DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/ridgerunner.php

Here you go, I am sorry to hear about your experience, but could it have been first time hanging error? Was your suspension at a 30 degree angle, or could you play music with it? I know some people hang their hammocks guitar string tight and it causes quite a bit of uncomfort. Were you laying at an angle? If it was your legs uncomfortable, a pillow can help straighten them out a bit. If you were using a pad for bottom insulation was it ccf or inflatable?

I do agree that some can't sleep in a hammock, but there might have been something you had not previously been taught that could cause your horrific sounding experience...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    It's a bit of a haul from Utah, but if you can make it, we are planning a "hammock hang" in Colorado, somewhere in the Denver area - basically a big group camp-out where we chat about gear and swap ideas. There will be a number of different hammocks at the hang, and you could try several of them out and see if you like any of them - including the Warbonnet bridge hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=59090

Images
    Hate to hear it, when I sleep in a bed or on the ground, I am all over the place. I sleep on my stomach, side and every which way except on my back. I find that I move SOO MUCH, because I am uncomfortable, developing hot/hard spots on my shoulders, hips, etc. However, that has not hampered my ability to sleep in a hammock.

I do not have any experience with HH yet. I know, having just spent last night in my BIAS WWDL, I slept on my back, my side and the last few hours curled up in the fetal position. It was FREEZING, got down to 60 last night and was just too comfortable to get up and do anything about the cold air, curled up into a ball on my side. Don't want to see you give up on HAMMOCKS, when it might just be THE hammock?

So all you HH guys out there, are you able to sleep in all these different positions?

Thanks for the info, let's try to keep this guy hanging!

(yes, yes....60 degrees is darn near freezing in South LA...)
    Last edited by swankfly; 09-10-2012 at 10:54. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/ridgerunner.php

Here you go, I am sorry to hear about your experience, but could it have been first time hanging error? Was your suspension at a 30 degree angle, or could you play music with it? I know some people hang their hammocks guitar string tight and it causes quite a bit of uncomfort. Were you laying at an angle? If it was your legs uncomfortable, a pillow can help straighten them out a bit. If you were using a pad for bottom insulation was it ccf or inflatable?

I do agree that some can't sleep in a hammock, but there might have been something you had not previously been taught that could cause your horrific sounding experience...
    Easily could have been operator error, it being my first hang, and being solo (took two of the kids out with me - little backpackers). I was using a pad, an Exped Downmat 7 (inflatable). Hang could have been too tight? I was going to take pics and post here, but was so irritated by morning that I had resolved to be done with the experiment - was a little grumpy about it come morning lol.

Will check out those bridge hammocks, as well as those links to making your own. Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I will be safe for my upcoming trip though and carry my Hubba, but perhaps I will not be so hasty as to give up on hanging just yet.

Interested to see if other HH hangers are able to have a variety of positions?

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Hammock sleeping may not be for you or your hammock may just be a poor match for you.
    I am a tosser/turner and a side sleeper. I usually end up on my side with 1 leg pulled up (a 4 position) and find it very comfortable in my BlackBird. I do use a small pillow and notice that if I haven't been able to hang in a while the first night back is not the best sleep but still better than on the ground (for me).
    While it sounds like you will be on the ground for your upcoming trip, you might consider to keep fiddling with hammocks-the perfect partner may be out there for you, just waiting to be discovered.
    And if you haven't noticed, everyone is always welcome here, even if they never get off the ground. Let us know how it goes.
    Enjoy your trip.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by thermocouple View Post
    Easily could have been operator error, it being my first hang, and being solo (took two of the kids out with me - little backpackers). I was using a pad, an Exped Downmat 7 (inflatable). Hang could have been too tight? I was going to take pics and post here, but was so irritated by morning that I had resolved to be done with the experiment - was a little grumpy about it come morning lol.

Will check out those bridge hammocks, as well as those links to making your own. Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I will be safe for my upcoming trip though and carry my Hubba, but perhaps I will not be so hasty as to give up on hanging just yet.

Interested to see if other HH hangers are able to have a variety of positions?
    Well I am glad we can at least convince you to not give up so fast. as long as you are not doing a through hike, add a pound and take that hennessey with you. It'll be something to play with and pass time in the woods, lounge in, and who knows you might figure out how to get comfy.

I highly recommend shug's hammock hangin how to videos on YouTube if you haven't already seen them. Also dejoha has a book "the ultimate hang" (available through amazon) that teaches the basics of hangin. Good luck and keep us posted.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I move from back to side to fetal in a Hennessy. I also very often doze off on my back and wake hours later having never moved. It is a learning curve. Nobody gets it perfect after just one time. Keep learing and try get to a hang. You'll get it if you are open to learning what you could possibly be doing incorrect.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    pad, IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I hung out Saturday night in the woods behind my house. Mostly to test the warbonnet superfly. It poured rain all night long, which we so desperatly needed. I slept on my left side most of the night (on the diag) and loved every moment. Make sure you use a pad. I had a wool blanket under my pad and a light throw over the rest of me. It was 48 degrees when I got up. Felt parfectly warm all night. Like everyone here is saying, find what works for you. The main thing is enjoying the woods and being out there. The superfly worked perfectly and not a drop on me all night. I do need to seal the tie out though.
    Take this soul, stranded in some skin and bones, take this soul and make it sing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Bummer, but it does happen.

I have to agree that using a HH Backpacker for your first experience is not representative of the field. It is a small hammock (relative) and not designed for luxury. Truly, most of the hammocks designed with an emphasis on weight savings are not going to be the best bet for a new hanger IMO. You might consider returning the Backpacker and trading for an Explorer. There will be a weight penalty, to be sure, but the comfort trade-off will be noticeable. I have no problems tossing around in my Explorers and seem to settle back into the sweet-spot pretty easily.

From recent experience, I can say that moving around in the new bridge from Warbonnet is pretty easy and sweet-spots abound. My experiences in other bridge designs weren't much different with regards to freedom of movement. Might be worth a try, but I'd go for the Explorer upgrade first and see what happens. As you say, it's REI so returning won't be an issue if it fails you too.

Hammocks aren't for everyone, but if I would have given up on things I didn't like the first time, I probably still wouldn't be able to ride a bike and I definitely wouldn't be able to sew...not that I like sewing yet.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I might suggest trying one of the really large tablecloth factory hammocks in your backyard a few nights. Larger hammocks offer much greater freedom of movement and the tablecloths are dirt cheap. If nothing else, you end up with a place for your family to relax while at home!

But with what everyone else said, I sleep completely different in my hammock than in a bed or on the ground, but it took a couple nights to get over the habit of sleeping like a tornado.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast