Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    buy a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe all-in-one package and start hanging rather than spending all your time trying to decide what to purchase

Hmmm for 199.95 that includes everything.......hmmmmmmm Had not thought of HH before.
    Last edited by NarlocB; 09-06-2012 at 09:03.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I started with a GT SB Pro and a Kelty 12. I slept very comfortably in the SBPro for about 70 nights before I moved into a WBBB. I used the Noah 12 for several months before I went to a custom silnylon and more recently to a Cuben tarp.

If you get the GT, you will want to upgrade the suspension, but just buy some whoopie slings and tree straps. If you get any WB hammock, you will not need to upgrade the suspension. Either stock option with the Blackbird or a traveler are just fine. You may eventually want to change it out, but unlike the Grand Trunk, it is not necessary.

Just my 2˘.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NarlocB View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. So responses

Are you backpacking or car camping? backpacking

How old are the kids you may be sharing your set up? 8, 10, the oldest being 12 but he would want his own.

What seasons are you planning on being in the trees? 3 seasons to start, I'm from Minnesota originally so I plan eventually to be out in the snow, but the family probably won't go then.....they don't like the cold like me.

Is there a group hang in the near future within driving distance you can attend and actually try some out before you buy? Yes next month

What is your real budget? Budget is whatever i want but the bottom line will be what the wife will let me spend. I could drop 600-800 today but then the wife would probably make me sleep in it till next year. Figure best to start at a resonable number and work my way up to all the 'needed' stuff.

As for the bugs, MD bugs suck, plain and simple. There is a reason i want the bug net on all the hammock choices above.

get more help if you can prioritize what is important to you in a hammock Function and a good night sleep is the most important. Color/Delivery times do not matter to me. Weight might be important, but with a family of 5 camping, I'm normally the one carrying the god-aweful heavy 6man tent anyway. Anything to lighten my load the better, and if the kids like them, they will eventually carry their own....*pictures a lighter load and dreams of the day* Price would be last, as importance goes. Could i buy each of the systems above, sure, but other then having the ability to use them all , a different one each day....hehe.

As for the dutchware, i do realize it isn't needed, but as you pointed out, eventually i would want it anyway.

Will make note of the eno slapstraps suckage factor and will replace them on my list.

My only concern with the WBBB is the netting looks like it will constantly be in my face which would drive me nuts.
    You may also want to consider the Tree To Tree Gear Switchback. The netting unzips on both side and can be rolled up out of the way.....secured to a non structural ridgeline. It a really comfortable high quality rig.

Miguel

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    You may want to consider some other hammocks like the Dangerbird by PapaSmurf, the Wilderness Logics Night Owl, the Switchback by Tree to Tree Trail Gear and the Jungle Hammock by Mosquito Hammocks. I don't mean to add to the confusion, but these are some very nice hammocks also, and you may want to consider them. I would suggest you go to a local hang and try some for yourself before you decide.
    Arrrrrgggghhhhhh MORE CHOICES

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    If you are on any kind of doghouse budget here is what I would do to get yourself hanging:

Hammock: crinkle taffeta tablecloth from www.tableclothsfactory.com $12~
    Tarp: Campmor 10x12 $35-40 or a poly tarp for $10
    !
    Do you mean these???

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Bl...nk_117_blk.htm

will these hold up a big guy???

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    In regards to the Tablecloths holding up a big guy the answer is Yes. I'm 240 lbs and me, my wife and our 5yr old Boxer were in one with not problems. Granted he did not stay in it long, maybe 30min. The combined weight was around 420 lbs. This is my go to hammock, and you can outfit the family with hammocks very inexpensively, especially if they are only hanging in the backyard or overnighters.

Except the link you posted is for the round table cloth. You want the rectangle 60x126, 90x132 or 90x156. (I use the 60x126 but I'm a short build)

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/132.htm

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/category-s/149.htm
    Last edited by RockIsland; 09-06-2012 at 11:59. Reason: add links

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I made a double-layer tableclothfactory hammock that probably has the weight capacity to hold a small elephant. At $12.99 a tablecloth, you can save your greenbacks for insulation, tarps and bugnets. I wish the tablecloth hammocks were around when I started out hammock camping.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    buy a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe all-in-one package and start hanging rather than spending all your time trying to decide what to purchase

Hmmm for 199.95 that includes everything.......hmmmmmmm Had not thought of HH before.
    That's what I did. I was so much simpler. I was ready to go for $200 plus it came with free snake skins. Only thing you might do afterwards is tweak your suspension alittle. But over all the HH explorer Deluxe Side Zip was a great choice.

Think about it, by time you buy all the individual items from various sites the shipping is gonna kill you. WB makes a good hammock but its gonna run you alittle more in cost. Its up to you how you want to do it.

I recommend buying a all-in-one kit. That way you have one solid setup. After that start DIYing a new setup or buying parts of other setups. But first get one solid setup complete.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    That's what I did. I was so much simpler. I was ready to go for $200 plus it came with free snake skins. Only thing you might do afterwards is tweak your suspension alittle. But over all the HH explorer Deluxe Side Zip was a great choice.

Think about it, by time you buy all the individual items from various sites the shipping is gonna kill you. WB makes a good hammock but its gonna run you alittle more in cost. Its up to you how you want to do it.

I recommend buying a all-in-one kit. That way you have one solid setup. After that start DIYing a new setup or buying parts of other setups. But first get one solid setup complete.
    That's what I did as well, buying a HH Expedition Asym Zip for $159.95. I simply couldn't deal with the information overload. At the rate I was going (months of research), I was never going to make a decision about any gear. Once I got my Hennessy, I could lie in my hammock and continue to explore options without any pressure. My only regret was that I didn't get the larger HH Hex tarp.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Do you mean these???

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Bl...nk_117_blk.htm

will these hold up a big guy???
    They have been rated up to 400lbs by papasmurf, who uses these for his danger birds...I am ordering one within the next week from amazon.

People have reported them ripping through, but if you check your tablecloth and find any holes or thin spots, you may have to get another and use the first cloth as intended. Don't let this discourage you though, it seems like a fairly abnormal thing.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast