Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Thumbs up black cat 2 tarp

just got mine finished 5 1/2 hours but man it looks good if I have to say so myself pictures to come tomorrow. this one I will take in the day light found a new way to make my cat curve thanks to ed speers. he was alot of help with lots of short cut and thanks to blackbisop for I could not have done it with out his input. pic to come now time to play. ps. like the underquilt and top cover hope to never have to build anymore but problelly will till later peace
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Images
    Please share. I am interested to hear what shortcuts Ed has.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I definitely am too - especially since, strictly speaking, there AREN'T any shortcuts to a "true" catenary curve.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Yeah I'm not saying the math held up to my sewing, cutting, and measuring skills. But I there is a decent amount of Trig behind the cat cut.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Yeah I'm not saying the math held up to my sewing, cutting, and measuring skills. But I there is a decent amount of Trig behind the cat cut.
    It's not even the trig that's the problem. Anybody in a HS geometry class (and those that REMEMBER HS geometry ) can figure the trig for the hex shape. The catenary function just isn't solvable in closed form for a given set of constraints. It has to be done numerically, requiring some sort of computer program.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images

wellllll

instead of all the math that by the way Im not good at. you said 6in center point. took 7 foot of paper and a rope taped it to both ends and the wall. put it to the mark of 6ins traced cut out then folded 24foot or 8yards of black sil for a 12 foot ridge then folded inhalf to find true center then I marked three foot 1and a 1/4 inches then I cut the hex then cut the cat. both sides at the same time. now no matter how I fold it it is all even. hope this helps did it the country boy way with some help i might add .thanks everyone
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    It's not even the trig that's the problem. Anybody in a HS geometry class (and those that REMEMBER HS geometry ) can figure the trig for the hex shape. The catenary function just isn't solvable in closed form for a given set of constraints. It has to be done numerically, requiring some sort of computer program.
    It's been so long ago . I might more in the terms of sine and cosine, then trig and geometry.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
    instead of all the math that by the way Im not good at. you said 6in center point. took 7 foot of paper and a rope taped it to both ends and the wall. put it to the mark of 6ins traced cut out then folded 24foot or 8yards of black sil for a 12 foot ridge then folded inhalf to find true center then I marked three foot 1and a 1/4 inches then I cut the hex then cut the cat. both sides at the same time. now no matter how I fold it it is all even. hope this helps did it the country boy way with some help i might add .thanks everyone
    OK gotcha. That should work fine, actually. For me it's just easier to mess up without precise measurements.

Images

If it works, then go with it. Mine is tight except for the couple sewing errors I made. I might talk myself into a new one to correct this. It works fine just looks a little off, but then again so do I.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that sounds like the way i would have to do it... the country boy way<g>.
    i'm not much on math either.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast