Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    3 season bag

indoors hammock?

what's the best way to hang a hammock inside? eye hooks from wall to wall? cut small holes in the ceiling to attach to rafters? oh yeah and if it matters, im using a ENO double

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Vario hammock stand for me. Had a JRB BMBH in my room for the past couple weeks.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    3 season bag
    ok. i was thinking about makin an outdoor stand since my yard doesnt have many trees (the time i did hang it up it was from a tree to the light pole lol) so maybe ill make it so it can be taken apart to be kinda portable.

Images
    I agree with jeff on the vario. After considering bolting the wall and possibly destroying stuff, then thinking I would build my own, a year later I finally bought the vario.
    Absolutely a great stand. It's been set up in the guest room since (well except one night when we had company). My son has been sleeping in it every night but I called dibs on the weekends. I have a homemade bridge hung on it. It's also wicked convenient for experimenting with different types of hammocks....
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If you ever decide to upgrade to a true home hammock you'll be disappointed with the commercial stands out there. The vast majority of my home hammocks (Brazilians, Nicaraguans, Mayans, etc; I sleep full time in a hammock) are significantly longer than those we use for camping. They are also significantly more comfortable.

I haven't found a stand yet that will allow me to hang one of these hammocks. I tried hanging my HH from a similar stand one night and was glad nobody had a camera. If you are looking to sleep in a hammock at home I would recommend a different hammock and a DIY stand. The stands are crazy easy to build and fairly cheap, plus will work on the longer hammocks as well as the camping hammocks.

I have quit using a stand at home (for now) as I have a beautiful exposed wooden beam running right down the perfect spot for my hammock. All my testing is done in the basement where the rafters are exposed. I've never had a fall hanging from rafters or studs (in a house, the Smokies don't count) after about 2 years and my weight has been anywhere between 240 and 210. Pick your spot well and use long screws; no worries.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I used eye bolts & drilled Through the wall. 1 eye bolt comes out in the pantry in my kitchen, the other is in my wife's closet. The bolt & nuts of the eye bolts are 3/4 inch. both are backed up by: 1.5" washer at the eye, bolt through the wall, then 1/2' x 4' x 8' board, 2.5' washer 2' washer 1.5' washer, nut.
    Both eye bolts are against 2" x 6" wall studs. Yes, 2 x 6, it's an Old house (built 1939). I thought about drilling thru the studs, but figured that would take hours.
    The hammock is attached by 2 carabiners for easy removal & transfer to work, where I have the same eye bolt set up, well, it's close.

Nope, no pictures, no (decent) camera,, yet.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    I use two eye hooks that are approx. 3/8" thick with wood threads on the end. The threaded part is about 1 1/2" to 2" long. I have exposed 4X4 beams in my house (Cabin style home) and made a tiny pilot hole and then just hand screwed the eye bolts into them all the way till the eye hole was flush with the beam. Have been sleeping in my hammock as my main bed for about two months now and have had no issues at all. No loosening, cracking of wood or bending of hardware. I am kinda small @ 5'7" and weigh in at 160lbs.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I have quit using a stand at home (for now) as I have a beautiful exposed wooden beam running right down the perfect spot for my hammock. All my testing is done in the basement where the rafters are exposed. I've never had a fall hanging from rafters or studs (in a house, the Smokies don't count) after about 2 years and my weight has been anywhere between 240 and 210. Pick your spot well and use long screws; no worries.
    I may have written this somewhere before. I can't remember where though. Oh well. Deja vu.

I second the "beam" method, if possible. I'm not using screws though. I drilled (small) holes in a long exposed beam in my basement ceiling, ran a piece of rope run through each hole and tied them off as loops, and clipped my hammock suspension 'biners onto the rope loops. No worries.

I made sure the holes were small, and drilled up closer to the middle of the beam instead of the edge. I wanted as much "beam wood" support under the loops as possible. You really don't want to be weakening a weight bearing beam -- bad for your hammock but worse for your house.

I check the ropes regularly for wear, but it has been a long time now with no appreciable wear on the ropes.

Just fwiw.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Man, I would love to hang indoors. My backyard is such a mud pit where I am often walking around my stand. Sure, I can and do hang bone dry, but walking around out there in all of that mud gets old. Plus I pretty much have to wear my boots, or sooner or later the wet mud will find a way into my Crocs or other footwear. Plus even with my boots, sooner or later- as I get in and out of the hammock- I manage to get my boot laces muddy, which ends up getting my pants muddy- and on and on it goes. I think what I will try next is my boots with the laces removed.

Those conditions made me really paranoid about hanging the MWUQ when I received it the other day- fear of dropping it into the mud while trying to install it onto the BMBH the first time. But, I got 'er done, with much trepidation. If I had dropped it, there would have been much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Now I have to go out and hang my brand new WBBB over that mess. It has rained for many days now.

There is no room for a stand inside, plus the STF would be shattered(spousal tolerance factor). How solid is a typical wall stud? Even if you reinforced the way that Doctari mentions, what about where the stud itself is attached to the rest of the house? Plus, there are no exposed studs in my house, other than the attic. So I might could go through the drywall and screw into them, but it seems like reinforcing would require removing dry wall and such. All of this might be reasonable out in the garage, but then my garage is pretty well occupied with 2 vehicles.

But boy would it be handy to do most hammock testing inside, though probably not for testing insulation.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-16-2008 at 15:10.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    I use two eye hooks that are approx. 3/8" thick with wood threads on the end. The threaded part is about 1 1/2" to 2" long. I have exposed 4X4 beams in my house (Cabin style home) and made a tiny pilot hole and then just hand screwed the eye bolts into them all the way till the eye hole was flush with the beam. Have been sleeping in my hammock as my main bed for about two months now and have had no issues at all. No loosening, cracking of wood or bending of hardware. I am kinda small @ 5'7" and weigh in at 160lbs.

I am also using 3/8" diameter 2.5" corse thread hooks in my home. I predrilled the drywall covered 2x4's with an 11/32's drill bit before the install. I weigh 180lbs and have been using this set up nearly every night for about 6 months. No problems thus far. I do use quite a bit of sag. I would want to use through bolts if the hammock was going to be used with less sag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast