Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Bridge hammock prototype

This is my first Bridge hammock prototype. The PVC spreaders (all I had on hand) weren't nearly strong enough for me but worked nicely for my 7 year old.

This was made using Muletape (thanks johnsawyer) and Walmart cheapo polyester.

Is it true that with a Bridge you need a much more "straight line" hang (as opposed to the 30 degree hang for gathered end hammocks)?

Anyway, I'll be getting some dowels for testing. I welcome any feedback you guys care to give.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347114407.820816.jpg

Matt

Hammock
    TW Camo Hornet Super XL
    Tarp
    "DIY" Frankentarp
    Insulation
    Exped DM 7 LW
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have a Eureka Chrysalis (among other hammocks), and the suspension has to be pretty much straight when setting it up. Of course it sags a lot more when getting in, compared to a gathered end hanging in 30 degrees, and from what I understand that creates much more stress on the suspension aswell. I think I saw some charts on angle vs weight/stress on each end, cant seem to find them though.
    And if I may suggest, add a ridgeline. I tried without and never got the same hang from one time to another.

Cheers / Mix
    Last edited by SwedeMix; 09-08-2012 at 12:11. Reason: Spelling, I'm swedish..

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Grizzly Adams has a video about bridge suspension. Go to his profile and look through the threads he created and I think you will find your answer.

Good looking bridge. Have fun figuring out the width of your bars. I made my father a bridge and he wanted the bars to be wider. He bought wooden dowels and experimented with the width. Start wide so you can see what works best for you. Just make sure to adjust the suspension triangles so the forces are distributed correctly.

Images
    I've watched a lot of grizz vids. Wasn't sure how to size the two legs of the suspension triangle, and how to minimize that stress. I'm using amsteel so I'm not terribly worried. I do plan for a ridgeline it need to figure out what length will work best. Are there any rules of thumb similar to the 83% rule for standard hammocks?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    I've watched a lot of grizz vids. Wasn't sure how to size the two legs of the suspension triangle, and how to minimize that stress. I'm using amsteel so I'm not terribly worried. I do plan for a ridgeline it need to figure out what length will work best. Are there any rules of thumb similar to the 83% rule for standard hammocks?
    A ridgeline isn't really needed for a bridge hammock, at least not a structural one. The unscientific method for determining ridgeline length is to hang the bridge hammock and adjust until comforatable. Then get out and run a line from apex to apex of the suspension triangles. In most cases a ridgeline in a bridge is most used to hold up a bugnet, or to hang things off. Ie. a moisture bib in cold weather.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    TW Camo Hornet Super XL
    Tarp
    "DIY" Frankentarp
    Insulation
    Exped DM 7 LW
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    A ridgeline isn't really needed for a bridge hammock, at least not a structural one. The unscientific method for determining ridgeline length is to hang the bridge hammock and adjust until comforatable. Then get out and run a line from apex to apex of the suspension triangles. In most cases a ridgeline in a bridge is most used to hold up a bugnet, or to hang things off. Ie. a moisture bib in cold weather.

Cheers

Brian
    I don't completely agree with that. I found that the ridgeline was actually really important, maybe not needed, but just a few cm's change in RL length made a world of difference in how flat i laid - IE how comfortable I was. I prefer as flat as i can get by the way.
    I did go about it the unscientific way though. Changed out the original webbing and kept adjusting until I felt comfortable enough, vs the tippiness (is that really a word..?) that comes with being closer to the suspension points.
    But maybe the Chrysalis is different from the others, JRB, Grizz bridge etc? Haven't tried any of them, so this is my only bridge experience!

But the moisture bib is something really interesting, don't want to threadjack so if you'd like to, could you please point me in the right direction? Been searching, but I can't find anything written about it.

Thanks / Mix

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    The stress to be concerned with is on the poles, not the suspension line.
    Rule of thumb--if the spreader bar is N inches long, make each side of the suspension triangle 0.75*N inches long, or longer. The longer they are, the less compression force on the poles.

My hammocks typically have 36" spreader bars, and the sides of the suspension triangles are 29-30". 27" would be an acceptable minimum for the Easton aluminum poles I use, but when I swap in hiking poles I want to give them less stress. Cheap insurance.
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 09-08-2012 at 21:16.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    In my experience keep a reasonable angle but hang the foot end a little lower. This will help with getting the feeling of a "flat" lay. Your torso weight is more in the head half of the hammock and tends to pull that end lower when occupied.

I have never used a RL mainly because my bug nets did not require one.

BTW your pic is a good example of this

Images
    Perfect! Thanks Grizz. By the way, your videos are great, made my little project easy

Images
    So I picked up some poplar dowels, 3/4". Couldn't find oak long enough. Tried a hang and CRACK!! They were straight-grained. The sides of my suspension triangles are 26". I weigh 200lbs. What kind of dowels will be strong enough? Should I lengthen the suspension triangle?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast