Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

Alpaca fleece thermal capacity question

I just acquired a bunch of raw alpaca fleece, freshly cut and still has to be cleaned and carded, and was wondering if anyone on the forum knew if there has been any research on how much warmth 1 oz of alpaca fur will retain, or what ever the weight measurement the test used? I can only find that it is warmer than wool but beyond that to get a exact measurement I have not found a thing.

I plan on making an Underquilt that will get me into the low 30's. I'm excited because alpaca is a really good fiber, I don't own an UQ, and the fleece was free! I read there was one other person on the forum that tried using alpaca and was not happy in the end, but I'll learn from that post and try and not do the same.
    Last edited by Paprika bohlmann; 09-08-2012 at 12:30.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    WOW, lucky you. I love Alpaca fleece, I am not sure of the numbers, I will let someone else answer that question. Lots of different ways you could go to make full use of your fleece. I wish someone would give me a load of fleece, I just love handling it. I keep thinking if I move out of town I will have a pair of Alpaca grazing nearby, I really like them and their coats!

No idea of warmth/weight ratio of Alpaca, but my Alpaca sweater is unquestionably the warmest sweater I own, by a good margin. E.T.

Hammock
    Danger bird
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    Incubator /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    I'm not sure sure about warmth to weight ratio but I do know all natural furs beat most of hour synthetics any day of the week. If it were combed out and set I would give it a ripstop backing and keep the ripstop on the outside of the uq and it will prolly trap some serious heat.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by saniun View Post
    I'm not sure sure about warmth to weight ratio but I do know all natural furs beat most of hour synthetics any day of the week. If it were combed out and set I would give it a ripstop backing and keep the ripstop on the outside of the uq and it will prolly trap some serious heat.
    Saniun, what do you mean by set? I know what cording (combing) but I'm unfamiliar with anything beyond that. I was going to treat it like down and make a baffled UQ.

Hammock
    assorted Hennesy Hammocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika bohlmann View Post
    Saniun, what do you mean by set? I know what cording (combing) but I'm unfamiliar with anything beyond that. I was going to treat it like down and make a baffled UQ.
    Carding and combing arn't actually the same thing. Carding creates fibers facing every which way into a nice batt like one would use for quilting. Combing allins all the fibers and pulls out the shorter ones

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigevilgrape View Post
    Carding and combing arn't actually the same thing. Carding creates fibers facing every which way into a nice batt like one would use for quilting. Combing allins all the fibers and pulls out the shorter ones
    Thanks for informing me of the difference.

• + New Posts