Images

My first hammock, my last hammock?

In the short amount of time I have been a member of the HF community, it seems like nearly everyday, certainly every week a new user is fretting over making the perfect choice for their first hammock. There are a lot of choices out there from a lot of great companies. I believe they are worrying to much and trying to achieve something they certainly cannot make with their first choice, hammock bliss. I think everyone ends up modifying or even abandoning whatever they first buy and this needs to be made apparent to newbies. Just jump in, have fun, hang out!

So here it is, how many of you are still exclusively using your first hammock the way it arrived?

I started with a ENO DN, mainly because they are everywhere. I bought it before I knew about HF. I have since passed that on to my son, who passed his ENO SN to his sister. They are both hanging in their bedrooms. I have almost certainly found my last hammock, the BIAS WW DL. It hangs on the trail, in my carport and most recently found a spot in the playroom.

Well, maybe not my last...BIAS....

Wes

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    This is so true! I went through a couple of hammocks that I bought and then started making my hammocks. I tried all sorts of wild designs, looking for the hammock bliss. I learned, the wilder the design, the more uncomfortable it was. But, I had fun.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I agree. Too many noobs suffer from analysis paralysis. Just buy something, or make something and get out there and give it a go. Ya wont know what works for you until you try it.
    Last edited by Redoleary; 09-09-2012 at 07:40.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    In the short amount of time I have been a member of the HF community, it seems like nearly everyday, certainly every week a new user is fretting over making the perfect choice for their first hammock. There are a lot of choices out there from a lot of great companies. I believe they are worrying to much and trying to achieve something they certainly cannot make with their first choice, hammock bliss. I think everyone ends up modifying or even abandoning whatever they first buy and this needs to be made apparent to newbies. Just jump in, have fun, hang out!

So here it is, how many of you are still exclusively using your first hammock the way it arrived?

I started with a ENO DN, mainly because they are everywhere. I bought it before I knew about HF. I have since passed that on to my son, who passed his ENO SN to his sister. They are both hanging in their bedrooms. I have almost certainly found my last hammock, the BIAS WW DL. It hangs on the trail, in my carport and most recently found a spot in the playroom.

Well, maybe not my last...BIAS....

Wes
    +100 Swankfly! True words!
    I'm still a newbie; still use my first hammock; and 2nd; and third one too!

IF i could start all over then I'd quit worrying about which is "Best" and just buy one (or make one) - set it up a couple times - then attend the first group hang i could.

I learned more at my 1st group hang than i ever could have by just reading this great forum!

Hammock Forums folks are the best
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I still use and love my Clark Deluxe (2004-pre North American) and still use the original rope suspension. I did change out to a larger tarp. I have bought several other hammocks of different types but still come back to the Clark. My new BIAS WWM dbl will be here in a few days and from what everyone says it may be my last hammock purchase, but you can never have too many hammocks.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    When I first started I could not sleep in a gather end hammock so my first hammock was a bridge. Then I started to train myself to sleep in GE's and now that's all I use. I do mod my setups to a degree, but my hammock choices were initially driven by my ability to sleep or not. Now I use what is needed for a particular trip. Light weight or bugs or Winter or comfort usually determines what comes with me.

S

Hammock
    Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    I have bought several other hammocks of different types but still come back to the Clark.

Me too. I have bought 3 Clarks models, an Exped Scout, and a WBBB,.....but the Clarks Ultralight is still my favorite. It was my first.

• + New Posts