Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Moving backwards...

So I've been in and out of here for a few years, but hanging all the while. In and out of the country for work, working like a dog while in country, neither which are conducive to hiking for long periods. So over the last year or so I have really begun to trim my 'stuff'; and it seems I am getting back to more of the basic set up. Since I live in three seasons (no real Winter to speak of) I am able to do this and still keep my whole kit intact.

Sportsma'n Guide Tarp: Even tho I have modified it and turned it into a Cat cut Hex, this thing is still WAAAAAAY too big. At first I liked all the extra room and protection, but now that time is so valuable, trying to find a suitable place to set up has pushed the size offset way over the edge. It's just too big. I thought about cutting it down, but then I would be right back at the same dimensions as my other tarps, and they are much lighter material to begin with. So I am back to the 11' X 10' Hex Cat cut tarp.

Hammock: Still with the Speer DIY, nothing fancy there. The HH clone is comfy, but the DIY Speer is also as well as the ENO Double. I usually pick which one I like based on the color, Desert Camo, Woodland Camo or Bright Yellow/Blue. I treat all of hammocks with Permethrine so I don't need bugnets, but the gear hammock/pack cover/water collecter goes on every trip. I also have adopted the ring buckles, very nice.

Insulation, CCF Pads: Probably my weakest area, they just take up SOOOO much room in the pack. But with the SPE they rock in the hammock, are light and cheap. I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on those down JRB under/over quilts (even though I want some VERY badly).

Guide Gear Sleeping Bag: Synthetic on bottom good down on top, rated to 15 degrees, it's perfect.

Stove: Freezer bag cooking and alcohol stoves were Divinely inspired to go together. I am now using the Hybrid Side Burner Pressurized Version.

Mountain Hardwear Maestro Backpack: My biggest purchase recently, and while it is a bit heavy for the lightnics, I LOVE it! Many of my trips involve carrying more than my fair share of gear, and this pack carries the weight like an external frame but handles like an internal frame.

Cordage: I have tried many of the high-tec synthetics and I keep going back to 550 cord. I found for me that it has many more uses than other types of cord, has never failed me and is dirt cheap.

So, I will keep experimenting with the DIY projects as I have the time, and all my tinkering/building hasn't been wasted, I think I have come to the realization that less is more right now for me. It sure was nice to be able to do 21+- miles yesterday and not feel like it today!

Besides, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey! I love my hammocks.

I start a new job soon, so time may be more of a premium. I hope not, I need some time in the woods!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Always good to hear from you my friend.
    I've not been able to get out much this year either, but still hoping to do at least a couple week end trips this fall/winter.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I like see summaries like this that show what works out for someone over a period of time and experimentation.
    Did I see ring buckles in there, by an established knot elitist!?
    Permithrin works well at protecting the underside, but how do you protect your face,arms, etc. without a bugnet?
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    Insulation, CCF Pads: Probably my weakest area, they just take up SOOOO much room in the pack. But with the SPE they rock in the hammock, are light and cheap. I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on those down JRB under/over quilts (even though I want some VERY badly).
    Since you say you have been away for a while, I don't know if you are aware of the work that Warbonnet has done in underquilt design. I just bought one and I think it is a much more sensible approach than the JRB underquilts (much cheaper as well). And, BTW, my opinion is that JRB makes great products at a very good value. I own four of their quilts, but don't use any of them for underquilts.

I am a fan of inflated pads for use in a bridge style hammock, but they tend to slide around to much in more conventional hammock designs (even double layered ones). In my hiking locations, I like to keep my options open for going to ground. The comfort of an inflated pad is a plus in these situations.

But back to the Warbonnet product, this is a brilliant redesign of an underquilt. The word is, production has been temporarily suspended while a new synthetic insulation solution is being sought after. But I regard this product as a real breakthrough and hope that production resumes very soon. See this thread for ordering information: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=5648 and/or have a look in Warbonnetguy's gallery http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&imageuser=479

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    So I've been in and out of here for a few years, but hanging all the while. In and out of the country for work, working like a dog while in country, neither which are conducive to hiking for long periods. So over the last year or so I have really begun to trim my 'stuff'; and it seems I am getting back to more of the basic set up. Since I live in three seasons (no real Winter to speak of) I am able to do this and still keep my whole kit intact.

Sportsma'n Guide Tarp: Even tho I have modified it and turned it into a Cat cut Hex, this thing is still WAAAAAAY too big. At first I liked all the extra room and protection, but now that time is so valuable, trying to find a suitable place to set up has pushed the size offset way over the edge. It's just too big. I thought about cutting it down, but then I would be right back at the same dimensions as my other tarps, and they are much lighter material to begin with. So I am back to the 11' X 10' Hex Cat cut tarp.

Hammock: Still with the Speer DIY, nothing fancy there. The HH clone is comfy, but the DIY Speer is also as well as the ENO Double. I usually pick which one I like based on the color, Desert Camo, Woodland Camo or Bright Yellow/Blue. I treat all of hammocks with Permethrine so I don't need bugnets, but the gear hammock/pack cover/water collecter goes on every trip. I also have adopted the ring buckles, very nice.

Guide Gear Sleeping Bag: Synthetic on bottom good down on top, rated to 15 degrees, it's perfect.

Stove: Freezer bag cooking and alcohol stoves were Divinely inspired to go together. I am now using the Hybrid Side Burner Pressurized Version.

Mountain Hardwear Maestro Backpack: My biggest purchase recently, and while it is a bit heavy for the lightnics, I LOVE it! Many of my trips involve carrying more than my fair share of gear, and this pack carries the weight like an external frame but handles like an internal frame.

Cordage: I have tried many of the high-tec synthetics and I keep going back to 550 cord. I found for me that it has many more uses than other types of cord, has never failed me and is dirt cheap.

So, I will keep experimenting with the DIY projects as I have the time, and all my tinkering/building hasn't been wasted, I think I have come to the realization that less is more right now for me. It sure was nice to be able to do 21+- miles yesterday and not feel like it today!

Besides, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey! I love my hammocks.

I start a new job soon, so time may be more of a premium. I hope not, I need some time in the woods!
    Hogn8r,

There are now buy on time plans for two models of JRB quilt as a test during the annual accessory sale....no interest and your quilt ships with the first payment, not the last.

Also FWIW, some great prioces on all the accessories for example 11x10 Cat Tarps under $100.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Did I see ring buckles in there, by an established knot elitist!?
    ELITIST???!!! I know I know, you don't really need them, they add weight, knots are just as good...but, I hafta say that the ring buckles are pure gold for hammock suspension! I love them, easy to adjust, act as drip lines...anyway, they rock. But if they fail I will hafta use a good knot to get me back to hangin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Permithrin works well at protecting the underside, but how do you protect your face,arms, etc. without a bugnet?
    I soak my hammock in the Permethrine solution and I think that helps keep them away from me altogether. We talked about this in a thread sometime ago. I have also started using the Lemon Eucalyptus bug repellent when I need it, very effective and has a nice Lemony scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pan
    There are now buy on time plans for two models of JRB quilt as a test during the annual accessory sale....no interest and your quilt ships with the first payment, not the last.

Also FWIW, some great prioces on all the accessories for example 11x10 Cat Tarps under $100.

Pan
    7hanks for the heads up Pan, I may need to become a Beta tester for your layaway program!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cool to see what you are STILL using!
    Yeah, get to the woods. Just go man go!
    Good luck with all that.....
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post

Revisiting this thread; it is interesting for me to see what I have changed and why I have been so hard headed about some of it!

JRB 10 x 11 tarp The Ultimate tarp for me, so far. I really haven't found anything I don't like about this tarp. It is smaller than the SG tarp above, lighter, more tie out points; just an all around great tarp.

Hammock No changes, still using the same hammocks. Really thinking on a Warbonnet tho. Wildman just got one and I will have the chance to lie in his so we will see soon enough. Have since switched to Whoopies for suspension as well.

Bottom Insulation Finally made the switch to an underquilt; Molly Mac Gear IX Universal. Could not be happier!

Top Quilt Same 15 degree SG bag, still going strong.

Stove same stoves, alcy and my Whisperlite; although I have updated the rest of the kitchen to the MSR Micro-Dualist.

Backpack The Maestro hangs unused in my gear room now that I have the Molly MacPack. The MMP is the best pack I have ever owned for my needs. It suites my style and philosophy perfectly.

Cordage Still carry several hanks of 550 cord, but I also carry a length of Dynaglide as well.

The new job I mentioned in the original post above is still going very well; I am fortunate that I get to do everyday something that I truly love. I have also had the time to get out more; Gage and I, along with my brother and a few other friends, have been able to log many nights hanging, have made a couple of Texas Hangs and introduced at least three new hangers in the last two years.

I wish everyone the very best in '11!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks. Good to hear the positive report.
    And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that can be hard headed
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good stuff, Rat...and the best part is how often you're using it!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast