Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I am pretty clueless about the potential locations, so I am hoping someone else can help us choose. I did look up golden gate, and it seemed like there wasn't much availability to book for that weekend.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Pickle Gulch is Nice

I've been lurking on this thread as a new Colorado hanger, even though I'm not available this weekend (I hope to make a future group hang).

Pickle Gulch is near Golden Gate and is a great group campground. You might have to drive over to Golden Gate or similar for good hikes, but this location has group sites for good prices and lots of trees.
    http://campincolorado.com/federal/ar...kle_gulch.html
    http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgr...&parkCode=picg

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I am pretty clueless about the potential locations, so I am hoping someone else can help us choose. I did look up golden gate, and it seemed like there wasn't much availability to book for that weekend.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Two other quick notes on pickle gulch - I looked and it has one site left for the weekend in question. The other is that, depending on the site, you sometimes have to walk your gear in to the site (20-100 yards, depending on the site). The campground does provide wheelbarrows to help get gear from the parking area to the sites.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Images
    i'm gonna go check out a place up by idaho springs today after work. sounds promising though, forest service land, low traffic and lots of random undesignated camp sites all over.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i'm gonna go check out a place up by idaho springs today after work. sounds promising though, forest service land, low traffic and lots of random undesignated camp sites all over.
    I like the idea of sticking to the Idaho Springs area a lot - can't wait to hear your report!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev / Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Between a couple of archery elk excursions (came home empty-handed but did get to hang!) I missed this thread. I'm working most weekends through the end of the year (band gigs and pyrotechnics for the Broncos) but hope to make the next Colorado get-togther.
    Dave
    Where ever you go, there you are?

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post

Pickle Gulch is near Golden Gate and is a great group campground.

-Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    either of these areas would work great for myself and sodakgrrl

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

I'm not much for planning group anythings - hangs, hikes, ski/snowboard trips, family gatherings - so I probably won't be much help. I haven't been to many actual campgrounds, so I also don't know many good ones to suggest. I tend to hike or 4wd in. Idaho Springs would be nice. Not too far out of the Denver/C Springs front range area. Looking at Saturday only for myself, but I could get there early in the morning for breakfast possibly.
    AARN USA - North America Distributors

Images
    ok, checked out an area called the barbour fork trail yesterday. it's technically a 4wd trail (class 3) so most people will want to hike it unless you do recreational 4wd, my buddy said "no problem, your toyota can handle it easily". i should have known better as he used to be big into 4wd...it was pretty hardcore, lots of getting out of the car to give me hand motions and guidence, felt lucky to get out of there without any damage, but no worry, it's a beautiful mile or 2 hike in depending on where we camp.

it's about 10 min drive from downtown idaho springs/1-70. there's a big parking lot and then pretty rough/narrow 4wd trail(s) starting there. several different options once in the area. losts of pines, aspens, and meadows in the area. was really nice and the aspens are still a mix of green and yellow there, so the timing might be perfect. there are no restrooms or facilities at all, no designated campsites, but it's all forest service land and we saw plenty of stone fire rings. area is used mainly for 4wd and target shooting but we didn't see anybody out there and it sounds like it doesn't get much traffic even in summer. the main trail is about a 4 mile loop which would make for a nice hike for anyone interested, along with other trail that we didn't explore.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    This location sounds good, and I'm sure there will be at least one real 4wd vehicle there, if we need someone to help us shuttle coolers/etc to the sites.

My only concern is lack of pit toilets - with a group this size, a bunch of cat holes can get kinda unpleasant.

We need to get a location nailed down SOON, so any opinions or alternatives are welcome.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast