Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I usually cant wait to get up when sleeping in a bed or on the ground. My hammock on the other hand.... Lets just say when in base camp, on a canoe trip, I have missed first light fishing EVERY morning since I started hammock camping!
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Moded Guide Gear
    Insulation
    HG Incu 0 degree
    Suspension
    Straps, rings
    Images
    I sleep in a hammock every night, if I sleep in a bed I wake up tired with back pain. When I sleep in a hammock I wake up almost always an hour before my alarm goes off, well rested and no back pain. I worked for a long time to find "perfect comfy" in a bed, in a hammock, as soon as I lay down . . . boom . . perfect comfy.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Happens to me all the time, but I think it has more to do with your body needing the sleep. But to be clear, I sleep a whole lot better in my hammock than on the ground. I remember on one hike, one of our hikers decided to take a nap. She woke up about 7:00 or 8:00 pm and started to pack up all her stuff. When we asked her why she was packing up, she asked us why we weren't packing up. She thought it was morning and time to leave!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    As a full-time hanger I can also attest to the difference in sleep. I have knee hyperextension issues. Anytime they go past straight I get pretty irritating pain in my knees. Why am I saying this you ask? In a bed, and it doesnt matter what kind, my knees hyper extend mostly due to the fact that I'm tall and my feet hang off the bed. This causes the common tossing and turning that most people experience when sleeping in a bed. In a hammock i have a few positions, of which i do not have to move from, that I can sleep in allowing me to rest better.

Who needs to pay $5000 for a bed when you can pay $10 and have twice as good of sleep?
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    It's not your imagination. You really do sleep better and deeper in a hammock. Read THIS from National Public Radio about a year ago.

<----- Smily sleeping in his hammock
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Thumbs up

Thanks pips, that's a great defense for us full-timers. People look at me funny when I tell them I sleep in one all night every night...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    It's not your imagination. You really do sleep better and deeper in a hammock. Read THIS from National Public Radio about a year ago.

<----- Smily sleeping in his hammock
    You think the Mrs. will notice if I put whoopies on the king size mattress?

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeedrinker View Post
    Hello Everyone,

To-day I went for a workout, then had lunch with a friend, and when I got home I decided to have a quick nap in my BB before resuming my day. I went into the hammock at 10 minutes to 4, and when I woke, it was 5:30. I have no recollection of falling asleep...only waking up. An hour and a half where time just seem to disappear...

And this sense of time disappearing happens quite often when I sleep in my hammock but doesn't happen when I sleep in my bed!

Is the quality of sleep in a hammock different from the sleep that we get in a bed, or lying on the ground in a you-know-what?

Has anyone else experienced this dramatic difference?

Thanks,

Coffeedrinker
    What you experienced is what got into hanging.
    For Fathersday Brooke got me a GT. I put it up in the back yard and got in. Like you about two hours later I woke up and got out.
    The sleep quality is better for me. I also love that it gives me something to play with.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I always wonder the same thing! Sometimes I get in my hammock for the night and struggle for get comfortable for about 10 minutes. All of a sudden I wake up 9 hours later and notice I havnen't moved an inch all night; I'm in the exact same position. It's a 9 hour hammock-induced coma

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    As of first try at napping in big brazilian hammock myself for 20 minutes 4 years ago and of course not remembered to put an alarm to go of after time is up ended in hammock coma all the way to the next morning and woke exactly in the same position and I had been surprised how different sleep I got.
    As soon got rid of the bed afterwards and decided to hang sleeping.
    Somewhere reading on the net that those hammocks can wreck full time sleepers back but I do not have any problems at all and I love how hammock supports my back.
    Also I'm an confirmed side sleeper on the beds but in hammock ended sleeping on my back comfortably=nice change.
    Hammock sure gives different but much better nights sleep.
    My workmates also trying to get me back to sleeping on the bed, they think that I'll wreck my back 100% but telling to collegues that sleeping on big ole hammock full time 4 years and feel more rested than stressed.
    Also funny thing having on android stress checker program and I rarely get stress score over 10%, record 16% after hard work and full out competitio. after work but traditionally getting 1 to 2% reading thats program states I'm in calm and stability.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast