Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images

Talking I've finally decided!

After what feels like an eternity of crying under my bed over my decision on which hammock to choose I've finally made my choice! I'm going to order the Clark UL with the XL fly, and here are my reason for anyone else out there in the same dilemma that I was in:

-I wanted top entry, the zippers for the bugnet also felt better than the velcro that you find on for an example the speer.
    -I wanted to be able to sit up in the hammock.
    -I liked the pockets underneath, finally having an extra sweater close to hand during the night. Though having six pockets, like the NA has, would be a waste, since I never bring that much stuff to fill them when I'm out.
    -I wanted a hammock system around 2 lbs, so fairly light as possible.
    -I wanted a separate rectangular tarp. This helps setting up in the rain as it would be up first of all.
    -It's always buggy where I am, so having a non de-attachible bug net is fine for me.

Even though the weather shield was a really nice feature of the NA, I just couldn't justify paying 100 bucks for the 2 ounces. I'll just pitch the tarp closer if it's cold or windy, or make a hammock sock.

Some of those that did convince me where:

cavediver2's great informative video!

RTR's thread

Annie (note that I have reduced the original text)
    What I LOVE about the Clark:

1. SPACE: I can sit up inside to read or change clothes, I can move around without tipping. I can lie on my back, on my side, or on my stomach, if I want! It's VERY spacious inside.

3. TWO SIDED ENTRY. I can get in and out on either side. Both sides have zippers that go from the toe to the head and can be opened inside or out.

4. Multiple uses. I can sleep in it 100% open air. I can take off the tarp, zip up the bugnet only and sleep under the stars with protection from mosquitos. I can use it as a camp chair also.

5. Storage. Beneath the NA model, there are 6 pockets, three on each side. Various models have various number of pockets. I suggest the NA. In each pocket I can store my shoes, extra clothes, tarps, anything not sharp. This actually keeps you warm underneath and so far this year, I have not used an underquilt. We've camped in weather down to 50 degrees. You can reach all of these pockets from INSIDE the hammock, so if you get cold in the night and need more clohtes, you can just reach out and get them. There are two convenient pockets inside the hammock for keys, flashlight, wallet, gun, knife, or whatever you want kept close. There are loops inside the hammock if you'd like to string a ridgeline to hang things from. For instance, I bought a tiny mini LED light so I can turn it on in the dark night if I need to see. It hangs from my ridgeline so i can reach it.

I just can't say enough good things about the Clark. I'm totally satisfied and doubt I'll ever need another hammock. This is the best money I've ever spent.
    Carol Corbridge
    I started hammocking a couple years ago with a Clark North American. Loved it, but too heavy. So I moved on to the Ultra Light. Also loved it. But, in search of an ever better hammock I made my own Speer style hammocks. They were longer, wider and lighter.

I've now returned to the Clark. I like the design, especially the hoods at both ends. Great for stowing gear and leaning on while reading.

Now my question to you out there, should I get the Clark tree straps or is there a better suspension system?
    Last edited by Chris.Biomed; 10-18-2008 at 15:53.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    After what feels like an eternity of crying under my bed over my decision on which hammock to choose I've finally made my choice! I'm going to order the Clark UL with the XL fly,

Even though the weather shield was a really nice feature of the NA, I just couldn't justify paying 100 bucks for the 2 ounces. I'll just pitch the tarp closer if it's cold or windy, or make a hammock sock.

Now my question to you out there, should I get the Clark tree straps or is there a better suspension system?
    A> Yeah! Finally picked one, and it is a good choice. Make sure you get the drip rings included, though, as they don't ship them with anymore unless you ask for them, and they work and are needed, no matter what anyone tells you.

B> The Clark is a great hammock, although the weathershield is worth the weight, especially when the temp drops a little, or it's really foggy/moist. I might reconsider, if the added cost isn't the killer.

