Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I used the Nest outside of the HH Undercover (without the Underpad) one time. It worked and the temps didn't get below 40. But it still bears further testing. If you do let us know how it goes.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    I've installed the nest and put a few pictures up in the underquilt gallery.

I'll probably test again tonight, but temps are only supposed to get down to about 19 degrees.

Should I try no pads and rely only on the Nest with my two quilts on top system? Or is 20 degrees ambient asking too much of the Nest underquilt?

Jeff

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skeenut View Post

I'll probably test again tonight, but temps are only supposed to get down to about 19 degrees.

Should I try no pads and rely only on the Nest with my two quilts on top system? Or is 20 degrees ambient asking too much of the Nest underquilt?

Jeff
    You can probably do the Nest alone if you're a warm sleeper - at least from others' reports. Since you can bail to the house (or retrieve a pad fairly easily) I'd at least try it - get an idea of what its personal limits are for you.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skeenut View Post

Jeff
    Only 19 degrees? No wonder people think we're crazy.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    The nest under the hhss will get you to the upper single digets. The NEST has to go under the ss for the best results.

Images
    I need some help/advice with what I'm certain are installation/fitment issues and my Nest. From all reports I should be able to be quite comfortable with the JRB Nest underquilt at temps into the teens. Last night was about 20 or so and was my inaugural voyage with the Nest in my HH Asym ULB. It was also the first time I ventured out for without a pad. I was fine on top with my two bag faux quilt system, but my backside got quite cool. Cool enough that I called it quits after about four hours.
    I'm sure I need to adjust how the Nest is hanging under the hammock. That's where I need the help; I need some visual clues. Suggestions such as, "Put your hand under the hammock between it and the nest. There should be about a one inch gap (or three, or no gap) between it and the hammock to allow for stretching etc," are most helpful to my limited brain.
    I didn't use the SS at all. I might try that between the hammock and the Nest.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'll let the Jacks handle this one as a final word, but with my Rag Mtn. I found that I needed to JUST be able to feel the TOP of the lofted "poofy" sections between the baffles when I stuck my hand between the hammock and quilt. I think this insures no compression. It's a bit different than a synthetic, because the down is so easily compressible.

I don't know that you have much of an issue there, though - many people say that 2" loft (like the Nest) only gets them down to around 30*.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Miguel:Postscript to the above post!

If you look closely my answers are within the quote. I didn't think it would come out looking like that. Apparently I'm just not that computer literate. I thought your print and mine would appear differently.
    Thanks for the PS! I had missed your responses because I just thought it was an erroneous double post my TeeDee.

How do you repeatedly take short quotes from one post and have them appear seperately from your answer?

Miguel
    I just hit the quote button, then I get rid of the "quote" formatting at the beginning and end of the quote. Then I go thru each section I want to respond to in order, select it with the mouse, and click the little yellow symbol just above the text, to the left of the # symbol, that says, when you hold your mouse cursor(pointer) over it: "wrap quote tags around selecte text". And I select and delete what I don't want to respond to as I go.

I'm sure there is an easier way, but this works for me.

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt(s)
    Images

Limits of the JRB Nest Under Quilt

Skeenut,

First of all, Blackbishop is correct. The Nest is advertised as a 3 season quilt. Most people can use it by itself into the low 30s. There have been reports from people who needed additional insulation in the 40s (personally, I think these are installation issues) and there are reports from some people who have successfully ventured into the teens (I think there was generally some form of augmentation (pads) used in these cases). Bottom line - you were probably beyond the quilt's capability at 20 degrees.

Blackbishop is also correct about checking correct installation. With the hammock empty, when you stick your hand between the hammock and UQ there should be the slightest gap. With your palm lightly touching the hammock your knuckles should be brushing the UQ. The absolute best method to check installation is with two people. Put one in the hammock while the other checks the loft of the quilt and adjusts suspension cord until the quilt is just barely touching the hammock and is fully lofting below.

Images
    If it helps, when I think that I am going to need extra insulation I put my ccp on the ground next to me. It does not take long for me to grab it and put it in my hammock with me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast