Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps

Question Got the Fabric now need the Thread Injector!

So I ordered two 156" x 90" nylon Crinkle taffeta tablecloths from
    www.tableclothsfactory.com. I know they are to big for a double layer hammock, maybe, but given that I am 6' 6" and a Big guy I wanted to start with at least 12' goods. The 72" would have been great, but they only had it in 10' lengths. Which is kinda funny considering that they make the tablecloth material, well according to the wed site.

Anyway, now that I have all this fabric showing up on Friday (tomorrow) I guess I need a way to sew it after I cut it. This is where I need your all's help, well I need lots of help but lets stay on subject here.

SEWING MACHINES aka THREAD INJECTORS! ANY RECOMMENDATIONS????

I have found, online, several local stores that carry many many brands and models, some WAY out of my budget some so so, I have not actually been to the stores yet, I am hoping to go on Saturday to look at what they have and what brands they carry locally. Is Singer still good? What about Brother? Or ????

Or should I skip the new stuff and hit the local thrift shops for used machines? Again any recommendations on what I should be looking for? I sewed 20+ years ago, but can't remember much about the machine, it was mom's or dad's.

I also have a Old Sears Kenmore, I got this from my Dad when he passed a way and it has just been sitting in a closet. It has a cover and is Light Green and cream white, no label on the machine but a label on the motor, 2139 (1.2 amps) The thing is heavy!!

Correction; It OPENS!! Model # 158.330 SN#00038XX It looks to be in decent shape, no rust that I can see, but lots of lent/dust. Probably needs a good cleaning. Should I take is to someone? Or is that easy? Manual Link?

SO may questions!! Please help!!!

EDIT: This is what it looks like, but the model numbers don't match?

It says it's a model 1301? Not sure how to find the correct manual on this site (sewingmachinemanual.net) the numbers don't match their numbers.

Wolfman
    Last edited by Wolfman; 10-26-2012 at 00:06.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Never a bad idea to take it to a sewing machine shop and have it serviced... That unit should out live you, if you take care of it... Don't buy another machine!

Taking it to a shop also gives you an opportunity to have them show you how to use it (for a minute or two).

^^^^ all RamblinRev's previous recommendations... he's the sewing Guru around here... Learned all I know from him...

Watch Rev's videos... helps a LOT.

Nice find!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    For gear making you have all you need in that Kenmore. Simple cleaning is easy to on your own. The current problem is the longer the crud sits, the harder it gets. It is tough to remove hardened varnish/crud using a home workshop set up. A good professional cleaning would make sure everything is tip top and you'll be good to go for quite a while. It never hurts to develop a friendship with the local repair/service center. They can be really helpful down the road.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    That's a good machine right there! Does it say made in Japan on the base or under the motor?

I have a model 158 Kenmore as well; looks like yours is an older (better) model though.

Get her cleaned up or do it yourself, it's pretty easy. If you have mechanical issues (vibrating, weird noises etc) then have it serviced by a pro and they will also clean it at the same time. This will likely cost more than the machine is really worth, but it is hard to put a 'market value' on a good old machine you already have.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Found it. The image you have is the correct machine; a Kenmore Model 33 (158.330) produced between 1966-1967. The 158 source code is the Jaguar/Maruzen built machine; most were built in Japan but a few were from Taiwan.

It is generally believed that the Japan models are better, but I had a Taiwan model (that I have since passed along) that was a good machine as well.

Kenmore 158 manual

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO it's worth putting some money into. That's a fine machine. You can plan on bequeathing it in your will if you take care of it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Kammock Roo, HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HeX
    Insulation
    EE 20* TQ & DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dynex Cinch Buckle
    I would have it looked over and give it a good cleaning.

Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks for all the replies, I guess I don't need to go buy a new machine. But I think I will have this one checked and cleaned. To be honest I have not even turned it on, so I guess I should do that too. I am going to download a manual, and check with who ever I take it to about a service manual, I was not able to find on of those on line anywhere. Not that searching for that is very easy!! So much junk out there on the web.

So next question, what do I use for thread?

Also is there a was to search for threads or subject matter?

Wolf

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    For thread, only Gutermann (IMHO anyway); I use the Tex 40 and 50 sizes. The Tex 40 is the Mara 70 and the Tex 50 is the Tera 60. Yea I know, confusing...
    DIY Gear Supply carries both, plus a few other sizes.

I use a size 80 needle with the Tex 40 thread and a size 90 needle with the Tex 50 thread. Depending on how heavy I am sewing there is some crossover with this combination. For example, I can sew medium fabric with both the Tex 40/80 needle or Tex 50/90 needle; lighter and I switch to the smaller combo, heavier and I switch to the larger combo. But this just about covers everything I sew for gear.

• + New Posts