HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS

HOG guys need help/advice

ok i have decided to get a HH but im indecisive i not super tall "6ft" but as most of yall know i am quite a large man "400+lbs" so i have a list of questions that i cant seem to find the answers too.
    1. is the larger hh's explored delux, safari style hammocks single or double layer?
    2. is the body of the hammock a ripstop nylon cause all the site says is 210 D oxford nylon and that worries me as far as a strength factor as my late wbbb was a 1.7dl and it had no stretch?
    3. i remember hearing from somewhere that the weight limmits come from the suspension and we all know that if we use amsteel whoopies "greatest thing since sliced bread" the weight limmit is a non issue?
    4. another weird thing i noticed in the specs on the explorer delux is 56in wide where as the safari which i hear is "so much bigger" is only 52in wide, is this a misconseption or is this true as far as usable width?
    5. does the fabric of the hh's stretch say like the taffia "parashute fabric used in the grand trunks hammocks fabric", or is it like the ripstop fabric in that there is very little to no stretch?
    6. when your in the safari or the delux how high does the sides come up where the zip entrance is "because on the skeeter beater pro i had came up so far that i had a really hard time getting out of it as i sank really deep into the hammock. but in my late wbbb i could just swing my legs over and stand up" which is what im really looking for"?"
    6. also i have read on here that in the safari "since it is about a foot longer but not as wide" you can get a really flat lay so in the delux can i get the same flat lay?
    7. if the hh's are a single layer are the skeeters able to bite through the fabric?

also if there is anything that im missing please inform me
    thanks
    BT
    also im needing to order this hammock asap for a hang 2 weeks from now so any info asap would be great.
    BT
    "Hang safe and enjoy the outdoors"

http://tqnt.webs.com/
    Turtle Quilts N Tarps
    your home for custom made products

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    If you look at the various websites, very few hammocks are rated to handle 400+ lbs. The Hennessy largest hammock is rated to 350 lbs. The only hammocks I've seen which are rated to 400, not past it, are ENO and the War Bonnet Black Bird in double layer 1.7 oz fabric. I'm guessing you'd be fine for something rated to 400 lbs, they just won't last as long. From your question, it appears you've already ruled out the WBBB, which as far as I can tell, leaves the ENO doublenest (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...OUBLENEST.html)
    As you continue your search, look for the longer models, the short ones will probably not be very comfortable for you.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    actually i had brian make me a 1.7 dl wbbb and i liked it ok, but the calf/ankle presure bothered me and also i have really wide sholders and would run up past the hammock into the netting so i sold it. but it was strong as steel and never even complained about he weight but i switched the suspension and ridgline to amsteel which from what i remember talking to and reading about is where the weight limmit comes into place. as the factory suspension isnt ment to hold that amount of weight, but the fabric had no problem not to mention i dont bounce around in the hammock.
    BT

Turtle Quilts N Tarps

I'm pretty sure it's not the suspension that limits the hammock weight ratings. Climbing ropes can take 1000+ pounds of weight, even the skinny ones.
    Hennessy hammocks don't stretch noticeably at all, at least not under my weight. They certainly stretch a lot less than the parachute nylon that ENO, TTTM and other "beach" hammocks are made of. They are rock solid but I would still be hesitant to take one 100+ pounds over its stated weight limit.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    Well the safari weight limmit is 350 so I'd only be about 60 over but I still understand where your comming from
    BT

Turtle Quilts N Tarps

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I can speak as to the Explorer UL. As an aside, I'm about 6' and range between 185 and 200 lbs depending on my workout and diet for the month (I've been as high as 205 in that hammock before, though).

The Explorer UL (which shares the same dimensions as the Explorer Deluxe) is a very comfortable hammock for me as long as I hang it loosely enough. If I hang it too tightly, I wind up with shoulder squeeze (which may or may not be an issue for you, depending on how your weight is distributed on your frame). It--as well as the Deluxe and all other Hennessy hammocks, save the Deep Jungle models--is a single-layer. Now, I've never had a bite through that fabric, but it's the high-density-weave 70d (1.9 oz/sq yd if it matches with standard ripstop Denier/weight ratios) taffeta fabric and I treat with permethrin. I don't know if my limited experience without permethrin (I've only gone on two trips without the hammock being treated) is typical or not.

However, that being said, I've heard several stories of folks getting bitten through the Explorer Deluxe fabric (the 210d Oxford cloth, which has a looser weave) without permethrin treatments. With permethrin, I've not heard of anyone being bitten through the fabric, so that might be an answer to that issue for you.

With the lighter hammocks, yes, the suspension is the weak point in Hennessys. However, I don't know for certain about the Safari Deluxe models. According to the Hennessy website, the fabric is the same as the Explorer Deluxe model, which leads me to believe that it would probably hold you (210d Oxford is really strong).

The 2100 lb. test line that it's suspended with would wind up being a 6:1 safety ratio versus the weight rating; that's the same as the ratio for the Ultralight Backpacker, Hyperlight, the Explorer Ultralight, Deep Jungle, Evader Asym, and Survivor Asym models. The Explorer Deluxe has a 9:1 ratio for its suspension, the Scout Classic an 8:1, the Expedition a 6.4:1, and the Survivor Asym Universal has a 7:1 ratio.

So, it would likely hold you. However, I'm not absolutely sure, and Hennessy put those weight ratings on there for a reason. They're probably conservative, in order to avoid litigation, but they most certainly are there for a reason. So, hang at your own risk.

However, if you're looking for a netted hammock that is rated to your weight, it might be worth contacting one of our various cottage vendors and seeing if they're willing to turn one out for you. 300d+ nylon would most definitely hold you, as would a double-layer of 1.7 or heavier.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Contact Capt Smiley and ask him what he uses (he weighs 450 lbs)
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Contact Hennessy directly, and explain your situation to them, as well as your concerns. They may offer a heavier suspension rope and indicate that they feel the hammock is sufficient with that...which you can accept or not, since you're probably opting to go with whoopie slings anyway.

But that should tell you whether they feel the hammock body is sufficient for the load you're suggesting.

As far as I know, the HH Explorer Deluxe and the Safari are both single layer.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTurtle View Post
    Well the safari weight limmit is 350 so I'd only be about 60 over but I still understand where your comming from
    If I were you and happened to like the safari otherwise, I'd just buy it and be done with it. It has the highest weight rating for a reason, and it's close enough to your weight that it's probably not going to be an issue. Just check it regularly for wear/damage, which is a good idea in any case.
    You may want to ask Hennessy if the weight ratings are limited by the suspension or the hammock body to get some clarity on the issue.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    contact Dale at tttg.. i just bought the sw 1.9 dl and i am 350 lbs.. its rated at 385 but after talking with him he has had 400 + in it i believe and for me it is much easier and peace of mind to hang up and hang in.. good luck. I find that I "feel " more secure and have more air flow in the switchback..
    I also own a wbbb 1.7 dl with dutch all in one suspension.. but honestly with my weight and trying not to climb out of a hammock this works better
    Last edited by mountainhanger; 09-10-2012 at 07:14. Reason: add
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast