DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Speed and ease with hangin my hammock. Also, they create a handy hitch point for other things, like my bug net, hangin my pack so it's under my tarp and off the ground, hanging my shoes, etc.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I'm late to this post but I've yet to see anyone do what I do and I don't think I've read of anyone doing it...although its nothing TOO special anyways, I do really like using the carabiner to swing around larger trees, but I then run the webbing through itself. Then rather than using toggles (they've ended me up on the ground a few times) I do the marlin spike hitch with the carabiner and just snap in my suspension for worry free hanging
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonepile View Post
    I'm new to hanging and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do things. One thing I don't understand when looking at videos and demos is why people use a biner on the loop of tree straps. Why can't I just feed the standing end of the strap thru the end loop to secure the strap around the tree?
    Depends on your suspension. I use a ring buckle suspension, and it is much easier to use a carabiner than run the loop through. I can leave my straps in my rings, and just clip the carabiner.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I'm late to this post but I've yet to see anyone do what I do and I don't think I've read of anyone doing it...although its nothing TOO special anyways, I do really like using the carabiner to swing around larger trees, but I then run the webbing through itself. Then rather than using toggles (they've ended me up on the ground a few times) I do the marlin spike hitch with the carabiner and just snap in my suspension for worry free hanging
    I do the same thing double overhand to form a loop that I pass the other end through, then Marlin hitch with biner in place of spike/ toggle.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    webbing/ring bckls
    Thanks for all the information and ideas everyone! I will have to get hanging and see what I think!!

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    webbing/ring bckls
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    You will find that you will want to try other ways of doing this "hammock thing" and therefore, you will become a gear junkie like the rest of us.

Recommend you not try sewing your own loops unless you understand the requirements for safety in making rigging items. Type of thread, size of machine and needles, style of sewing pattern are all important things to know to make a safe and secure stitch in webbing materials. If you go this route, suggest you take a detailed look at some climbing items that are sewn, like runners and quickdraws. You would need to be able to make your end product similar to those.
    Thanks again, Rock! I could definitely see myself as a future gear junkie! And I will definitely hold off on the sewing for a while. I guess as someone previously mentioned, if I am going to use a knot to create the loop I should check the webbing frequently for wear?
    Last edited by ajenness3; 09-11-2012 at 01:41. Reason: Meant to mention something else!
    with You, I am nothing

Hammock
    WBBW 1.1 Double, ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, ENO
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    Love this! Particularly like the notion of using the carabiner as a weight to throw around the tree, then re-purpose as a marlin spike. Genius!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234