Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    A bridge has spreader bar at each end thus making it flater. Jacks Are better and the just released Warbonnet are two bridge hammocks that are spoken highly of
    It's not the spreader bars that give them the flat lay, it's the cut and side suspension. The hammock is cut and suspended to mimic a suspension bridge, hence the name. If the spreader bar is missing, you'd still have a flat lay, but a lot of shoulder squeeze.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thermocouple View Post
    Spent my first night in a hammock over the weekend. Been backpacking most of my life, I am very comfortable sleeping in the back country. I decided to give the hammock a shot because of the versatility and lighter weight.

Without question it was the worst night of sleep I have ever had in the back country.

I was so interested in making this concept work that I overlooked some fundamental flaws in the idea. I am an active sleeper, and primarily a side sleeper. Evidently there is a very narrow window of "sweet spot" to be comfortable in a hammock, and I cannot abide laying in the same position all night. I cannot sleep in a restrictive mummy bag for this reason either.

In the wee hours of the night, after little sleep, I finally threw in the towel, climbed out, lowered the hammock to the ground, climbed back inside and got the only real sleep I had that night. I only regret that I didnt do this sooner, as the sun rose about an hour later.

Hennessy Hammock A-sym Zip UL Backpacker.

The good news is I bought it from REI, so return will be easy. My hammock experiment was over when it started. Just not for me.

I am not really sure what the problem is. I am a very active sleeper and I sleep on my side as well. I also own a Hennessy A-sym side entry zip. But mine is the explorer edition. The first time I layed in it, it felt awkward but still comfortable. After a few tries, it is now the only way I want to sleep. You can roll around in it all you want. I have never had trouble with that. Perhaps you just need a larger hammock.

Hammocks may work for most people but there is always gonna be that 1 or 2 people that just dont like it. Just like sleeping on the ground isnt for everybody, hammocks arnt for everybody, either. HYOH. Most would agree that only making 1 attempt to use the hammock is just not enough, knowing that alot of people dont get the hang of hammocks until a few nights out.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Not posting to troll for a reply, or to convince you you're wrong to go back to the ground, I'm a huge HYOH guy. I will share what I learned: I think you'll find that many people here (including me), when not in a hammock, are "very active side sleepers". Just ask my wife...

Anyway, if you're into fiddling with the concept, you may just become a hammocking stereotype like me! Borrow or big +1 on the tableclothsfactory DIY to figure it out... it's a low / no cost experiment. Either way, good luck!
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I also encourage you to try it again. Maybe in your yard if you can so you can experiment. Could well be you hung it too tight. Good sag is very important.

And I am also a pretty active sleeper in a bed because I can't get comfortable! In my hammock, once I hit the secret spot, I hardly move at all and come out very rested.

(speaking of which... nap time for Bonzo!)

Good luck!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I am an active sleeper as well and tend to sleep on my side in a bed. I do so in my hammock as well - mine is a Kammok, which is pretty large and I hang with a good amount of sag giving me a nice cradled feeling while still fairly flat.

I also sleep with a 2/3rd length pad - but let the air out so it is just insulation - that makes a huge difference with comfort for me.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I don't have any experience with the hammock you have. But my DIY gatherend @ 11' long is very comfortable. I usually can't sleep on my back, but can in this. Also, I toss and turn all night, do it in the bed at home and in the hammock. I can sleep on my side and on my belly. Most of the time, I am a side sleeper. As someone suggested, maybe you should try and make a hammock from one of the tablecloths. If you do a search on here, you can find the thread for them.

Good luck in what you decide, even if it's being a ground dweller
    As Shug has said, as long as your getting out in the woods.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    I'm a new hanger as well. it took me a week of fiddling with a cheap hammock tied off to the railings on my deck before I was comfortable taking it out.

Went to a KOA one weekend with the kids and tried hanging there. Stock chordage was too short so I improvised using a friend's rope and then experimented with various things before I found an attitude I liked. I slept like a rock all night and did not budge until well after everyone else got up...

Keep experimenting and find what works for you. This method worked for me and now I'm on my way to make my own hammock!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    While hindsight is 20/20 trying your setup in the backyard probably would've allowed you to fiddle with things before you're out on the trail and have limited alternatives. I'm a rotisserie sleeper in my bed but still sleep fine in a hammock. I can't imagine going back to ground unless there isn't a tree in sight. Give it another shot! Or three!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    One night in a short H&H could very well be enough for some. A bad night's rest is a bad night's rest.

As reported, you can always go to ground. I'd give it another try using something with 10 to 11' in length and 60" in width. Tablecloth hammock would work great for this due to the price. Whip it a few different ways, and experiment with an adjustable RL, until you like.

Taking a hammock directly into the woods w/o some serious back yard testing and tweaking certainly raises your odds of having a poor experience in the woods. To be honest, like everyone else, there is a learning curve. If you really want it to work, keep working at it. You may become pleasantly surprised.

Even at the height of my ground dwelling days, I rarely slept well until the second or third night out. I'm not the only one.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    GT Dbl
    Tarp
    GG11'
    Insulation
    PLUQ+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ENO AtlasStraps
    I'm an active sleeper as well -- my wife HATES it as she is a fairly light sleeper. I toss and turn when I'm in a bed or on the ground. However, I can sleep in my hammock (ENO DN) with relatively little squirming and tossing and turning -- and sometimes, I do roll around to my side for awhile. My ENO DN is a decent length and its width helps with settling into the "sweet spot," but I'd love to get a longer hammock to have more "room."

Give it a few more chances and try out some other hammocks before truly throwing in the towel. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast