Tarp
    HG CF w/doors
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0'
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothman View Post
    I don't quite understand the naysayers...
    I think it's physics which is the naysayer here, but by all means, rare earth magnets are fun (though still operating within the rules of physics).

On a side note, I think this tread is quickly heading towards off-topic forum...
    "Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses." - Arthur C. Clarke

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    This is not a new technology. If you have 2 old hard drives and a 120mm computer fan, you can create quite a breeze with no batteries. Simple physics that works and works quite well. No more hot nights in the hammock - just hang the fan from your ridge line with a piece of wire near the foot end.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

re

So who has made one already?

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Your avatar is fitting for the discussion.

I don't quite understand the naysayers.... People have been making magnet motors for a years now. Look into it a bit before slamming it. I may give this a shot if I can score some rare earth magnets.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I don't quite understand the naysayers.... People have been making magnet motors for a years now. Look into it a bit before slamming it. I may give this a shot if I can score some rare earth magnets.
    Yeah this is nothing new. We did it in my electronics class but we used Electromagnets instead of Rare Earth magnets. Same principle, aside from the fact that it takes electricity to power Electromagnets. You can generate a small amount of voltage from something like this but it is not enough to be something significant for solving the free energy quest. To make this into something large scale will not work because of basic physics. Friction is mother natures way of keeping things from being too simple to solve. But this would still be a great way to power a small fan. Something one should consider though is even with the electromagnets, the fan would randomly stop on its own from time to time when the RPM got out of whack. Not sure if this would still be a problem with magnets. Ill build one and find out. Already got 2 magnets out of an old hard drive sitting in my drawer. Gotta find 2 more.

Hammock
    hammaka, diy tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    web
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    This is not a new technology. If you have 2 old hard drives and a 120mm computer fan, you can create quite a breeze with no batteries. Simple physics that works and works quite well. No more hot nights in the hammock - just hang the fan from your ridge line with a piece of wire near the foot end.

thats all i was trying to get at when i started this thread.
    you cant please everyone, so ya got to please yourself. - ricky nelson

HYOH

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sorry guys. The trick to a magnetic based motor is that the rotor (moving part) has a series of magnets that alternate n-s-n-s-n-s, the coils are activated differentially to pull or repulse the fixed magnets, which rotate, and then activates a switch (in the case of computer fans, a hall-effect sensor) which switches the polarity of the electromagnets, causing the rotor to move again, which activates a switch, which reverses the polarity, lather, rinse, repeat.

I can stack magnets all day long, and nothing will happen... except the North facing magnets in the rotor will align with the south facing magnets.

There's this funny law of thermodynamics: You can't get something from nothing. http://www.physicsplanet.com/article...thermodynamics

In the case of the fan, the video poster has not only created a "perpetual motion machine" but a way to create energy from nothing...(yes, it takes energy to move air) If that were the case, I'd stack a HUGE array of magnets and drive my car, or better yet, power a generator and sell electricity for less than San Diego Gas and Electric, Convert EVERYTHING I own to electric motors, and RULE THE WORLD... Heck, the world as we know it would be very different, and yes, Nikola Tesla would have been richer than John D. Rockefeller.

But alas, I toil like the rest of you... for energy does not come from nothing. That said, gigawatts of power is pumped int the air in the form of radio waves every day. Unfortunately, we can't get that power back, except in nanowatts. (wireless power transmission, what Nikola was dreaming of is grossly inefficient, but I digress)

I'll eat my words if anybody can send me a working model that I can disassemble, and independently verify... oh, I'll send you $110 paypal, too. Then we'll go into buiness and make bazillions of dollars manufacturing fans that move air for free.

There... I said it. Sorry if this offends anybody.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I love that...an offer of independent testing. I, too, will volunteer to independently test and post video results for anybody who has made a "free energy" fan by this method. Like JohnSawyer said, not trying to offend anybody. I would love to see how to make this work, but don't see it being viable.

Hammock
    DIY "Dirty Bridge"
    Tarp
    DIY "Snow Camel"
    Insulation
    DIY "Dirty Quilt"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post

There's this funny law of thermodynamics: You can't get something from nothing. http://www.physicsplanet.com/article...thermodynamics
    The energy comes from the magnets, it is not free energy. Permanent magnet motors will de-magnetize the magnets after a while of use. It takes energy to make magnets. There are plenty of examples of working permanent magnet motors out there. The video posted is not the sole example of a CPU fan being run by magnets though. There are quite a few videos of the same concept in work. Does that prove it? No, one would have to whitness it first hand. If I could just get my hands on some magnets, I would give it a shot. I'm a hands on see it to believe it kinda guy. It seems that nobody likes to ship magnets to APO addresses, I'll have to search a little harder I guess.

Nikola Tesla by all rights should have been richer than Rockefeller. Without his work the world would be a much different place. He is given too little credit and too often forgotten. Edison's smear campaign is still lingering today. Tesla is one of my heros.

BTW, no offense taken here at all. All offerings of critical thinking are welcome. Second guessing and input only improve design theory.
    If at first you don't succeed...
    You're doing it wrong

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Well, I have some hard drive magnets at the house, which is what it appears was used in the video. I also have several rare earth magnets. Now, if I can find an old PC case fan, I will give this a test run.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast