Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images

Amsteel is Directional!

Success! On my third attempt I had good success with whoopies for both ends of my hammock. The trick for me was discovering that the direction I was threading the Amsteel was important. See below:

In the picture above, working from left to right tends to open the braiding of the Amsteel while working from right to left tends to close it up. I was effectively working from the wrong direction and making it difficult to open up the Amsteel. Once I took advantage of the directional nature of the Amsteel making the whoopies was as easy as some people have made it sound.

No doubt for some of you my explanation about the directional nature of Amsteel is obvious. However, in all the descriptions and all the videos that I've seen about making whoopie slings I have never seen that factor identified.

Now for the kicker: for those of you with strong stomachs here is a link to my gallery where you can see a photo of the right hand and wrist I used to do my whoopies. Truly, if I can make whoopie slings two weeks after chopping off my finger and doing a DIY carpal tunnel release anyone can (I mean anyone can make whoopie slings--I don't recommend the stuff I did with my hand).

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock_monk View Post
    ...In the picture above, working from left to right tends to open the braiding of the Amsteel while working from right to left tends to close it up....
    Actually there is nothing directional about amsteel blue at all. Turn the amsteel in your photo 1/8th of a turn and it points the other direction.

When making a whoopie sling, the bury from the fixed eye is buried from one direction while the adjustable bury is done from the opposite direction.

You just got the hang of.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    Hmm, maybe you're right. It sure seemed different going the other direction, but maybe that just gave me the mental reset I needed.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    The way you do the buries is directional based on the tool (Ie. a yarn needle or a loophook).

i learned to do it by watching this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgVZVLWjtto

and after tyring many types of wires from coat hangers to break lines to flower arranging wire. i settled on this.

http://www.bestglide.com/snare_wire.html

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings

woopie tools

The best wire I have found for working woopie slings is. .013 solid fishing wire used to make fishing bate rigs for salt water. You can get it a stores near the coast or a sports warehouse store.I can make a woopie in zingit with a I spliced at one end and a bead in a I spliced in the adjustable end in about 15 min. I use woppies or prussit loops on all of my tarp lines and my ridge line.

Hammock
    Clark UL
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    0*Burrow 20*Phoeni
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    I made my first set of whoopies, I used the heavier weight picture hanging wire and doubled it and twisted it to form the loop. Worked like a charm.

Hammock
    HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web
    I use a splicing wand from byron toss and upgraded the tension knob to a quick release. The tool is awesome. It slides right into amsteel and splices like it's nobody's business. Whoopie slings take five minutes to make, depending on how motivated I feel. It was spendy, but I knew I was going to do a lot of splicing and was tired of the piano wire!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Sweet looking tool, but for whoopie slings, I'll stick with the Dritz loop turner at 1/10 the cost.

Hammock
    HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web
    I have the dritz loop turner but never had any luck using it on amsteel (trouble pulling it back through with the other end attached). I have resigned to using it for turning tubes inside out and couldn't be happier with my overly spendy tool.

However, when I do need more splicing wands, and I do anticipate that I will, I'll be building them myself; especially now that I understand the principle behind them.

Nothing I can't do with a little solder, a stainless steel tube, some super-glue, a small block of 2"x2" wood, a quick release lever from the bicycle shop, and a few hand tools.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast