Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    webbing/ring bckls
    Also, what are the specs I should be looking for on carabiners? I'm thinking of getting some just for ease of use, but idk how strong they need to be.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Since you are suspending yourself by them then use climbing rated ones.

Stu at whoopieslings.com has Nanobiners by CAMP (23 grams) at an excellent price. They are comparable in strength to the larger Ti ones (29 grams) by the same manufacturer. The larger ones are better for a harder reach at the tree (I hang my tarps high) while the smaller Nanos works fine at eye or counter height. That was my thinking anyway.

For the tarp ridge line I bought two small carabiners at Walmart yesterday for $1.97. I like them for their rounded edges when one cranks down to tension the line. Carabiners fail with side pressure on the gate so they will clip to tree straps with the ridge line running through them.

For use in and around the tarp, to prusiks and with guy lines,you might look at some microbiners from Ultralight Designs.

I feed mine through and use a biner for my whoopie so it cannot come off. And on my GFs hammy I use dutch clips.

Jeremy

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    webbing/ring bckls
    Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it!

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajenness3 View Post
    My biggest question is if the sewn loops are necessary or just preference?
    Imo its just preference. I've been using recently the Siberian(Evenk) hitch to hook up to trees. Basically a fast tying, secure and quick-release hitch.

Knots can weaken line, not sure how much it weakens the webbing...i just make sure to check for wear before heading out.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 09-09-2012 at 01:05.
    I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake.

Images
    Thanks, Rock. I guess the main issue is that I already ordered the straps and have them. I have a friend with a sewing machine, so I could sew loops on myself. My biggest question is if the sewn loops are necessary or just preference?
    Preference. I use Jacks R Better straps with their tri-glides. To each their own...

Hammock
    WBBW 1.1 Double, ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, ENO
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Rather than 'biners, I use soft shackles to make my connections. Super light and plenty strong. And I make all my soft shackles with a little line embedded inside the bury to make opening them easy - even with cold fingers.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Thanks, Rock. I guess the main issue is that I already ordered the straps and have them. I have a friend with a sewing machine, so I could sew loops on myself. My biggest question is if the sewn loops are necessary or just preference?

+++ Per the previous answers. You have to find what works for you personally. I just happen to like a single strap and biner combo. Loops on the strap make it easy for me to "rope" the tree and "cinch" it down. I have used my climbing runners made from Spectra for my "straps" in a pinch (girth hitched). But they limit the size trees that can be used and I hate to get pitch from a tree on that stuff.

You will find that you will want to try other ways of doing this "hammock thing" and therefore, you will become a gear junkie like the rest of us.

Recommend you not try sewing your own loops unless you understand the requirements for safety in making rigging items. Type of thread, size of machine and needles, style of sewing pattern are all important things to know to make a safe and secure stitch in webbing materials. If you go this route, suggest you take a detailed look at some climbing items that are sewn, like runners and quickdraws. You would need to be able to make your end product similar to those.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cpresoz View Post
    I use Dutch Clips because they're a little more convenient than feeding through the loop, seems to make it easier to fling the strap around trees and it was the first piece of Dutch gear I bought and I just love Dutch gear.
    +1 on all counts! LOL

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    I am in the middle of buying my own new suspension (i.e Whoopies) I would not feed the rope through the webbing because of friction. I am saving up for some dutch clips and other stuff and let me tell you they dutch has a pretty big fan base on this fourm and that is for a good reason because his stuff makes us happy.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast