Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Have you considered venting for breathability by layering sil over noseeum in places?

If the sil overlaps the net you can keep the rain out but still let some moisture out. Of course you may lose a little heat. But it's a thought.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Fish,

Are you near Andersen?

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by Davigilante View Post
    Have you considered venting for breathability by layering sil over noseeum in places?

If the sil overlaps the net you can keep the rain out but still let some moisture out. Of course you may lose a little heat. But it's a thought.
    No I have not. It sounds like a good idea for keeping more heat in than my design.

Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    Fish,

Are you near Andersen?
    Bingo. I live and work on this base.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Images
    I like the idea of having everything all together and ready to deploy. I have built my first two DIY hammocks and am working on a winter tarp. Now that I have seen this I am rethinking the development of the second tarp. One of the hammocks is for my 11 year old son. He would be the giney pig on the next boyscout camp out to test the condensation concern....... Thanks for the idea.

Cant wait for some pics

Jeremy

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I'll build a protyotype when i get the time. I have only had one day off in the last month. Pictures will follow afterwards. im gonna try with paper at some point today, to make sure all my dimensions are ok. If someone gets to this before i do, please post in this thread and link to your idea, I want to see what yall come up with.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Did you ever build this, Fish? I'm curious how it turned out.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Dave, I have not had time to build it yet. Between work, duty, and a 16 month old son, I just haven't found the time. When I do finally get the time I wil and will post pics and updates with lessons learned.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

"Flying Fish sock" update

So for all you guys out there who may have been waiting on an update since October here it is:

I have not gone any further with this plan. I can't say it's a total loss, but I have not played with this idea in a while. It's been a long year for me at work, but I did manage a little time to learn how to sew straight(er) lines with my machine by making a tarp and a fronkey bugnet. The bugnet helped me see how fabric makes a 3 dimensional object, and taught me how to use my machine. The tarp really got my lines straighter, and so for that I should be able to start on this without too many worries once the time permits.

I appreciate all who have input, and hope that if people stumble on this before I finalize this design that they can provide some input too. Really I am hoping that medicineman and HNO get a production model before I do this, that way I don't have to worry about a DIY project this mind boggling.

Fish<><

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12