Hammock
    Clark UL
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    0*Burrow 20*Phoeni
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    Good thread, and now after reading this I have to try it!

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    kisses and gratitude, Sarge! I so enjoyed meeting you and your son this weekend! Thank you for being ready to give me the whoopie.... (sling lesson!)

Tell your son to keep catching bugs, of all sort, and to keep them around a while, to see what they do. Nothing beats observation when you are studying/considering science!!!

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Michelle, if you want to really get good at splicing, get some braided mason's line and practice making whoopie slings with that. Then you'll know you have it down pat.

Ellis

Hammock
    Mosquito Free Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Cheapo
    Insulation
    In Hawaii? Nah!
    Suspension
    Tree Straps, Biner
    Thanks for the link!
    Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are........

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    Ggggrrrr! I'm on my second try on whoopies and still no joy. What a mess! Maybe I should have waited more than two weeks after cutting off my finger.

Some people make this look so easy but, for me, it's hard hard hard. I can't seem to get the amsteel compacted enough to pull a length through the bury. Once I get it in there it gets stuck. Then sometimes I can't get it out, either. All the while my amsteel is getting frayed and the color bleeds and fades. Ugh!

I think I'm gonna have to find one of those 'loop turner' thingies.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock_monk View Post
    Ggggrrrr! I'm on my second try on whoopies and still no joy. What a mess! Maybe I should have waited more than two weeks after cutting off my finger.

Some people make this look so easy but, for me, it's hard hard hard. I can't seem to get the amsteel compacted enough to pull a length through the bury. Once I get it in there it gets stuck. Then sometimes I can't get it out, either. All the while my amsteel is getting frayed and the color bleeds and fades. Ugh!

I think I'm gonna have to find one of those 'loop turner' thingies.
    I tried to use the plastic needle, but didn't get very far. I then used a piece of wire. I am not sure the gage, but it still had its rubberized coat on it. It only needs to be about 20" maybe 24". I find that after picking out a few threds from the end and cutting them, that you can pinch the end of the whoopie into the end of the wire folded over. I find pulling better then pushing. I then incert the wire where needed and come out at the desired spot. I the put the cut end of amstel and pull it into the core. The hardest part for me is the initial hole. once its inside I dont so much as pull as I force the scrunched up amstel against the end of the wire. If its tight I roll the wire end ( with the whoopie end stuck inside) around in between my finger while I am either pulling the exposed wire end or pushing the amstel up over the tight spot. The best way I can describe it is to thing of a snake. How the snake wiggles and twisted to slide the meal down. I know I am not an expert but I have made 6 so far and done them all in a few minutes while watching tv.

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Monk-
    Don't give up. There is a certain amount of finesse involved and it will come to you eventually.
    It is probably one or two little things you may not be doing exactly right.
    Little things that make it harder include-
    -not cleanly burrowing into or exiting the amsteel. In other words, poking in and out of the amsteel within a fiber bundle and not between the bundles. This makes it harder to pull the amsteel into the beginning of the bury and causes it to bunch up.
    -pulling or pushing too hard. There is a magical balance between just the right amount of compression of the amsteel bury area and too much.
    -bunched tapers. If you taper the amsteel before you attach it to your threading device (wire or loop turner) it pulls in easier. If you do like I did at first- cut it sloppily or leave lumps- it will bunch up at the point it enters the amsteel and form something like a knot.
    I wound up watching a lot of Youtube videos and trying to see what they were doing that I was not. Eventually it fell into place.
    Keep trying and good luck.
    "Live your life so that your children can tell their children that you not only stood for something wonderful- you acted on it"
    -Dan Zadra

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    Sarge,
    Thank you for the tips. I will keep them in mind as I make my third attempt later today. I picked up a loop turner at the fabric store and I hope that will make it easier.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock_monk View Post
    ...I picked up a loop turner at the fabric store and I hope that will make it easier.
    If you didn't see it, take a look at the link in post #17 of this thread to see how it looks to bury with the loop turner.

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I made another set of whoopies, for my 7 yards of DL Fabric.

Taken one of the idea's from here.. using a Wire. longer then the bury.. Then bend half, poke through other side for length of bury.. open wire up, thread in a tapered end in.. Slowly feed it in. and milking it.. Grabbing with Pliers.. and slowly pulling.. POOF in it went.. Done.. Instead of 4 hours for two whoopies.. made Two in 1 hour..

Right tool makes easy.. First time I did not add lube to it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast