Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    OK, here you go guys...this SHOULD (and i stress should, because there are always those who try fly in the face of reason) end all discussion as to whether or not this is possible.

First of all, magnetic fields are not a kinetic (active) energy source. Magnets can, however, be a potential (passive) energy source. What this means is that it's impossible for a magnet to move an object without interference from an outside energy source:
    For a magnet to apply force to an object it requires kinetic energy to move the object (or magnet) into the magnetic field. This builds up potential energy, which is again released as kinetic energy when the external force is removed...so the hand in the video is the external force...it spins the fan...the fan can only spin for as long as the hand's force allows it to...that is, until friction brings it to a halt.

Electro magnets require electricity to apply force and regular magnets require a object to move into it's field to apply force on it (in which case, the 2nd object is the source of energy)

...what is being suggested in the video and by some here, is that a magnet can create kinetic energy on it's own...according to our current understanding of physics (specifically, Netwon's Laws of Motion) this is not possible...especially when this specific situation implies that the fan is working against friction (moving the air).

Magnetic fields can sustain a state (floating...etc) but cannot change it without an external force (physical or electricity).

That said, I'll still play around with it because I find this stuff fun to play around with and I know I have at least fan with a burned out motor laying around...but I understand physics and electronics well enough to know that this isn't going to work as described.

The magnets will not demagnetize as though the magnetism is being used up to power the fan.

Hammock
    hammaka, diy tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    web
    i never ment for this thread to get like this. all i was trying to say is that a cpu fan would be a good way to stir a little air inside a bugnet, i dont know if the magnets or not. but even if you have to use a 9 volt. to run it i think it will do better than the lil off fan because it uses up 2 aaa's overnite.
    you cant please everyone, so ya got to please yourself. - ricky nelson

HYOH

Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyrat View Post
    i never ment for this thread to get like this. all i was trying to say is that a cpu fan would be a good way to stir a little air inside a bugnet, i dont know if the magnets or not. but even if you have to use a 9 volt. to run it i think it will do better than the lil off fan because it uses up 2 aaa's overnite.
    Hey, it was done with good intentions and for what it's worth, I'll now be attempting to make something like this myself (just not with magnets of course)...probably powered by a solar panel/trickle charger or something along those lines.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Seriously people...this does not work...IMG_2996 (Medium).JPG

A computer fan does work well when combined with a 9v battery.

However, I do still have those bridges available if anyone would like a money making opportunity.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I personally love the DIY process and the creativeness that goes into creating gear. I appreciate the OP bringing something to the table that looked new/exciting. Please don't be discouraged by the responses...like I said, I appreciate anything brought to us in this forum.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    So I asked my Professor who has a PHD in Electrical Engineering about the magnet fan and he said it is possible. He said when he was younger he was trying to make one but couldnt get the correct amount of magnets positioned just right to make it work for more than a few Revolutions. He then directed me to check out Muammer Yildiz and watch a video on his recent invention. He said that Yildiz has several patents on the new invention and has proven his invention valid in the Scientific community. It is possible to get free energy according to Yildiz invention. You still have to replace the magnets every 20-30 years and the barrings wear out after few years but other than that, the energy is free.
    Many people dismissed this invention as a spoof until he tore the machine apart in front of them and proved that it is valid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHW6b1aFPfU

Edit: As for the first video posted. I am guessing that it is fake. But the theory seems to be proven true by Yildiz.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123