C> You are opening up a whole new can of worms now, aren't you? Don't you know yet that suspension systems are almost as personal as the hammocks? I think you could spend several months trying different suspensions as well. I have a different suspension for each of my 6 regular hammocks, and backup suspensions for those in case I want to try something different, and different suspension systems in my cars in case I need to take a roadside nap with the hammocks I carry in my car. Haven't used the Clark tree straps, but I will suggest using the hitchcraft rope tie ( http://www.hitchcraft.net/ ) with the Clark ropes and ditch the recommended bowline that they suggest, unless you like futzing with your suspension/knots to get that perfect pitch.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Drip Ring Question

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    A> Yeah! Finally picked one, and it is a good choice. Make sure you get the drip rings included, though, as they don't ship them with anymore unless you ask for them, and they work and are needed, no matter what anyone tells you....
    Aren't the drip rings metal rings that the rope is wrapped through and around?

Is there any danger of the drip ring abrading the rope and hence introducing a weak point in the suspension?

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    B> The Clark is a great hammock, although the weathershield is worth the weight, especially when the temp drops a little, or it's really foggy/moist. I might reconsider, if the added cost isn't the killer.
    You just had to make me hesitate! Oh well, 100 bucks or not... that is the question. Maybe it's something that I would regret not choosing when I get the UL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    You just had to make me hesitate! Oh well, 100 bucks or not... that is the question. Maybe it's something that I would regret not choosing when I get the UL.

I would go for the weather shield.
    Worth all the $$$ when needed.

It also kept me several degrees warmer last winter.
    Had temp with me, one sensor outside and the temp inside.
    In the initial stage i think i had -7C outside and 5C inside.
    It leveled out during the night though.

Last edited by moski; 10-19-2008 at 05:15.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moski View Post

I would go for the weather shield.
    Worth all the $$$ when needed.

It also kept me several degrees warmer last winter.
    Had temp with me, one sensor outside and the temp inside.
    In the initial stage i think i had -7C outside and 5C inside.
    It leveled out during the night though.
    Wow!!!!!! Now that is a convincing statement! You've just sold me to the North American model! Thanks for the help, looking forward to the Clark arriving.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    I've now paid for the Clark NA... can't wait for it to come! Also purchased JRB's tarp tensioning lines and the monster ropetie from hitchcraft.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    A> Yeah! Finally picked one, and it is a good choice. Make sure you get the drip rings included, though, as they don't ship them with anymore unless you ask for them, and they work and are needed, no matter what anyone tells you.

Allow me to second this. I tried without them and it did not go well. I don't know if a drip line would be as effective since I didn't try it but the drip rings work and staying dry over two days of solid soaking rain was worth a few ounces for me.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Aren't the drip rings metal rings that the rope is wrapped through and around?

Is there any danger of the drip ring abrading the rope and hence introducing a weak point in the suspension?
    Yes, the drip rings are the metal rings.

I haven't noticed any abrading - the drip rings are basically polished aluminum - very smooth, and cause no more abrasion than a biner. And since they never move on the line - basically stay in the same place that they are originally placed for as long as you use/own the hammock, it's more a question of the stress on that one point in the line than any real abrasion, which I haven't noticed as an issue either. Of course, anytime you change the direction of your supporting line (suspension), you introduce a weak point, whether that be a knot, a loop, or a hitch around itself or a different object like a tree, a ring, a buckle or a biner.

So yes, it could introduce a weak point, but it's worth it as those rings really work.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes, the drip rings are the metal rings.

I haven't noticed any abrading - the drip rings are basically polished aluminum - very smooth, and cause no more abrasion than a biner. And since they never move on the line - basically stay in the same place that they are originally placed for as long as you use/own the hammock, it's more a question of the stress on that one point in the line than any real abrasion, which I haven't noticed as an issue either. Of course, anytime you change the direction of your supporting line (suspension), you introduce a weak point, whether that be a knot, a loop, or a hitch around itself or a different object like a tree, a ring, a buckle or a biner.

So yes, it could introduce a weak point, but it's worth it as those rings really work.
    Are they simply an AL band/ring?

Would it be possible to get a close-up photo of the drips rings?/ I have tried the web site in the past, but the rings weren't particularly visible.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast