the world where the worst fears of What If I Have To Go To Grounders will be realized?

A quick Google and I found a list of countries by forest area (as a percentage of land area). Percentages were compiled using information from the CIA's World Factbook 2011:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_forest_area

The chart is sortable so if you click on % of land area you'll see the places with the least amount of trees.

Not surprisingly, the Middle East and African countries top the list of countries with the fewest amount of trees. However, there are some surprises in this list (at least they surprised me):

1. Iceland (1%) & Greenland (0%) - I didn't know that Iceland had no trees. I wonder if that's because Iceland is made of, well, ice. And Greenland? Isn't it supposed to be green?
    2. Haiti is only 1.5% forested? Did the poor people burn all the trees for fuel? Um, probably so. The Dominican Republic is poor too, but they have 27.5% forest.
    3. Singapore, only 3% forested.
    4. The CIA says Uruguay is 4% forested, but the UN thinks 10% is forested. Either way, I expected a lot more trees. Then again, Uruguay is one of the most developed nations in Latin America. When development comes, the trees leave, I guess.
    5. The United Kingdom is only 11.76% forested. Geez, Shewie, do you guys take turns sharing the same two trees?
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-05-2012 at 14:56.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Another article I read said that Ireland is only 9% forested, which has me puzzled. Whenever anyone comes back from Ireland, the first thing they comment on is how green Ireland is. Four hundred years ago Ireland was rolling in trees, but a combination of factors have led to the decline of Ireland's forests.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have been to Greenland...it is beautiful. I would happily rock a tent if the opportunity for a repeat visit presented.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    FWIW - Archeological studies have shown that Iceland was once plentifully forested. It seems that deforestation occurred after the Vikings established colonies around 1100 yrs ago.
    I don't think I'll ever get the chance to go there, but it sounds like a nice place to visit.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    What is this "ground" of which you speak?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I, like you, do not fear going to ground; however, I would not bring a tent instead. The great thing about a hammock is the adaptability of the system as a whole. If I ended up in an area devoid of any way to hang the hammock I simply pitch my tarp (if it threatens rain) on the ground or just sleep cowboy style.

The only thing I would do different if I KNEW I was heading into an area which might force me to ground would be to substitute my underquilt for a CCF pad and SPE. Even then only if the temperature warranted this.

I don't like the ground, but I don't fear it either.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Another article I read said that Ireland is only 9% forested, which has me puzzled. Whenever anyone comes back from Ireland, the first thing they comment on is how green Ireland is. Four hundred years ago Ireland was rolling in trees, but a combination of factors have led to the decline of Ireland's forests.
    Ireland is very green. Lots and lots and lots of very green grass.

Not as many trees (at least on the eastern and northern coasts) as you might think, though. Lots of shrubbery and low-growing plants, but not many trees outside of obviously-planted areas inside of the cities. Lots of hedgerows, too, now that I think about it. Quite a bit of the country has been cleared for farmland and the raising of animals (lots of sheep).

At least, that was the impression I got on my honeymoon a couple years back; we saw quite a bit of the eastern coastline and up through the middle of the country to Northern Ireland's coast.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    We went to the French River in Ontario this summer and I had a really close look at the area with google earth before going and I could see that the closer you got to Georgian Bay, the fewer the trees became. To the point that they were virtually nonexistent, its all just windswept granite. Fortunately for me I knew this going into it and between the wind and the water levels I never made it all the way to the bay anyway and was easily able to hang in the areas we did visit. So it could happen, even in a part of the world known to normally have plenty of trees.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock UQ
    Suspension
    webbing-whoopies
    "Greenland" was an early effort of Viking public relations, because, well, it was anything but green. Stark and beautiful, people say, but isn't most of it covered by glaciers? Glaciers and trees don't seem to mix.

And FLRider's memories of Ireland are similar to my own. It's relentlessly green -- grassy fields filled with sheep, green hills and lots of shrubs. But not a lot of trees in the places I visited. Now, I remember some good trees in "The Quiet Man," filmed in County Mayo many decades ago. But I didn't make it that far west ...

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

1. Iceland (1%) & Greenland (0%) - I didn't know that Iceland had no trees. I wonder if that's because Iceland is made of, well, ice. And Greenland? Isn't it supposed to be green?
    Back in the day, Iceland was lush with green and Greenland was frozen with ice. The Vikings named them this way on purpose to deter colonists from Iceland. At least this is how I recollect it from my High school history class; which was 12 years ago. lol. My facts could be off.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast