Continuous Ridge Line Advantages ?

I have been reading a lot of posts regarding tarp ridge lines and the differences between a continuous ridge line and the single (end) lines...

As a newbie to hammock/tarp camping I would like to ask the following :

What are the advantages/benefits and disadvantages or both ridge line options ?

I like the idea of creating the "V" to allow the hammock suspension to hang free of the tarp ridge line, but just need some advice on whether to go for a continuous or end line ridge option...

I am based in the UK, so get a lot of rain and wind...

P.S. Would a continuous ridge line, prevent any falling debris from hitting me when in my hammock ? (I know you are supposed to check for this prior to pitching...)

Regards,

Mick

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It's a personal preference thing. I love my continuous ridgeline on my tarp. The big advantage is being able to simply slide the tarp over the hammock without any knots or figure 9's, etc. to mess with when making the adjustment.

I avoid conflict between the hammock suspension and the tarp ridgeline by wrapping the tarp line clockwise and the hammock suspension counter-clockwise around each tree. The result near the tree is that they are nearly one tree width apart and they criss-cross each other at the center of the hammock. The tarp is on a slightly different angle than the hammock but not enough to compromise coverage.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I like to have my tarp up high. That allows me to walk under it without stooping down and it let's me have a better view while hanging out. To get that set up I use 1 line for the tarp and then hang the hammock seperaty below it.
    I was just streatching the tarp, until I read about the ridge line. How much protection it gives from falling branches would depend on what the line is, para cord, amsteel.
    Happy hanging and welcome. I'm new too. I like to play with the suspension, so please share your ideas. I'm currently playing with a Lawson Blue Ridge. I think ill redo the lashing with amsteel today.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I tie my ends to the tree and have prusiks for adjustment so i really feel there is not much difference from an above the tarp CRL. Under the tarp CRL can provide support for the tarp when there is wet snow for example and it provides a place to hang stuff under the tarp like wet clothes or gear. Whatever works for you.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterBushcraft View Post
    I have been reading a lot of posts regarding tarp ridge lines and the differences between a continuous ridge line and the single (end) lines...
    What are the advantages/benefits and disadvantages or both ridge line options ?
    P.S. Would a continuous ridge line, prevent any falling debris from hitting me when in my hammock ? (I know you are supposed to check for this prior to pitching...)
    For most folks, it's a matter of personal preference. I use different line set ups on different tarps.

What I've found most appealing to me though on the CRL is that I only need one knot or tie off point and I don't need to worry about centering my tarp over my hammock since can be adjusted by sliding the prussics attaching the tarp to the CRL.

On one end I have a loop that I clip back upon the line after wrapping around the tree. (Dutch makes a great clip for this, a biner works fine, and even a toggle can be used.) The other end goes around the opposite tree and is tightened and tied off. (Great Dutchware for this too in the Tarp Flyz, I also use a figure 9 on some of my set ups.)

So, wrap, clip, walk to the other tree, wrap, tie off, then adjust tarp to center, stake and done.

The system above though may not give the "V" you are seeking since only one end is tied off. That's where there may be more appeal to the separate lines on each end. Two separate tie outs are also quite simple but may take some untying and retying to adjust tarp location over the hammock.

As far as the CRL protecting you from falling debris; that's not likely. It may deflect some small twigs but that's about it.

Some like to run the CRL under the tarp for added strength in snow. No experience there but it makes sense.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I tie my ends to the tree and have prusiks for adjustment so i really feel there is not much difference from an above the tarp CRL. Under the tarp CRL can provide support for the tarp when there is wet snow for example and it provides a place to hang stuff under the tarp like wet clothes or gear. Whatever works for you.
    I like this idea a lot too. In fact, I just saw Caveman's thread and video and may give this a try myself.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, GoLiteTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I'm a newbie as well and, as others have said, the CRL is great due to ease of adjustment. The setup I'm using is a knot bone on one end and Figure9 on the other with prusiks to attach the tarp. I can set the CRL up with a nice "V" at either end for the suspension to pass though. Makes for dead simple setup and adjustment.

(Similar to the setup illustrated here: http://www.whoopieslings.com/Tarp_Lines.html)

jw

Quote Originally Posted by JesterBushcraft View Post
    I like the idea of creating the "V" to allow the hammock suspension to hang free of the tarp ridge line, but just need some advice on whether to go for a continuous or end line ridge option...

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Any CRL will absorb some of the energy of a dead fall upon it.

Any downward force exerted upon a tarp will be better eased by a CRL than SELs. An upward force, such as billowing in the wind, will have equal effect between the two options.

Both upward and downward forces will have equal effect on a SEL.

Therefore, for the advanage of sustaining downward forces a CRl is better.

I like the crl for the ease of setup, to be able to slide it back and forth on the ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    1) I like being able to hang my CRL and then toss the tarp over it. I use toggles on a prussic to tighten it.

2) I have found the hard way that 25 feet of Zing It is not long enough for many CRL applications. I've considered cutting my Zing it in the field to make a non-continuous ridge line but then I found a different way to rig it. So that may be a disadvantage to a CRL. Then again, Zing it is so light that carrying a 35 foot length would add essentially no weight. But twice I've run into a situation where I didn't have quite enough ridge line length so I had to improvise by either choosing a different tree for the tarp line or by extending it with an extra piece of glow cord I had.

• + New Posts